1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. here4thefall

here4thefall Tele-Meister

Has anyone tried both the Celestion Eight 15 AND the Jensen C8R in their Pathfinder? What was the tone diffrerence? I have a Celestion Eight 15 in one of mine but was considering the Jensen C8R to try.

2. here4thefall

I got a used Jensen C8R to try.
    Setting the PF15r's for loud, clean tone and using my Digitech rp500 multifx for overdrive (ts808 model, and eq)
    and using single coil and humbucking guitars

The Celestion is the loudest by about 50% to my ears. The Vox and Jensen are the same in volume
    The low end is about the same on all 3.

The Vox speaker has the flatest and widest eq response kinda PA speaker like with a little scoop in the mids
    I believe this is an oem speaker used also by Marshall, Blackstar star, Line 6, ect...

Celestion Eight 15, less high highs than the others but a bigger overall sound. Adding a wide 3db eq boost around 3775hz added clarity. With that boost I'd say this speaker sounded kinda like a G12H30 anniversary. Adding this speaker makes this little SS wonder sound closer to my "sold it but now I miss it" Vox ac15c1.

The Jensen C8R added more clarity/chime, fuzzy when overdriven but also brought a hollow sound. Sounds like my other Jensen speakers do with that big cut in the lower mids. Possibly this is the American sound? Maybe sending the Pathfinder into Champ sounding territory? It's not bad at all, no additional eqing necessary but with a little eqing I was able to make the Eight15 sound like a louder version of this speaker.

I'm going to keep it in the amp to make sure it's broke in for while.

I've play these amps in a band setting (led mode) using the Vox speaker and Celestion eight 15 (both with 3775hz, 3dB eq boost) and both were able to keep up and cut through the mix but the Eight 15 had more headroom and volume on tap. Mic'ed and eq'ed no problem at all and sounds as big as any of my 12" combo amps I have.
    I suspect the Jensen will be as loud as the original Vox speaker in a live band setting only offering a different tonal perspective.

Attached Files:

3. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

4. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

Those are purty awesome !!!! Sorry about your house fire !!!!

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I came back to this thread for another reason, and saw this last post. Thanks, mwaym, and sorry, didn't mean to let a month go by without responding. :oops: Good came out of the fire. Most importantly, my wife and I survived it, as did our pets, and most of my gear at the time. (Lost one amp and a banjo that was my Dad's. :() Also, as I said before, out of the salvaged and re-purposed lumber from the fire came a custom made tele, my "Firecaster". ;)

mwaym likes this.
  6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

I'm already a member with a 15R and one of the original Pathfinder15s that's still basically new in the box, but I found what I felt was a very good price on one of the 15R mini stacks with the 2x10 cabinet and that's on its way as I type this.

Probably have to let at least one of the combos go due to space problems, but I always used them at church when I first hurt my back. I always grabbed the 15R or my Princeton non-verb and either one sounded great.

I'm really looking forward to how the 15R head sounds with a 2x10. If they chose the speakers as well as they did in the combo it should sound fantastic for what it is.

7. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

I've been playing mine through 10" legend that sounds pretty good even though it's not broken in yet. I'll bet that 2x10 sounds huge.

8. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

Good deal, LGO..... Glad everything is okay !!!

LGOberean likes this.
  9. drob

drob Tele-Holic

I'm shocked at asking prices here in Toronto for a used one. Higher than new. I saw one for $250! At one point I had three of them and the Cambridge 15. Now down to one that I have to my son so he can play at friends. Good little amps. Recently picked up an AC10, and realized the pathfinder really hits that vox tone.

10. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

[emoji1]

BIGD5 likes this.
  11. Sharkfin

Sharkfin TDPRI Member

Here's one of my Pathfinders with my three main guitars. I'm still on the fence about doing the diode mod or not, it sounds great as is.

voxxx.JPG

12. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

The fact you've got three expensive guitars proudly displayed with your PF speaks volumes for the amp. It inspires that kind of dedication.

I bought mine already modded, and later bought a regular one to compare them. It may have been familiarity but I kept the modded one. I'm sure you know how the two compare, so I won't go into that in any detail, but I liked the extra oomph and headroom. It's like the original is a humbucker pickup, harder to keep clean, and the modded is a single coil, brighter with more scope, but not quite as warm.

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know how many Vox Pathfinder owners/enthusiasts are also fathers, but I suspect at least a few, so...Happy Father's Day! :)

14. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I still have my Pathfinder. Great little rockabilly amp too.

15. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Great in 'stereo' with my AC10. Killer little gig rig!
    [​IMG]

16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Delay has 2 outs, lots of tuners do as well...

17. extinguisher

extinguisher TDPRI Member

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I am having difficulty removing the stock speaker. It is held by bolts and nuts instead of screws and I cannot find a way to remove the front panel to access the bolt. Can't find any instruction videos on youtube either. Will appreciate if someone can provide some detailed instructions, thanks.

18. here4thefall

Hi,
    Unplug the amp and lay it facing down.
    Unscrew the lower back panel, take off.
    If you can reach the speaker wires, pull those off the speaker carefully.
    Unscrew the amp chassis. 2 black screw on top and the 4 outer black screws
    On the back, leave the 4 innew screws on the back of the chassis.
    Now lift up the amp the chassis making sure the speaker wires are loose and not
    Caught on anything.
    Now all you have to do is unscrew the speaker nut using a socket. I use a 9/32
    Socket but I'm not sure what the metric equivalent would be.
    The first time will be a little hard because Vox has a lock tight/glue on the nut
    But after you break through the glue it will be easier and you don't have to re-apply
    That glue again.

Put your new speaker in and do the steps I noted in reverse.
    The whole process takes me 10 minutes to do.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  19. extinguisher

extinguisher TDPRI Member

Thanks for the detailed instruction. I actually arrived at the step of removing the nut on the speaker but it still seems stuck on the baffle despite pulling it with my bare hands with some strength. Wasn't too sure and afraid to use too much strength or a screwdriver to pry it up. Now you mention the glue on the nut, i will try to pry it up. Thanks!

20. here4thefall

Still lovin my Pathfinder's :) This one has a rare Celestion G8 Vintage 8 speaker in it.
    20160725_163328.jpg y 20160725_162946.jpg

Unadan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.