1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. FMajor7add9

FMajor7add9 TDPRI Member

my mate's got 30 watt 16 ohm speakers for his AC15 stack, could be interesting to A/B against them also, the Fender speakers are really way too overpowered for most sensible dB levels

2. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

How do you mean "overpowered"?

3. FMajor7add9

FMajor7add9 TDPRI Member

The 210r 65W. Without a tapered (not default) input gain/volume you never dial beyond 3 at home.

Pathfinder is outputing what is it, 15-20-ish watt?

I reckon a lower wattage speaker and, in this particular situation, power amp as well, would be a better match. Better as in clean headroom and wider range of gain breakup.

But I really don't know, maybe I'm already hearing 2 high output speakers at a level that's comparable to lower output speakers.

4. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

Well, to me a 65w combo with 2x10" speakers is more of a rehearsal/gigging amp with a drummer than an amp for the livingroom. A different tool for a different job.
    I have done gigs with my Cambridge 15 but those were very low volume, almost livingroom levels.

Regarding speakers, it sounds to me that you think that the Watt rating of a speaker correlates to how loud/sensitive it is. There are plenty of low wattage speakers that are quite sensitive and vice versa.

As far as clean headroom, if the Pathfinder have more headroom than the 210r, something is odd with the Fender.

5. FMajor7add9

FMajor7add9 TDPRI Member

I was, perhaps faulty, considering the match between apm output and speaker wattage since a AC15 owner once explained that to me, eg. how he scaled his cab speakers down to 30W (IIRC). That may be totally irrelevant for SS amps, not sure about that! I've asked for a chance to try the 15R in his cabs once.

The clean headroom on both of these are as expected. A better tapered volume pot in the Fender could be interesting though I don't expect sudden new sweet spots to appear, just an easier dial.

With the fx loop in the Fender you can blend both preamps togethere. Using a Fender ABY pedal to sum Line Out from P15R and fx send from Fender gives some unexpected results but do work. Have to ask around in Fender owner thread about the wiring of its fx loop.

6. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

"Scaling down speakers to 30w" doesn't say much more than how much power the speaker is rated to handle. It says nothing regarding sensitivity (usually SPL at 1KHz) or frequency range. Some speakers seems loud because they have a peak somewhere in the frequency range that "pokes through". (For example Celestion Vintage 30)

If he meant going from 2 speakers to 1 speaker, then, yes, less wattage handling and probably less volume.
    If all else equal (and appropriate for the amp), double the speaker area equals roughly 3dB louder. Noticable but not much more.

Generally speaking, tube amps can handle a slight impedance mismatch but there are a recommended range of speaker impedance that the output transformer can handle. Read the manual.

Solid States amps can often handle a bigger range of speaker impedances but the power delivered to the cab depends on the impedance of the speaker(s). More speakers wired in paralell or a lower impedance speaker will result in more power.

7. FMajor7add9

FMajor7add9 TDPRI Member

thanks, it's all new to me as you can gather. I'll try to poke him further at next meet to understand it better. He's got 2 x 2 30W speakers afaik.

8. FMajor7add9

FMajor7add9 TDPRI Member

Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster

Even with noisy wiring and ungrounded mains it really floored me how much it opens up the signal before hitting the preamp. Hope the audio carries some of that along even though the on/off volume levels are a bit different.

Michael A. likes this.
  9. MyLittleEye

MyLittleEye TDPRI Member

I don't know how widely known it is but Norah Jones clearly considers the 15r worthy enough to perform with two miked up with both her guitar and wurlitzer 200
    She also put out a number of heartwarming mini sessions from home throughout lockdown.
    You don't see it in this video but it sounds unmistakable to me here, especially once she dials in the trem after 6:00 -

younkint, foundjoe, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  10. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

MyLittleEye, havlma1 and younkint like this.
  11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, Norah Jones has been mentioned in this very thread, often, and for a long time. Plenty of photographic and videographic evidence has been presented here that she has gigged with a Pathfinder.

younkint likes this.
  12. MyLittleEye

MyLittleEye TDPRI Member

Ah, thought as much :oops: well I'm a bit late to the pathfinder party; just qualified as an owner this weekend so still got a 160 or so pages to catch up on here! I enjoyed the video though for all the knob fiddling going on and perhaps interesting to hear it's still her amp of choice even after a decade or so.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.