1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. saxjag

saxjag TDPRI Member

Finnlander and gndboy: I play two 6-string console lap steels through my PF15R -- a Melobar SuperSteel and a Supro Jet Airliner. They both sound great. I like lots of reverb, so I replaced the amp's modest reverb unit with a US-made Accutronics tank. No other mods. Go for it.

2. gndboy

gndboy Tele-Meister

saxjag - Tres cool! Does the Accutronics unit fit without external modification? That might be a good one also for the AC15VR. My lap steel is a beat up old 1947 Supro brown MOTS V4319 with permanent cloth insulation cord! It is to die for. Haven't tried it through the Vox yet; I have a 1965 Supro 16T amp. The plastic tuner buttons are slowly reverting to dust.

Chiogtr4x - well I guess that's the proof-loading test gone good. It's interesting to observe the P15R can be well-transported in a hat box, with enough room left for cables, picks, and backup strings. I do believe that if you get to play a gig the P15R can cover well, it is a sign from God that y'all are cool.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

^^I dig the Pathfinder for simple smaller laid back gigs, where I just don't feel like setting up pedals etc. , as I will for larger (more 'pro') gigs. Thanks to clip on tuners- nice to know for these gigs all I need now is guitar/ one cable/Pathfinder!

I will say a big part of the reason I love this amp is that I'm the only electric guitar player in the bands I play. There may be steel guitar, acoustic guitar, or harmonica (plus bass and drums, or not...) so I never have to fight for 'musical space'/volume issues with another electric. Also having quiet drummers (when needed) is a huge variable!;) So the PF15 here is just a perfect fit.

4. stantonmanton

stantonmanton Tele-Meister

Just placed an order for a restocked Pathfinder on MF for $99, shipping included. If anyone is interested I would suggest heading over there and placing an order. Solid deal.

5. Finnlander

Finnlander TDPRI Member

Thank you for for your informative reply.

Not so many Melobars and Supros in circulation here on the rural areas but i have put on a searchlight for 6-string lap steel and I'm sure something will pop up eventually.

I figured that I could modify a cheap keyboard stand to be my console for lap steel.

The key word is portability so I'm not keen on carrying around pedals and stuff if I can avoid it. Pathfinder's reverb didn't please you but I'll have to see if I can manage with the built in. And gndboy hope you manage to find a solution for your reverb issue.

The stadium for our jamsessions is going to be an cottage on an island where the electricity is produced by solar-panels and generator. The audience consists of wild animals around and fishes in the sea. We don't rely on instant success though...

6. Chiogtr4x

Reverb, small 'user tip':

Of course the PF15's reverb is limited/not very deep, but it is real spring...It does seem like (in my case) that there is more audible reverb depth if you keep keep the Gain control as low as you can, yet still go for maximum clean volume from the amp- for me that is Gain @ 10-11 clock and Volume maxxed...still it is limited- but I can live with it

edit: Boost OFF

7. gndboy

gndboy Tele-Meister

Yes, I think the same about the P15R internal reverb - it's actually OK, especially with the amp all cleaned up.

My mother-in-law loves to listen to me play! Then, I just take the amp into the practice room when the wife gripes. What is not to love about this amp?

8. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

Does anyone know any info on these little guys?

9. Chiogtr4x

^^ very cool, but noticing NO Reverb control...

10. littlericky

littlericky Tele-Meister

Missing the "string" piping as well.

11. Chiogtr4x

Yup, AND if you look closely these little Voxes have what looks to be reinforced (plastic) corners, which is practical, but not nearly as cool looking as our Pathfinders!;)

edit: but I still like the colors! Pathfinders rule, I'd love a white or cream one!

12. WGD1

WGD1 TDPRI Member

I don't know about the "colors" but to each his own. I like my stock black PF15r with the brown grill cloth.
    Hey has anyone had trouble with their PF foot switch? It seems that sometimes my tremolo button doesn't work when stepped on?

13. stantonmanton

Guess who has a brand new Pathfinder arriving by the end of the day? This guy! Now if I only had a tele to plug into it...:neutral:

14. ChrisinMO

ChrisinMO TDPRI Member

You will have a blast!!!! Get a good overdrive and 12" extension speaker and you won't be able to put your guitar down. Good for you. Enjoy!!!

15. stantonmanton

I can't wait! I am thinking about getting the OCD once I save enough money. Does anyone have any experience with using the OCD and PF together? Any other good overdrive suggestions out there?

16. ChrisinMO

ChrisinMO TDPRI Member

I use a Boss OS-2 and it Rocs!!!!

17. Chiogtr4x

I have used an MHP Si 'Fuzz Face' clone, a Biyang TS-808 clone, a GFS Rat clone (I guess I'm King of the Clones, but they sound great/good build) and a Barber Direct Drive and all these sound fantastic with my Pathfinder.

My fave is the Biyang Mad Driver (the TS clone), with the amp at high volume and moderate Gain (11 clock) I can toggle between a great clean tone and an OD that just picks up naturally from there; a little attenuation of the low end, which is a good thing for a nice lead blast... these two were meant for each other!;)

18. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah I think it sounds great with the Pathfinder. Actually I find that the OCD sounds great with all of my amps, except my Princeton Reverb. Sounds bad with that amp for some reason.

19. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

Just don't put in a Jensen P8R.. it sounds terrible... The stock speaker, or one designed like one is much better sounding. The Jensen sounded raspy and it made a Wah sound absolutely horrible.

I'm sure that speaker sounds great in other amps, but not in the Pathfinder..

20. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Tele-Meister

+1K. A good 1x12 cab (such as the Vox V112NT) makes the PF sound HUGE. I bought a Ibanez TSA15H and A/B'd it against the PF through the V112N. The Pathfinder held it's own and then some. If not for the Ibanez's effects loop and built in TS, I would still have the PF as my main amp!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.