1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder + Vox V112NT cab = WIN (video demo)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by WholeLottaGlove, Oct 29, 2012.

1. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Tele-Meister

Today, I just scored a new Vox Night Train V112NT extension cab on the cheap :D
    I got it home, plugged it in with my Vox Pathfinder 15 and my jaw hit the floor. It adds so much to the Pathfinder's already stellar tone. I truly believe they are a perfect match. Where the Pathfinder tends to be a bit bright by itself, the V112NT compliments the tone by adding some bottom and dark character. This is especially noticeable while using the Pathfinder's onboard gain. I never touched it before, but since adding the cab I can't get enough!

I'm so excited about it, I decided to make my first amp demo. Hopefully, you will be able to hear the differences. Hope you like it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

Isn't it great when you experiment like this and get results that meet or exceed your tone search?
    I have the Pathfinder amp and have tried it with various other cabs, mostly closed back because I'm primarily a bass player.
    It's a wonderful amp. Glad you're liking it even better than before.

3. WholeLottaGlove

Yeah, I feel pretty lucky!! I was a bit concerned that the 16 ohm cab wouldn't work well with the Pathfinder's 8 ohm out, but it works and sounds terrific.

4. bigp7099

bigp7099 Tele-Holic

Is it a lot louder through that cab, I was thinking of getting an nt110 for my p15r didn't know there was a 112

5. WholeLottaGlove

It is louder, and the added volume is of a higher quality imho. It sounds much fuller. As I said, I was concerned about volume loss because I read using a 16 ohm extension cab would drop the power by half... I certainly don't hear that!

6. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

That sounds much better with that cab.

You don't want the V110NT. I have one. The cab is too small for a closed-back for that speaker and it is made of MDF (so is the V112NT, but it's an open-back and proportionately bigger). The Celestion/Vox VX10 isn't that great either, too bright (I didn't let it thoroughly beak in before swapping it either). I swapped the speaker for a Weber 10VS hemp cone speaker, lined it with felt (to absorb some of the resonance) and made a birch plywood back for it. It now gives me a warm 60's vintage tone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

Liking it for sure!
    I'm getting one now!

There are many different ext. cabs out there made with real wood, i'm interested in the results of some of them too.

8. WholeLottaGlove

You won't regret it. That cab just brings out the best of the Pathfinder. Perfect companion can IMHO.

9. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

What a score, Lefty. . .that sounds really awesome. Makes the high gain sound much improved as well. .

10. bigp7099

bigp7099 Tele-Holic

Interesting thanks vox 112 cab or mustang iii? Good thing I don't have to decide today

11. WholeLottaGlove

Thanks! Yes, it is a drastic improvement when using gain. I'm thinking of making a second video to demonstrate that a bit better (the first was just really quick and a bit hasty; I was excited!!:oops:)

I was playing it with a humbucker equipped guitar with the same settings (gain @ noon) and that thing smoked.

12. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

cool. . .looking forward to the next video. .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.