Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Larry, I took the chassis out from one of my PF-15s and mounted it in my homemade
    1 X 15" spruce ply cabinet. The speaker is an Eminence 1518.

With this very efficient speaker, (~103 db), it is definitely louder, punchier, bigger, and sounds great! (and it's way heavier, lol)

DSC07298.JPG DSC07297.JPG

lareplus, emisilly, edchavez and 3 others like this.
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Five weeks ago I started a thread about the new modeling amp unveiled by VOX, the Cambridge50. Well, yesterday I ordered one. After all my years of consistently using/gigging with 15Rs, I felt like I need to come back to this thread and explain and/or defend myself. Or maybe, if after all explanations are given and they still fall short, this will take the form of a confession and apology. :oops:

I have a need for an amp that sufficient for larger rooms/outdoor venues that is lightweight and won't take up too much room in our SUV or travel trailer. So I really want an amp with 50 watts RMS output into a 12" efficient speaker. Of course, VOX doesn't make a Pathfinder 50R 1x12" combo, or I'd be all over that. But this Cambridge50 comes close to that, on paper, at least. I guess I'll know more how favorably it compares to the 15R after it arrives, should be Wednesday at the earliest, hopefully no later than Friday.

It's a 50 watt amp, with a Celestion 12" speaker. And yet it weighs a little under 20 lbs. Since I don't have mine yet, here is a stock photo showing its "grab-n-go" suitability.
    [​IMG]

It's a modeling amp with multiple amp voicings/models. I'll be glad to have the Fender, Dumble and Marshall models, but I absolutely have to have Vox tones, the chime and crunch. And of course being a VOX amp, it models its own characteristic tone, in two available voicings/models: the AC30 and AC30TB (Top Boost). It has eight effects available, and you can run two effects at a time (some might be bothered by that limitation, but I don't need more than that).

So yeah, after more than half a dozen years doing gigs with one (or more) of my Pathfinder 15Rs, I bought a new (VOX) amp for some gigs. But I don't look at this purchase as my leaving the flock; I prefer to think of it as adding to the fold. I'm not about to sell any one of my three Pathfinder 15Rs, which will still be the perfect amp to take for a lot of the gigs I do.

Rowdyman and younkint like this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Okay, update...

I picked up that Cambridge50 from GC a week ago yesterday, and I just got home from taking it back. A large part of the reason is financial. My vehicle needs more repairs than it's worth, so it's time for a new SUV. Which means it's a good time to get that $300 back.

But I probably would have returned it anyway. The Cambridge50 was a disappointment. I had hoped that the amp would sound as good in the room with me as it did in demo videos. Yeah, I know, take YouTube demo videos with a grain of salt. But in my defense, I wasn't just listening to the demos on the tiny speakers in my laptop. Every demo vid on YouTube that I watched was on my big screen TV, with a Sony soundbar and sub-woofer. I was prepared for the possibility of the amp sounding different in the room, but I wasn't prepared for how much disparity there was between the two, given the quality of sound system.

The amp models weren't bad, but they weren't impressive. There was quite a bit of volume difference between the clean and OD/higher gain models. Neither the Deluxe CL nor the Boutique CL models were that impressive, and honestly, I think they were somehow reversed. The Deluxe CL model didn't sound like a glassy Fender Deluxe, but more like I expected the Boutique CL model to sound. And the Boutique CL model sounded a little thin. The Cambridge50's AC30 and AC30TB models sounded the best, but even then, there was something about them that lacked warmth and fullness. For comparison, I did an A/B comparison of the Cambridge50's AC30 models against one of my Pathfinder 15Rs. The latter sounded warmer and fuller, and even louder than the former. The Line "model" was good for acoustic/electric, but I didn't need the amp for that. The Brit 1959 was okay, but I've never been a Marshall guy, so that was only of nominal interest to me. I didn't buy the amp looking to use the higher gain models, so they were useless to me.

Maybe the volume disparity issues and the voicing of the models could have been tweaked/sorted out by hooking the Cambridge50 up to my laptop, but again, an unexpected expense has brought my attempts to make it work for me to a halt.

I'm posting this review/critique here because I will continue to gig my Pathfinders, and happily so. I was never trying to replace them, anyway. The Cambridge was only supposed to cover certain types of gigs, where 15 watts wasn't enough. I have a powered speaker that I run my 15Rs into for such gigs, but I was hoping to find one lightweight amp to make load-ins more convenient, but the extra weight and set up is a small price to pay to continue to gig with my Pathfinders.

So, in my opinion, for my needs, for my money, YMMV and all that...the Vox Pathfinder 15R is still the best thing VOX/Korg has done in 20 years!

drmordo, acVox, lareplus and 4 others like this.
  4. younkint

younkint Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Been waiting to see what you thought. Thank-you for your honest review. Sorry the amp didn't meet your expectations, but it's good that you came to the conclusion fairly quickly and recouped your funds. Your faithful 15Rs can carry on until you find what works.

Thanks again for taking one for the team.

LGOberean likes this.
  5. KidAfterDark

KidAfterDark TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I’ve probably owned half a dozen Vox Pathfinder 15’s and 15R’s over the years. I always end up selling it, and then wanting to buy another! When I have them, I hate the weak reverb and the annoying noise floor. (60 cycle hum in my 100 year old non grounded house!) Yet here I am, wanting another Pathfinder! What gives?!

emisilly and lareplus like this.
  6. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

7. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I have much the same problem in my house. I get radio interference on certain amps through certain outlets. Solid state amps are affected more than tubes or digital, and it happens upstairs more than downstairs. It's aggravating, but I just have to keep some amps out of specific rooms.

KidAfterDark likes this.
  8. WTRT

WTRT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'm on my 3rd Pathfinder, sold the first 15R after I bought the head and 2x10 combo version, then swapped that for a tube amp, then picked another 15R before they stopped production. It's a great little amp and the one I usually grab if I'm going to jam with friends.

The only other combination that I might use instead is a Winfield Typhoon head into a 1x12 cabinet with a Red Fang. The nice thing is that I can also use the Pathfinder as a head into that cabinet and it sounds great too.

Someone told me that I should try out the hand wired AC-4, but that's a heck of a lot more money and I doubt it's much, if any, better than Winnie's amps...

I have an old Night Train (gen 1) as well that I purchased when they were being blown out and with a few tube changes it's a nice higher gain VOX sound if I need to move a lot of air.

zook and black_doug like this.
  9. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

Hi, I have a pathfinder 10 in the mail, I was reading on the web that some people say that they don't like the dirty channel and add a overdrive pedal.
    Just wondering people thoughts on this and if it is better with a OD pedal , do you crank the gain in the clean channel and add a OD ? Or add the OD pedal in the dirty channel and if so what gain setting on the amp?
    And what type of pedal eg tubes creamer.
    Thanks mark

10. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

First off, tone and gain levels are very subjective. If you know what kind of sound you're looking for, post a clip of something in the ballpark.
    Very different pedals is needed depending on if you're aiming for Mayer sounds or Meshuggah (swedish metal). :)

I'm not a fan of tubescreamers with a Vox though some like them. Something with less of a midhump is often good with Voxes.

My Cambridge 15 likes the same overdrive pedals as my AC15 and my favorites are Euphoria and Honey Bee. I built a DIY Timmy that was really good.
    I set both amps pretty similar. Normal (that would be "clean" on your amp) channel gain at 11 o'clock and master volume to taste.

11. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply, so to check using the clean channel with gain at 11 oclock is a good starting point and whack a no to low mid hump overdrive on this.
    Looking for something for the overdriven foo fighters tone (i have a proco rat for the heavier distortion).

Thanks Mark

12. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I have a VOX Pathfinder 15R I purchased new in 2012. Never been used and is mint, as new, unopened in it's original box.

Is it worth much these days ?

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  13. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

No, it's junk. Send it to me and I will dispose of it for you. :)
    Jokes aside, I don't know what they go for in Australia but the rare occasion of them popping up in northern Europe, they list for ~150€$£.

younkint and Martin R like this.
  14. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Thanks, I was curious more than anything. Cheers!

15. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

I had one a while back that I did the Led mod to as the od channel was too fizzy compared to the P15 I also owned. It really helped the little guy because along with better tone, the boost in volume on that channel is needed as I found the clean channel to be weak unless you are a quiet player. I was also able to swap out the little 6 inch speaker for an 8 by wedging it between the cab and chassis. I used a Jensen Mod for that. I never tried an OD pedal because I didn't have one at the time.

16. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

I'm with ya....I'm a bit of a reverb junkie and the PF25r's is pretty weak.... I *think* I remember seeing someone do a mod (snipping wires, and adding RCA male ends ) where they replaced the built in reverb tank with a more-better-more-gooder tank....anyone here done this ??

17. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

My Pathfinder 10 arrived, its great for a small amp, great clean channel.
    The overdrive channel sounds ok, but havn't cranked it yet as it arrived late in the day.
    I also have a joyo ac tone pedal in the mail and also my other pedals to try.
    If i found a sound i like i might put a external jack in it and get a 2x12" cab for it.
    I was thinking of getting a MV50 AC , but hey if the pathfinder thru a cab sounds good, happy days.
    Im also hoping to work out how to put a footswitch in it, i put a post up but havn't looked any further into it yet.

18. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

I replaced the stock reverb with a dedicated pan. It wasn’t really difficult and I could tell you that I thought it was great at the time. I don’t necessarily regret it, but seeing what collectibles these have become, I kinda wish I’d left it stock. Now that time has passed, I feel a little more objective about it. Essentially, the reverb on this amp will always be a little splash after the note, rather than a blanket around the note, if that makes sense. I even did the little jumper mod on the reverb and even though these two mods did boost the reverb level and complexity, they didn’t change the fundamental character of how it works in the circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glenlivet likes this.
  19. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

After many, many years of reading about how the PF15r is a great amp, I saw one on my local CL. It might just be the best $120 I'll ever spend.

Attached Files:

20. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

It is the best $120 you ever spent! Same here, love my two Pathy's.

tce63 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.