Vox Pathfinder Owners

towser

TDPRI Member
Could you tell how she was running the amps?
I couldn’t see how she had the amps set up, though there may have been an A/B box near the floor monitor in front of her. A stagehand came out a few times to mess with something there. Norah stopped using the Jazzmaster and went back to piano after the song was over. Never played it again that night. Great concert.

JDRNoPro

Friend of Leo's
Nora Jones is truly a wonderful and talented musician. So natural, organic, and real! Everything she sings and plays seems to come from deep within.

I think I remember seeing her play on a Late Nite show years ago through a pair of Pathfinder 15Rs.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I owned a Vox Pathfinder 15R for a little while and I thought it was mediocre at best. I paid $79.00 for it at a GC holiday sale and thought it was ok for practice or a bedroom amp, but nothing beyond that. I got bored with it and sold it for around what I paid for it and never looked back. I don't have anything against it really, but I don't like stupid hype.

If you are looking for a small Vox amp, buy the Vox AC-10. It puts the Pathfinder to shame, and it isn't even in the same league as the AC-10. It's probably ok for around 100 bucks or so, but nothing beyond that. If you are going to spend bigger money, get something that is worth it. Not this amp

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
I owned a Vox Pathfinder 15R for a little while and I thought it was mediocre at best. I paid $79.00 for it
For $79 one could get a lot worse than mediocrity.
It's probably ok for around 100 bucks or so, but nothing beyond that.
$100 is what I paid for mine, so I'm OK.
If you are going to spend bigger money, get something that is worth it.
Or even if you're spending less...

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
I owned a Vox Pathfinder 15R for a little while and I thought it was mediocre at best. I paid $79.00 for it at a GC holiday sale and thought it was ok for practice or a bedroom amp, but nothing beyond that. I got bored with it and sold it for around what I paid for it and never looked back. I don't have anything against it really, but I don't like stupid hype.

If you are looking for a small Vox amp, buy the Vox AC-10. It puts the Pathfinder to shame, and it isn't even in the same league as the AC-10. It's probably ok for around 100 bucks or so, but nothing beyond that. If you are going to spend bigger money, get something that is worth it. Not this amp

What strikes me most about the PF's hype is that much of it does seem to come from folks comparing it favourably with 'good' amps they've owned. Many others lament their own seller's regret.

I'm reminded of the much hyped Bad Monkey OD. It's a good pedal. It stands up well next to a TS9 and for its original price it was great value. But once second hand prices start exceeding those of the pedal it copies you have to ask where's the advantage?

Do you have a preference for higher gain settings? My understanding is that amp distortion is not the PF's forte. I could see this being where the AC10's shimmering tubes start to stride ahead. Me, I rarely take my Pathfinder into the realm of distortion much beyond edge of breakup and when I do I go the rest of the way on pedal power. For this reason, tubes don't much interest me; they'd be a wasted investment.

J-bass&Tele

Tele-Meister
...and why would I buy a AC10 for 600 when I can get a AC15c1 for 800?
Normal channel, real spring reverb, tremolo, better construction, better speaker, louder, sounds better. Cheaper to service (less cramped circuit boards)

The only thing the AC10 have going for it, is the weight and size.

JDRNoPro

Friend of Leo's
I've got an AC-10 and agree that it is very good.......although I don't think it "puts my Pathfinder 15R to shame" - at all. It took me a while to figure out how to get best sounds out of the 15R though. The AC10 is louder and easier to "dial in" initially.

While I like both Vox amps, my bigger SF/BF Fenders and a wonderful Tweed Champ are the ones I play the most.

I still regard the P15R as a special and unique amp tho!

Last edited:

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
@Sax-son
The AC10c1 retails for ~600€$£ in EU. I bought my Pathfinder 15r for 50, two years ago, my Cambridge 15 for 80. Apples to oranges.
...and why would I buy a AC10 for 600 when I can get a AC15c1 for 800?
Normal channel, real spring reverb, tremolo, better construction, better speaker, louder, sounds better. Cheaper to service (less cramped circuit boards)

The only thing the AC10 have going for it, is the weight and size.
That wasn't the point! These 15R Pathfinders were starting to head into expensive territory. I was suggesting that if you were to spend that much money, get a real amp. If you paid 50 euro for the Pathfinder, that is about what they are worth in my opinion.

I currently own an AC15 c1. Unlike the AC 10, I had to spend more money to tweak the AC 15 into the tonal territory I wanted to get it to. I was disappointed with it at first, but now that amp sings.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
I rarely take my Pathfinder into the realm of distortion much beyond edge of breakup and when I do I go the rest of the way on pedal power. For this reason, tubes don't much interest me; they'd be a wasted investment.
The edge is usually as far as I go with mine, and I optimized the diodes for that sound. I think it's a red LED paralleled with a silicon but it's been years so I don't remember. If there's room I'd like to put a rotary switch on the back panel with a buttload of different diodes in different combinations including NONE for maximum volume.

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
The edge is usually as far as I go with mine, and I optimized the diodes for that sound. I think it's a red LED paralleled with a silicon but it's been years so I don't remember. If there's room I'd like to put a rotary switch on the back panel with a buttload of different diodes in different combinations including NONE for maximum volume.

That's a great idea - Like a Varitone for vox amps: Voxitone!

nickd

Tele-Meister
Just a heads up. I’ve recently acquired a used Roland Blues Cube, and yes it’s louder and arguably more rich in available tone - however it lacks the character the little pathfinders have. In all honesty I was so disappointed!

Twang Deluxe

Tele-Afflicted
I really love my Pathfinder 15r because
- it sounds amazing
- it has Reverb and Tremolo (which many other amps like the AC 10 don't have)
- it has the classic vox look
- it's sounds great at bedroom levels but is big enough for small gigs

Leonardocoate

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I saw a 15R at GC the other day but it was pretty beat up and they wanted $250 so I passed. I have a PF10 that works fine for me. For under $100 it's a steal.....I love it

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
I really love my Pathfinder 15r because
- it sounds amazing
- it has Reverb and Tremolo (which many other amps like the AC 10 don't have)
- it has the classic vox look
- it's sounds great at bedroom levels but is big enough for small gigs
Exactly, exactly, exactly!

Been using mine on my smaller trio gigs for close to 8 years. ( I usually have an OD ON to break the amp up a bit+ there is a volume boost)
I feel like the Pathfinder ( with my bad back and small-ish gigs) was Custom-made for me.