1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

That sort of thing can be really vexing. Never dealt with it on this or any other amp, but I've wrestled with plenty of car trim that had similar issues.

I guarantee hitting it with a hammer will only make the problem worse. The trim still won't lie flat, and it will have a new dent, too.

My first step might be trying to glue it down with a low-adhesion glue like rubber cement. If that doesn't work, the glue can be cleaned off easily and you're only back to square one, not square negative one. But test it first on a portion of the grill cloth inside the amp to see whether it stains.

Ultimately, with car trim, the answer almost always winds up being near-complete disassembly and reassembly from scratch, paying absolute attention to getting everything just exactly so.

OTOH, as much as we love these little Pathfinders, they are just relatively inexpensive machinery. The simplest answer would be some heavy-duty glue, with full awareness that it might stain the cloth and it will complicate things if you ever need to take apart the baffle or replace the grill cloth in the future.

black_doug likes this.
  2. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I recall the gold strip has a T section to it. Check that the external part hasn't separated from the piece that pushes into the slot in the front of the baffle. I think you can get the trim from North Coast Music if it is broken.

3. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks. It's not separated, just warped.

4. Michael A.

It's only 6 machine screws and 4 wood screws to remove the chassis. Then disconnect the speaker, noting the polarity. The baffle is held to the internal cleats with another 6-10 wood screws. Pic 1 shows how the cleats are configured. Then you can adjust that gold strip by shortening it if needed. The white piping may prevent you from stretching out the gold strip so it seats flat. You'll have to pull some of the staples that hold the white piping around the perimeter of the baffle. Sorry, I have only this back side (pic 2) of the baffle to illustrate this. I did the work on mine years ago and saved a few pics. One thing to look for is the screws into the baffle are sometimes so close to the edge of the baffle (pic 3) that they break up the MDF and don't hold the baffle as tightly as it should, so I used the opportunity to move the cleat screws inward so they bit into solid MDF.

Bare PF cab.JPG Removing staples.JPG Baffle issues.JPG

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Question for PF15R owners. What settings do you use on the amp when you use a fuzz pedal?

I'm not much of a pedal guy. The overwhelming majority of the time I plug into one of my Pathfinders, I plug straight in. The reverb and tremolo on the amp are effects enough for most of what I do. But there are a few things that I want to do with fuzz. I will use less fuzz effect on some songs vs. others. On the heavy fuzz side of things, think "On the Road Again" by Canned Heat.

I've experimented with it, but I'm still chasing the perfect fuzz tone for the Pathfinder. I usually set the amp's Treble to 11 o'clock, and the Bass to about 1 o'clock. But that setting seems a bit too dark and muddy for my purposes. I'm tweaking those Treble and Bass knobs now in my tone chase, but what would y'all recommend? What amp settings do you use?

And what about the pedal? What Sustain, Tone and Level settings?

6. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

What sort of "fuzz pedal" are you using? My go-to pedal with the Pathfinder is a Joyo Vintage Overdrive, which is an inexpensive Tubescreamer clone. The Tubescreamer family tends to cut bass and boost midrange. I just tried it with the amp settings you mentioned and thought it sounded pretty good - not too bassy to my ears, probably because the Tubescreamer cuts bass.

LGOberean likes this.
  7. LGOberean

The only pedal I have is a BOSS ME-70 multi-effects pedal. And I bought this multi-fx as an open box deal in 2010, so I'm not sure which iteration of the BOSS fuzz pedal the fuzz effect in mine equates to.

The ME-70 has ten effect settings for overdrive/distortion, including the Fuzz effect. I use the OD-1 or Blues effects more, but the fuzz is something I'm playing around with.

[​IMG]

8. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I'm not familiar with that pedal at all, but it looks like it has enough tone shaping tools that you should be able correct whatever tone deficiency you're hearing when the pedal kicks in inside the pedal itself.

Again, not familiar with Boss fuzz pedals, so take this with a grain of salt. Fuzz pedals tend to add a ton of harmonics while emphasizing high frequencies and cutting midrange - which is another way of saying they reshape your tone significantly. It really isn't your tone at all anymore, it's the fuzz tone. With all the options on that pedal, I'd try using a different option from fuzz. Start on the left side of the dial and work your way clockwise. One of the settings on that dial alters your tone less than all the others, and I suspect you'll find it among the lower-intensity varieties of distortion.

9. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

IMG_20200917_162140027.jpg View attachment 765285
    I love my Pathy's and recently discovered even more Vox goodness by plugging into an extension cab, the bottom end is huge through the cab with more mids.
    View attachment 764888

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    LGOberean likes this.
  10. LGOberean

Oh, I've been experimenting with various OD/Distortion options for quite some time. On the OD side of things, I like the OD-1 and Blues options. As for the Distortion, the Classic setting is the only one that doesn't seem over the top to me (I'm not a hard rock/metal guy).

And then there's the Fuzz. So far, I have more or less dialed in a usable fuzz tone for my version of a 1970 song, "With My Face on the Floor" by Emitt Rhodes. I tried that song with the other settings I mentioned, but preferred the fuzz option.

Canned Heat's "On the Road Again" is definitely a fuzz tone. But it's a kind of bass-heavy song, and tends to sound muddy with the fuzz. Some I'm trying to dial it in. There are instrumental bits I play to approximate Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson's harmonica playing, and I notice the high frequencies are more distinct that the bass riff, which tracks with what you said.

Mark76 likes this.
  11. pannick

pannick TDPRI Member

I am not a Gibson guy but the Les Paul is beautiful. What year is it?

tce63 likes this.
  12. pannick

pannick TDPRI Member

WOW! I can't believe that this thread is over 10 years old and still going. That tells you something about these little amps. I have had the V9158 model for about 5 years now. Picked it up at local GC for about $80. I am looking for the correct foot pedal. I am guessing that it would be a 2 button to on over-drive & tremolo.

Oh yea, I love the little amp. My look and see if I can find one of the stack versions around.

Be well everyone.

Jazzerclean and tce63 like this.
  13. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

A seller out here is offering one of the 4x8 stacks on Craigslist. As much as I'd love to have it, right now I don't have the energy to tackle the job of haggling him down from the asking price of $500.

14. Falstaff1960

Falstaff1960 TDPRI Member

I have what you would call 1 and 1/4 Pathfinders. I have the 15R that is my daily driver.

My first Pathfinder was just the 15 with no reverb. But that was crushed in a move. I was able to salvage the pcb with the tranny and back jacks. The speaker and the cab were completely trashed. It currently sits on my bench awaiting the completion of a cab for it in order to turn it into a head.

15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I posted similar in another thread ( SS Amps) about having a buddy put in a 10" Celestion speaker into my old Cambridge 15 amp cab, same cabinet as that of a Pathfinder. He cut out the baffle to fit the 10"

I do not want to mess with my Pathfinder and its 8" speaker and portability, sounds fantastic.
    But thought having a 10" cab might be fun.

This Celestion speaker came out of a used Fender Frontman 25R I bought in March. ( I took it out as I thought that amp should have more of a Fender-toned Eminence)

So here is picture of the cab with new speaker- my friend sent me the pic, so I have not picked it up yet.

Can't wait to try it out.
    It may sound better or not ( the Vox/Celestion 8" Bulldog from my old Cambridge is actually in the Pathfinder and is amazing!) should find out in a few days.

20201024_181140.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    havlma1 and glenlivet like this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

A quick update from my above post,

I played first gig, just this morning ( fun outside trio gig) using my Pathfinder 15R amp with now a matching Pathfinder cab. with 10" Celestion

So in the photo, the amp is on top and cab is on its side- (and the only speaker actually used)
    I did not want to mess with the portability ( and great sound) of the 8" speaker in the amp, just wanted to run a 10" for kicks - all good
    * I used my new JOYO Sweet Baby OD, always ON- great natural fit for the SG and VOX
    ( photo is a TV shot as we did a Facebook Live show today)
    IMG_9792.jpg

17. Michael A.

So it sounds like you were happy with the Celestion Ten 30 cab as your external speaker. Did you go back and forth between it and the 8" Celestion in your PF? Did you notice a big difference? I've wondered if the Ten 30 would be the ideal inexpensive upgrade for the PF. I spent $80 for the Weber Silver Ten alnico that I put in my $40 PF!

2015-03-19 05.40.38.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Chiogtr4x likes this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

I'll be honest, but I need to tell a story to explain:

First, I only used the 10" Celestion/ Vox,: did not A/B with the 8", in the interest of not fooling around too much during a gig ( though this gig, since June had been a perfect, laid back gig, to try out gear stuff)

- I have played 6-7 years with just the 8" Celetion Bulldog that was originally I'm the Cambridge 15 cab that the Celestion 10" is now in..I always run a dynamic OD ON, with the Pathfinder- so that almost doubles the amp volume, and I just control clean to dirty with guitar Volume knob. Since we did not play too loud Sunday, the 10" was not really different in terms or tone or volume, from the 8"

OK:
    The whole reason I did all this really has to do with me buying a Fender Frontman 25R ( cheap ) in March, as I knew I might like this amp with 25 watts, better reverb, and a 10" speaker- and that Clean Fender tone I love

So not a replacement for the Pathfinder, so much as a cool amp to have ( for gigs).in between the PF15 and my Blues Jr. ( my 'big gigi' amp) I just pick 1 amp for my gigs....

Now this Frontman 25R happened to come ( not original speaker) with the Celestion 30-10" and when I started gigging with it I liked the sound, but thought it was kind of bright, lacking in mids ( it's the amp!), so I very son ordered a Jensen Mod 10-50W to replace- it was brighter!

Now, I'll be the first to say that maybe both of these speakers are fine, just needed to break in and get hit by some real volume and time.

But I'm impatient ( and curious) so I ordered an Eminence Legend 1058, 10" for the Frontman and it is a great fit for that amp- good midrange, strong ( 75 watt rating)

- so just wanting to do something with a good Celeston ( as they go with Voxes), my friend widened the baffle of the Cambridge to fit the 10"

But I will basically plan on using Pathfinder 15R alone as usual( but I do have this cab)., will use the Frontman as my 10" amp.

* I want to leave the 8" speaker alone in the Vox as it sounds great

Of course I could run both Fender and Vox amps together ( with A/B/Y box) for kicks someday

- and I have a backup 10" for the Frontman, with the Jensen

Just wanted to explain my thoughts here, thanks.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Michael A. and tce63 like this.
  19. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

The Frontman 25r definitely belongs in the class of underappreciated sleeper amps, much like the Peavey Trans-Tube amps were before prominent Youtubers started praising them. If you do that side-by-side comparison with the Pathfinder, be sure to let us know how it turns out.

tce63 likes this.
  20. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

My 15R finally died :( I have no idea what's wrong with it, one day it just wouldn't turn on - no sound of any kind. I had replaced two LEDs in a "headroom mod" a long time ago, so I took those out, and now it powers on, but just gives a loud, steady hum. The soldering job on the LEDs wasn't the greatest - it was the first thing I ever soldered, so maybe I fried something on the PCB - it looked a little burnt when I took off the diodes. I'm not sure if it's worth taking to an amp or electronics tech. I'm going to miss that little guy lol

Chiogtr4x likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.