1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. PigFloyd

PigFloyd TDPRI Member

I just bought one the other day, Pathfinder 15R.
    Love it so far.

2. frenchi-farina

frenchi-farina Tele-Meister

I bought a second one when I realized I did'nt need anything different but still... I needed more! :)

3. PigFloyd

PigFloyd TDPRI Member

Here it is :p
    I returned a Fender Mustang for the VOX. The pre-sets on the Fender were cool, I just couldn't get into it much.

[​IMG]

4. Tele Bee

Tele Bee Tele-Meister

Finally got up the nerve to sell my AD30VT Vox amp to GC for money towards a Pathfinder. The AD30Vox was just sitting around, because of my frustration with all the effects, knobs, buttons, gizmos, and worst of all, no separate reverb option. Also, that cage grill was kinda ugly. I cant wait to get a Pathfinder 15R.

5. iagtrplyr12

iagtrplyr12 Tele-Meister

Yeah, TB, but ya got to admit the grill was great for grating cheese! Enjoy your Pathfinder.

6. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Tele-Meister

I have done the same, and while I think the 8" Blue Pup speaker holds together a bit better when pushed, I am wondering if folks have gone through the trouble of putting a 10" in the amp. I know some have done a Ragin Cajun and I think a Ramrod, but what about a 10" Greenback or ceramic Blue?

7. Finnlander

Finnlander TDPRI Member

Congratulations to you all who bought Pathfinder recently. And I have a question to all menbers hope you could take your time and give me some advice. I have lately considered to buy a lap steel guitar ( reasonably priced for my thin wallet) to play through my PF15R. I have other amps both tube and SS but I'm thinking to use it mainly with PF. Do you have any ideas or experiences with lap steels through PF?

8. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Great question Mr Finnlander. . .I am eager to hear a report.

9. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Here's a wild question. . .is it possible for someone skilled in amp technology, to study the Pathfinder and then fabricate a handwired point to point amp that emulates the Pathfinder? If so, that would make it easier to hack this amazing little amp. .

10. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

The PF15R craves low output single coils (as do most SS amps), dial in about 8pm on the gain, 12pm on everything else and you're in a zone that is great for a saturated vox sound. I sometimes roll the bass back a little for more jangle, think of subtractive eq like a mixing desk.

Just a touch of reverb and the rest is in your hands. It's actually quite an unforgiving amp, so if your guitar sounds like **** through it, more than likely either you suck or your guitar does!

11. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

I get a kick out of how everyone has it figured out what this amp sounds best with!
    Myself, I use my PRS with humbuckers and it's the cats meow, , some say single coils with Tele or Strat...

This thing is really better than any little 5 watt tube amp out there IMO!

Let's face it... this thing is a little solid state wonder!!!!

I bet that the day they stop making them , there is going to be a buying frenzy on these things with people putting 2nd and 3rd Pathfinders in their closets for down the road! People freaking out , etc.!

lol

Long live the Pathfinder!

12. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

it really is a wonderful simple little amp. It reminds me of the old Marshall lead 12 amp, another great amp. I believe Billy Gibbons played with those for a while?

A small amp stand would really benefit this amp!

13. jomazq

jomazq Tele-Meister

Well, there is that nice new diagram someone put up. I bet there's at least two of us that could get it put together eventually. ;) assuming the diagram is correct

14. littlericky

littlericky Tele-Meister

The schematic came from the Vox service manual, so it's the best reference available. I've noticed where at least one of the cap values was different but the amp has been in production for a dozen years.

15. gndboy

gndboy Tele-Meister

Hand Wired & stuff

I suppose someone somewhere could do this (hand wiring), but I think it's easier to work on a PCB circuit with through-hole components.

When one considers the tolerances on the parts commonly used these days in mass-produced consumer electronics not using surface-mount components, the uniformity of the P15R sound is remarkable. Somebody REALLY got this right.

I am wondering along with Finnlander about the P15R for lap steel. Will report presently.

The stock 8" speaker is really quite good; the only reason I put a Weber Alnico in my amp was for a bit more/better transparent highs (and it was on sale). The Weber did that, and unexpectedly also gave better touch dynamics. I guess it is the whole circuit that works together. This was a big surprise.

I have encountered a couple threads (one on the Vox USA 'site IIRC) regarding fitting a 10" speaker into the P15R. They required modification of the baffle, and the choice of drivers was limited by available clearance.

16. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Cool, so it could be done, but maybe better on PCB.

Glad to know the weber alnico is working good.

The Blues Jr, Pro Jr. and Super Champ XD have all had 3rd party cabinets made. I wonder if there will ever be someone making 12" cabs for Pathfinders. . .that would be a benchmark and useful. When I have heard the 15R through a 2x12 and 4x12 cabs it has been exceptional. . .having a 12 inch cab would be very convenient so you don't have to worry about the weight and bulk of infernal externals. .

17. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

One of the cabinet makers on Ebay says he can build cabinets for amps not listed. I considered looking in it, but buying a $250 cabinet then a speaker for a $120 amp did not add up for me. Plus, the Pathfinder cabinet looks so nice, I would not be able to gut it. So I stuck with an extension cabinet that can work with pretty much all my smaller amps.

18. gndboy

gndboy Tele-Meister

I love my P15R just because it's so good by itself.

19. littlericky

littlericky Tele-Meister

The problem with building larger Vox style cabinets is the cost. All the Vox bits , grille, logo add up. I've done a few and the cost for parts is probably $250.

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

my 'Pathfinder durability test' , moment:

Played a classic country gig on the outdoor deck of a small brew pub last night- ( tight, close quarters for the band) and had my Pathfinder sitting on a 4' barstool just to my right, and during a break, my right elbow caught the back of the amp, pretty much slamming the amp face down on the wood floor- belly flop!- big 'reverb crash' sound, but no dmage, inside or out- played 2 more sets, plus test drive today, this amp is a little wonder!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.