1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mattyboy

mattyboy Tele-Meister

Yeah, this is spot on. I have the Pathfinder and also a Roland Micro Cube, which is a modeling amp. The MC is a nice little amp, but the PF gets played way more.
    I've owned a couple modeling amps, and they just aren't for me.
    Give me a nice clean little amp with the minimum amount of buttons and dials like the Pathfinder. :cool:

2. phillip lee

phillip lee TDPRI Member

Still not sure, the price is much lower and I tried several modeling amps before deciding on this one. Hard economic times make these a real nice alternative.
    Plus all the glowing reviews here and elsewhere, the word is getting out.

3. FMajor7add9

FMajor7add9 TDPRI Member

Got my first PF as a in-store swap for a Line6 spider 30 (3 years ago), played one sucky gig w the spider, none with the PF. Came back a few months later and bought a second PF.

There's a Cube 30 in our rehearsal space, tweed models and effects are kind of ok, but it has nothing of the PFs charm and 'playability' at all.

4. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

5. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

For some reason my Tweedfinder 15R rehouse links seem busted so I'm just reposting in case anyone wants to see. Rehoused into a chinese bass amp combo box with a 12", covered with uphostery fabric, varnished.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sounds great, I loves it.

6. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

one more - sprung for some tilt legs too!
    [​IMG]

7. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Looks great!

8. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

Totally awesome!

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I rocked Best Buy with it this weekend:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then a bar volume gig through my trusty 4x12. Got asked to turn down but sounded great!

10. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

+1 greytop for looking for the tubes. i've had two buds of mine plug into this thing and (no word from me) say "oooh! that's a tube vox, right?' the funny thing is they both said the same thing almost word for word, same tone of voice too! 2nd time was a grin for me sure enough!

11. cpokay

cpokay TDPRI Member

You can find a more modern 10" speaker that is highly efficient = will be "louder" -- Look in the specs of a given speaker for a sensitivity rating in the 100dB+ range (Eminence Ragin' Cajun 10" is 100dB Sensitivity). A more efficient speaker converts more of the electrical energy you feed into it into sound energy.

The output of your amp is what it is :^)

12. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

back in the day it was "stick a jbl in it."

13. Stratman71

Stratman71 TDPRI Member

Pathfinder Bass

Has anybody tried a Pathfinder Bass yet?

There's a few youtube vids of them being demo'd with a Bass, but i'd love to hear one with guitar, i'm thinkin' they could make a great low vol warm sounding bedroom rig?

14. norumba

norumba Tele-Meister

i need someone in the Albuqerque area whos a good electronics repairman... i did the LED mods on mine and now its not working :(

15. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

In the official Vox forum I posted a few times over a couple of years, asking Vox to develop a 50W or 100W Pathfinder, but got no response. If lots of people did that, maybe they would listen.

I would love to have that sound with more watts. It would also be great if the baffle was big enough to swap out a variety of 12 inch speakers.

I don't really need the emulations or effects, just that wonderful Vox sound with enough volume to play with the big boys. .

16. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

I absolutely love mine, but couldn't find any use for the gain channel. Until last night...

I plugged my Gretsch 5120 into the Pathfinder just to see if I could get any "Neil", and boy did I! (Gain almost all the way up, volume low. Bass, treble and reverb more or less at 3/4.)

I was shocked at how much I now like this gain channel, after dissing it for years... :eek:
    At least with the Gretsch, anyway, it sounded fantastic - way different, more grungy and dirty than any of my distortion pedals thru my tube amps..

I always loved the clean channel on the Pathfinder 15R, but as I said, never cared much for the gain channel - - until now..

So just go play with that gain channel!...

[​IMG]

17. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

It would be a nice option for sure.

However, I suspect Vox would not want to dilute their own market with alternative (and cheaper!) products that cover that kind of output and size etc.

But then - who knows - if they thought they would sell a bucket load ..

Well I have recently moved across to a VHT Special Six combo (one 12AX7 and one 6V6) Another amazing amp for the money (similar-ish price range to a 15R) though no Reverb or Trem, but a 10" speaker , or Head and 12" cab options.
    Hand wired on eyelet board. Crikey!

I have hugely enjoyed my 15R and will continue to defend the model to the hilt as one of the few truly tubey, characterful (and cool!) SS amps.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  18. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Heres mine.. well, 'our' 15R. Cracking little amp, to my ears, sounds better than my SCXD and various other amps I have owned. Uses as much power as a small lightbulb, sounds far bigger than it is. Would make an awesome amp for recording. Nice blank canvas for effects too. I'm thinking a Xotic RC or AC :)

19. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

I never really understood why the gain channel on this amp gets so maligned. It's not a Marshall gain channel, and won't sound as "earthy" as a TS into a Fender tube amp, but it's definitely not a bad sound. I'm pretty sure the "boost" button just multiplies the gain. In other words, gain on 3 plus boost equals gain on 7 with boost off (those are just made up figures).

20. lauke

lauke Tele-Meister

And I thougt I was a little mad for loving the little amp I started my guitar career on, indeed a Pathfinder 15 (no reverb). It's got some of the best cleans I've heard out of ANY amp actually, and I can dial it in without even listening, I know it that well.
    It doesn't get that much use anymore since I own an AC30CC1 though ;)

About the gain channel; I don't really like it. It sounds more like a fuzz pedal to me than amp distortion. I do find the boost changes the sound a bit as well; it becomes a bit more aggressive and it fills up the mids. I prefer the amp with the boost off at all times.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.