1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Since it is extremely unlikely that they will increase in value over time, no.

2. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

I see no reason to ever get rid of mine. I sold it once, and had it broken twice... Now that it's back to 100%, I'm keeping it... Not enough cash in the resale to sell such a great amp.

YMMV

3. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I picked up a used 1x12 closed cab off CL with an Eminence 1x12 "Red Ryder", (8ohm/120watt), installed and plugged it into the Vox 15R Pathfinder. Huge difference with increased headroom and lots more volume when I added the cab compared to the initial 8" stock bulldog speaker. This will now hold it's own with any drummer in a small venue. Just for giggles also picked up Tech-21 "Liverpool" character pedal to run in front of the amp and now have every Vox tone you can come up with chiming loud and clear!

4. medblues

medblues TDPRI Member

Thanks banjohabit, how are you splitting the signal ?

5. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't go back through the whole thread to see if this had been posted but I thought some of you may find this comparison as insightful as I did.

6. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

medblues: i run a deltalab dgfx1 muilti effect pedal which has very clean stereo out. some of the effects are actually pretty decent too but it is rare for me to use any of that stuff if i don't have to. i caught it on sale for not much more than a decent a/b box.

7. photoweborama

Grill Cloth....

When I got my pathfinder the speaker grill cloth was really loose.
    I've since tightened it up. Anyone else pathfinder the same way?

8. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

I've skimmed some of these posts looking for the answer to this question but couldn't find it
    I am looking into getting one for ONLY a clean tone (I will get my distortion from pedals). Is it possible to put a 10 inch speaker in place of the stock 8 incher? Also, would putting a louder 8 inch speaker in make the amp louder? I've never done any speaker swapping, nor do I have any knowledge in this area (or many others for that matter...). The samples Ive heard of this sound good, so I'd like to give it a whirl. I plan on using it for small gigs (mic'd)

9. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

For clean tones the stock 8" speaker sounds great.
    However is possible to put a 10" in the amp cutting the baffle. Someone here did that (mistermullens I think!).

10. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

I'll see if I can find him, thanks. Will a 10" make it louder (more giggable too) or is the capacity of the amp still going to be 15 watts?

11. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Nope, both of mine were fine.

12. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

It will still be a 15w amp, but it will be pushing more air, so it will likely *sound* louder, given that everything else remains the same.

13. phillip lee

phillip lee TDPRI Member

My Pathfinder arrived yesterday, I was ready for the black grillcloth and thought I got an old one since its brown, then read current Production is brown, Glad!
    I can't believe this type amp is still available at this price, frankly, the Champ Super xd didn't do it for me and this was exactly what I was looking for. Some quick thoughts after initial test runs:
    I will be surprised if Vox continues to manufacture this amp, it seriously competes with or exceeds their new line of modelers in sound and is affordable.
    The stock speaker is perfectly matched to the amp and appears to be great quality. I plugged in my new Jensen Falcon extension cabinet and actually prefer the stock sound.
    Small tweaks in the controls make a big difference in obtaining new sounds.
    Stock Tele(Fralin) pickups sound best with the boost, but my P-90 neck sounds heavenly through the clean channel.
    Can't wait to try a Reverb pedal through it ( I like Surf heavy at times), the reverb on it just makes you want more.
    I was expecting a Brian May-type amp to hit my door, another toy, but this is a real deal, a throwback without digital mess and the best 120 bucks I've spent in a long while!

14. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Yes it is. I just about went that route but instead went for a 1x12 cab. I had my eye on Warehouseguitarspeakers Veteran 10 for the price, size and wattage. You will need to take the amp apart and make a larger hole in the baffle for a 10" but it's apparently doable. I can also say that adding the 12 inch made a big difference in tone and volume with mine, and it sounded real good to begin with.

15. photoweborama

Brown grill cloth is awesome!!!
    I'm jealous!

16. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

I take it a 30 watt Celestion or something won't make the amp 30 watts then?

17. norumba

norumba Tele-Meister

FINALLY!!!!!

just picked one up today, older model without reverb, but i have a pedal for that. Still looking for another one to complete the stereo pair... wife had company so i couldnt fire it up, but i will tomorrow.

holy cow. definitely met all the expectations I've read about...Played it at the store by itself and through a cheap Marshall Haze 1x12 cab.

Also AB'd it against a British AC15 they had -- Pathfinder didnt have quite the harmonic complexity, but not by much, and it overall sounded less boxy with more even mids and better low end through the Marshall cab than the Brit one. Go figure! Interestingly enough, with the cab, volume output between the two was comparable.

Looking forward to a good day with it tomorrow!

18. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

I have a 'Vox extension cab' (was an old Vox lead 30 combo - which recently died) now with a 50w Eminence 12" 8ohm speaker in the closed back cab.
    Looks perfect! does the job real well.

Through the 12" cab the PF15r is certainly louder - for a 15w SS amp. Way way loud for turning up at home (sadly!)

It is not anywhere as loud as a typical 15w Tube amp would be into the same cab, but if it helps answer your question, it does now feel about - I dont know - 25% louder than it was?

It sounds 'bigger' , fuller and louder while still on clean - that is the option I wanted - and I got that.

I also have an EHX .44 Magnum "44 watt amp in a stomp box", which I have run into the same cab (cool gizmo!)

The .44 is louder for sure - and though it sounds really good for what it is, though of course, plugged in' straight' it is a very dry tone compared the the chimey Pathfinder.

But for fun, and at lower to moderate volumes, I still really like the sound of the PF15 just pushing its own little 8" Bulldog speaker.

Many of the greatest recordings of popular music were made on small speakered amps. Some Clapton - early Page - Cropper etc - a long list ;)

Nice to have the option of a 12" cab, and I have been lucky, but I could happily live with the PF as it is.

19. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I doubt the Pathfinder will have much impact on the market for those modelers as I think the people who would buy them and those who would buy Pathfinders are two completely different markets.

20. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

Without ever even playing one, I ordered a pathfinder utilizing my guitar center 20 off/no shipping coupon due to the overwhelming good reviews from this thread and others on TDPRI. It came in this morning (brown grillecloth yay), and I must say it is amazing!!

Great backup and practice amp, and lil brother to my AC15..I'm looking for the hidden tubes, can't find 'em

:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.