1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've had a few Pathfinder 15Rs now..sold off again. I picked up a Cambridge 15, hybrid preamp valve with a 8" Celestion blue--I have to say, it's better than a 15R, lots of low-end for a little amp...

amorica likes this.
  2. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

I have a Cambridge 15 and love it. I love that it has midrange boost. If you have access to the original speaker from a PF, try that in your Cambridge. That is the setup I like best. The PF's Bulldog speaker has a larger and thicker magnet and sounds smoother than the Cambridge's Celestion, IMO.

3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Well, let's say while I would not choose the PF over the AC10 for a gig, I use 'em both!! The AC10 is so warm and creamy (also all Vox sparkles and chime)! The pathfinder has bailed me out of many a situation. Would never get rid of the PF. It's like a Swiss Army Knife of the amp world. The line out will sound good though the PA. You can play a bigger cab. You can grab and go for a small bar gig. Mix it. Whatever you put in , you get out. Sounds fantastic split with a stereo delay or chorus with the '10. Best $110 I ever spent on gear. Just don't crank the gain past noon [emoji41] and you will be fine. Use a decent OD pedal for dirt...

Unadan and Maradona86 like this.
  4. Michael A.

My PF family in one place.
    IMG_20161209_122746361.jpg

5. amorica

amorica TDPRI Member

Awesome Pic! Ill be posting mine hopefully this weekend. I thought about getting a Quilter 101 and use it like a power amp for my PF's

6. Michael A.

Thanks! I bought one of the PFs new as soon as they came out in 1998, it is in the first 500 made, and I have left it stock. The other one now has a Weber Silver Ten alnico. The amp on the top in the photo is actually a Cambridge 15, which has been modded only by replacing the original Celestion copy with a Vox Bulldog 8" from the PF that now has the 10. The cabinet it is sitting on is a $10 PF off CL that was missing the grille cloth and had jack issues. I scored the vintage brown cloth off the Beat Cavern board and also installed a WGS Veteran 10 in that cab. So I have a nice variety of good sounds from these amps.

Looking forward to how the Quilter sounds with your PFs!

41144 and amorica like this.
  7. amorica

amorica TDPRI Member

Awesome.. How does the Web Silver and the WGS Veteran sound? Great combinations you've got going .

41144 likes this.
  8. amorica

amorica TDPRI Member

Bad News !!!! Good old UPS does it again . My PF15r rehoused in the Oak cab with 2x10s I just bought off Reverb didnt make it. The input and push button were pushed in below the faceplate with the the nut and washers were just laying in the cab. Already took it to my amazing tech Bird Dog here in Orlando . . Its more then the input .. He looked at it on the spot for me. It powers up but zero sound. Tried speaker wiring etc.. No dice ..
    This has happened to me 3 times over the last 15 years and EVERY TIME ITS UPS !!!! So pissed

THIS IS WHY I USE FEDEX!!!!

Attached Files:

9. 4telecaster4

4telecaster4 Tele-Meister

Sounds like a poor packing job

10. amorica

amorica TDPRI Member

The box seemed in good shape, no crushes or tears. It wasn't double boxed but was mummy wrapped in bubble surrounded with brown packing paper.. So I guess there was room for give.
    Personally, If I dont double box I surround the amp in sheets of cardboard and just pack tape them then filler then box. Never had a problem with my packs.
    Was hoping to post some good PF pics for you guys.

bparnell57 likes this.
  11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

This thread is nuts. I saw how many folks posted in this exact thread a few years back and grabbed a 15R, has gold HD speaker.

First: Agree SCs over HBs, and agree 8" orig speaker is confusing how it can sound so good. Only other 8" in my amp life that sounded as good was a 1961 C8R in a Valco I should have never traded off. [nutha story]

I won't repeat my 15R jibber-jabber of yesteryear, but I still have the 15R, and it is a little head plugged into ext cabs. Until recently a dedicated Tweed Deluxe Pine cab [w/RedFang] that had not grown into a full Tweed Deluxe amp for the years that I have had it. Well it grew with a 5E3 Chassis I had made two weeks ago.

So what new 15R path will follow?

So now that the 5E3 is on Tweed duty, with a 1959 Oxford Alnico. What is to become of my beloved 15R? Traded some pedals for an Orange PPC112 cab and stuck a 1980 G12-80 w/1770 cone and put it into Brit gain duty. But the class A EL84 5 watter does this all out better so short lived jaunt for the 15R.

I am missing the 15R in barky less gainy mode with the Red Fang, pine wood embelished. I may have to make a 112 open back cab with the Red Fang, it really sounds so good in this CFG. Or do I just stick it back in the orig cab. The Orig 8" sounds better than any other 8" or 10" I have tried it with FWIW.

I also popped a ?60s 15" Jenson Vibranto in a lightweight Marrs Pedal Steel cab to try with the Tweed Deluxe thinking that vintage 15" would be the cats meow. NOT! So I plugged the 15R head into it, Gold! Glad I bothered to try that...

I would buy as many of these I can find if 'steal' prices. Paid 80.00 for my first....

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve long been curious about the extension speaker out on the PF15R. As big a fan as I am of these amps, that’s one feature I’ve never explored. I’ve never owned a head/cab rig, always owned combo amps, so I’ve never had a cab to run it into. If the opportunity ever presents itself, I’ll try it. But that surprising stock 8" speaker sounds great to me, and running a couple of them in stereo can be sufficient output and spread of sound to reach a surprisingly large audience. And the Line Out into a PA to my ear gives me in the mains what I hear through the amp.

Another feature I’ve never tried on my Pathfinder 15Rs is the headphone out. I don’t use headphones, I haven’t even owned a set in decades. The reason for this is tinnitus. I’ve had constant ringing in my ears since 1987 due to peripheral nerve damage, the result of high dosages of quinine to treat malaria. It’s so constant that I can basically ignore it, but certain things make it more noticeable. Just talking about it makes more conscious of it, like now. And putting a phone up to my ear, and…yes, headphones. So, I haven’t tried the headphone out on my PF15Rs. But the amp at low volumes at home works for me.

13. younkint

younkint Tele-Afflicted

I use the headphone out feature quite often. Half of my practice time is at work, and I have to keep it quiet. No way I can even use an acoustic! For a long time, I used various tiny practice amps with headphone out, but very few sounded decent to me through headphones. I finally dragged my 15R to work and use it there with headphones. Very satisfying! It's not the same as using the 15R's speaker, but better than anything else I've ever tried. I do have to be watchful and not fall for the temptation to crank it, lest I end up with a similar ringing that you experience.

14. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for speaking to that. I've suspected all along that the Headphone out was quality, like everything else about this amp. I might break down someday and get some headphones just to experience it for myself, but for now it's good to know.

15. younkint

younkint Tele-Afflicted

By the way, when I decided to take the 15R to work I also thought I should buy a dedicated set of headphones to keep with it. It made sense to me to not get some super-duper, high quality set, but rather something on the low end of the scale - price wise, at least. A couple of years ago, Eastwood (of the Airline guitars fame) sent me an email offering some pretty decent headphones for less than two sawbucks for a pair. I haven't regretted that purchase. I don't know that one would want something with response far different than what an average combo amp speaker has, and I'm guessing these are not that far off. Sure sounds good!

Unadan likes this.
  16. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

i see what the fuss is about... got a 100 buck 15r recently.... wow... this little thing is roudy for an 8 inch speaker... sure it ain t my ac15 into 212 blue and g12h30 but she sure sounds better than i expected.. love it...

really surpassed my expectations... great when i don t wanna get tubed...

Unadan and younkint like this.
  17. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Run her into your 2 x12 and tell us what you think

robt57 likes this.
  18. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

So after countless searching I have finally found, bought and played the elusive Parhfinder EXR.
    This amp for recording and jamming is just amazing. The response is so tight and twitchy like a high powered valve amp you'd never know its transistorised

The chap I bought it off says the previous owner had modded it, and as far as I can tell someone has added a pot that controls how much the LEDs are in the circuit, so halfway this amp actually has crunch and not flat out fizz.

I'd buy this amp anyday over an AC4tv

I will upload some sound files eventually but the 10" blue celestion speaker really does push some air!

For the price I paid, this amp is a 15R on steroids!

Unadan likes this.
  19. Michael A.

Lucky man! The EXR was a European model only and not found in N. America. I need to find one of those 10" Celestions to try. They may be voiced specifically for that amp. I think the 10" speaker found in the Cambridge 30s in US are Vox Bulldog and not Celestion labeled, so may be different.

Unadan likes this.
  20. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

From what I've heard, the difference between the Bulldogs and celestions are minimal. The blue speaker on this doesn't look anything special as the magnet compared to the chassis is quite small but it sounds perfect. It's like that vox sound in your head. With my les Paul I was quickly able to get some 'Mick Ronson' tones and then with a strat I was able to get some smooth fendery cleans. Sorry I don't have any pics.
    To avoid any confusion it's exactly the same size as a pathfinder, just a full front baffle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.