1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Mark76

Mark76 TDPRI Member

I'll be playing a Squier VM Jaguar. Our bassist, Zac, will be playing a Peavey bass through a 100 watt Vox bass amp. And our drummer (Vez) will be playing whatever is provided.

Thanks guys :D

2. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

I tried this suggestion but it still comes up with 49.11 shipping, even after I boosted the order to over 25.00. I guess Canadians aren't eligible for the deals. To be honest, I realized after posting last night that there's something else to consider.....Musicians Friend will only ship to me by UPS, which means an extra 30.00 in brokerage fees. By the time I pay for the speaker (23.75), the shipping (49.11), the brokerage (30.00), and the HST sales tax (8.75), the speaker would cost more than the amp would brand new.

I tried sourcing the Jensen speaker here, but there's no Canadian distributor.

3. Mark76

Mark76 TDPRI Member

Well, I'm back from the gig and I have video. Will post it to youtube tomorrow

4. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

Postscript to my speaker problem posts....I talked to a guy who rebuilds speakers. At his suggestion, I resoldered the tinsel wire and everything's fine. Apparently this is a characteristic problem with the entry level Vox speakers. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone who encounters this problem in the future.

5. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

Looking forward to that, hope it went well.

I'm looking for info on how to date with the serial number. If anyone can find any info, please post...
    Mine begins with 07 and it is brown grill cloth so I thought it was made in 2007. I'm thinking that's not the case though, due to the other thread.

6. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

I know what you mean, it's very frustrating. That kind of thing happens all the time.

7. gndboy

gndboy Tele-Meister

LGO - Yep, about five miles north. I bought my P15R new and it has the brown grille. Replacing the stock speaker required disassembly; I was impressed with the neatness of the layout and the quality of the construction. In particular, I was astonished to see a fairly large ferrite bead on the speaker lead where it exits the chassis. I don't recall ever seeing one of these on any stock amp of any make.

8. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Re: differences -
    I know that there are Made in Korea and Made in Vietnam Pathfinders, and allegedly there has been revisions to the circuit / components.
    I dont know if any of that manifest itself in any sonic differences.

I assume Korea = earlier, and Vietnam = later / current.

9. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Tele-Meister

Hey guys- late to the party, but thinking about picking one up when my C1 is too loud for the house...

Has anyone tried a Weber Alnico blue pup 8 in their Pathfinder? $48 for a hand-made speaker is pretty reasonable. ;)

Further, how much of an impedance mismatch can these amps handle? I have an extra 4 ohm speaker lying around the house.

10. gndboy

gndboy Tele-Meister

I put a Weber Blue Pup alnico in my P15R about a year ago and I like it a lot.

Vox specifies eight ohms as the minimum load, and I believe them.

11. Mark76

Mark76 TDPRI Member

You can hear my PF in action at my youtube channel. Just search for mark761966

12. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

That little Vox seems to cut through OK, in fact it is drowning quite a bit of other stuff out even.;)

15 watts of SS power, competing well with drums and a bassist through 100 watt amp.

13. Mark76

Mark76 TDPRI Member

Tbf, it is being helped by the PA. And how did you know that was a 100 watt bass combo?

14. Sollophonic

I quote "I'll be playing a Squier VM Jaguar. Our bassist, Zac, will be playing a Peavey bass through a 100 watt Vox bass amp. And our drummer (Vez) will be playing whatever is provided".

15. Mark76

Mark76 TDPRI Member

Oh yeah. I forgot about that :D

16. fabou13

fabou13 TDPRI Member

For those who have a line 6 pod studio device, you can send the line output of the PF15R to the guitar input of the pod studio, set gearbox software with only speaker simulation, no amp simulation. So you can record your PF15R with your pedals, play with headphone with a good tone late at night, etc. PF acts as a good preamp for recording or jam on computer with headphone or monitoring speaker...

17. Sollophonic

I am so close to buying one of these as a workshop/rehearsal amp.

I have a Roland Cube, but it doesn't have a line out that I can run into a PA if I need it. The socket on my Cube is too low output to work DI'ed and I find that it is too bright anyway.

I have a small tube amp and its great for certain tones, but my SS amps seem to suit the music I play live. Clean. bright, loud, and tough.

Might take a chance on a PF15R.....

18. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

After reading countless threads over the past few years about the awesomeness of the Pathfinder, and considering its low price, I finally took the plunge and bought one yesterday. I agree, it's gotta be one of the best bang for the buck bargains out there.

19. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

I first posted when I got one back on page 4 or 5 of this thread. I am now thinking of getting a second one to run in stereo , as recommended by LG.

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

^^^ I like the concept to run a 2nd one too- not so much true stereo, as one PF clean, one PF dirty and then use A/B/Y box to toggle between either, or both...great amp!

* still may get the footswitch for Trem and Boost, and even though switching to the Boost is strong ( say if already using Gain on amp say past 10:00 clock, then turning Boost ON) even with Gain/volume jump, I could adjust from guitar...

Truth is, I love the super-portable idea (for small gigs) of just one amp and NO pedals, other than Vox F/S and headstock tuner!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.