1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. robwid91

robwid91 TDPRI Member

Hi richey88, how do you like the ac10 compared to the pathfinder?

2. drob

drob Tele-Holic

I'll chime in. The 10 is a great little amp. My first Vox tube amp. What struck me when I got it was the similarity in sound of the Pathfinder.

3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I love it. Run both in stereo (faux) out of my delay, covers bar gigs and miked for larger shows. Really surprised and the low end it puts out!

4. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I have the Pathfinder without reverb and there is no reason to miss it. Mine has the blue 8 inch. It sounds fantastic. All the Vox chime i want.

5. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I have both also. I guess I haven't thought much about whether they sound similar to each other - there's a pretty big difference in both volume and depth with the AC10C1 being a 10" tube combo that's really kinda punching above its weight class in term of the low end it puts out.

Even though I use both exclusively at home, the Pathfinder isn't an amp I grab if I just want to be loud. Depending on the guitar used, I probably have the volume set between 11:00 and 12:00, and I have the gain set between 9:00 to 10:00. Yes, both the Pathfinder 15 and AC10C1 do an admirable job projecting that Vox "chime" I love so much, so in that way they are similar.

But another way they are different is that I consider the Pathfinder 15 to be pretty good as a neutral "pedal platform", whereas the AC10C1 really isn't. The AC10C1 sounds terrific, but it's a top boost circuit, so it's pretty much just varying degrees of "dirty" all over the dial. Some forms of gain will take well to that sound, but others will not (particularly hard clipping).

That's probably one area where the Pathfinder benefits from being solid state amp - if you just a want a nice clean "reference" tone to layer a pedal on top of, the Pathfinder can do that pretty well. And it can also simulate the sound of a breaking up tube amp, even though it's doing it with transistors and other solid state components.

havlma1, amorica and BIGD5 like this.
  6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

^^^definately

7. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

The line out sounds pretty good straight into the PA too, did that at "keep your volume down" gig. We were all very pleased.

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

^^^
    I haven't done that in a while, but when I needed to play to a larger room than my Pathfinders alone can handle, I'd line out to the PA, and point my PF15R towards me. This configuration worked like a charm. If the need arises, I'll do that again in a heartbeat.

richey88 likes this.
  9. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

I recently found a $10 Pathfinder (pre-15R) on CL, the cheap price due to the input jack being loose on the circuit board and the grille cloth was gonzo. So I pulled out the chassis and made it into an extension cab. I had a WGS Veteran 10 that I was not using, so that went in. I made a new baffle from plywood and added a jack. The most expensive part of the job was buying more cloth, but was able to get enough for $27 shipped to cover the full face of the new cab and have enough left to recover the face of my Cambridge 15, which is my driver amp. I have not had time to do that project yet. I prefer the brown replacement cloth, it is more vintage looking. I think it came out pretty well.

IMG_20160812_122605227_HDR.jpg IMG_20160828_184420297.jpg IMG_20160902_104253460.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  10. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

I have a PF15 that stopped working on me. Can't figure out what's wrong with it. And I don't really have the time or expertise to fix it. How much would it be worth if I decided to sell it as is? $40?

11. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

I figure, you can't even find an open back extension cab for less than $75-$100 so for $40 it would be a steal. But am I dreaming?

12. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Tough to say, but there's enough of a demand for them and a bunch of modding projects, so maybe $40 would be worth a try so long as you made very clear that it stopped working and is being sold "as is".

13. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

I wish Vox would re-issue the 15R as a 50W or 75W amp with a 10" or 12" speaker. I bet they would sell well. Peavey sells plenty of Bandits. Vox could do that. It would be great as a clean jazz amp. .

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I wish Vox would revive the 15SMR. I saw a used one up here in PHX for waaayy too much, still wish I nabbed it.

Vox15SMR.jpg

Honest Charley and robb3566 like this.
  15. robb3566

robb3566 Tele-Afflicted

I wish they still made the T-60 bass amp. I feel like 60 watts is maybe too big for an apartment amp and way too small to play out, so maybe they didn't sell, but they were just so good looking!

[​IMG]

16. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

I just picked up a second 15R. This one is made in Korea. My other 15R is made in Vietnam. The only difference between the two (other than the color of the grill cloth) is that the Korea model is quieter on lower settings and has a more pronounced volume sweep that the Viet version. Both get identically loud - the Vietnam version just gets louder faster - maybe a slight difference in speaker construction?

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Maybe wide variation in taper specs--or even a swap for log vs linear...

Unadan likes this.
  18. amorica

amorica TDPRI Member

Hey guys, Im a huge Pathfinder fan! Just sold the rest of my Fenders Deluxe , Princeton , etc.. Tired of the weight and honestly PF's are my absolute go too. They just fit tone, volume, reverb, trem physicality all of it. Especially being a songwriter. I've never had an amp be so inspiring while singing and playing.
    I have a chance to grab a Cambridge 30 reverb for a $175 ...
    Will it give me Pathfinder tones but with more volume? Thats really all I want. Could really care less about the tube channel. The Cambridge has already been thru and repaired from Cambridgitis . Btw, I already have a stereo 4x10 cab with Eminence Legends 1058 I can use for the my Stereo PFs... Also just snagged this PF off of Reverb in a Oak 2x10 cab... Tried doing a search but not really a direct question comparing the 2 amps. and geez 147 pages

Attached Files:

19. 4telecaster4

4telecaster4 Tele-Meister

So how does it sound? I've been wanting to do something like that . There is someone on YouTube who made a 1-12 cab for his.. a traditional vox style with red tolex. I have 11 amps 3 tweed and 5 blackface plus two oddball amps and a15r.....it's one of my favorites!! I've used these out with a 12 inch cab....to have a all in one....just one thing to carry would be perfect. So how does this sound?

20. amorica

amorica TDPRI Member

Actually haven't got it yet. Seller just shipped it out today . Real nice guy. Pathfinder fan as well. I'll definitely post a review .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.