1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. macser

macser TDPRI Member

Do all Pathfinder 15 R amps have an Octocoupler?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Pathfinder 10: Low cost amp, nice clean sounds and takes pedals fine too; nice for low volume late night playing and the headphone options.

It gets really loud and sounds fine on the OD channel too.

3. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I got a Pathfinder 15R last week (used, eBay) and I really like it. I wanted an all-analog, solid-state practice amp with a headphone jack for traveling and practicing and keeping hours off the tubes on my Vibro Champ and Bassman.

This amp is really nice. The reverb and tremolo are weak, but good enough for what I'm using the amp for.

4. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Very cool!

Shame we never had those in N. America!

Couldn't buy one here, so I built the closest thing. Here's the Weber Silver Ten alnico in my 1999 PF15.

Attached Files:

5. Kimbarafuzz

Kimbarafuzz TDPRI Member

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1456314715.856203.jpg

I have the pathfinder 15EXR with the 10 Celestion and the regular 15R.
    To be honest i prefer the 10 for the look but the 8 speaker for the sound ...
    The pathfinder 10 w is great too, for bedroom level , for recording , for jazz. .. and so cute ..
    Great pleasure with these amps ..

6. Morph

Morph NEW MEMBER!

I have read this looong thread and joined in just to be part of the Vox Pathfinder gang. :D

Last year I went looking for a 15R but it's next to impossible to find in Portugal. Everytime one shows up, it's bought in minutes. I eventually bought a brand new Pathfinder 10 and it took me ten minutes of playing to make up my mind and do the LED mod.

Not satisfied with it, I upgraded this little bugger with a more sensitive 6.5 speaker, a more musical and powerful power amp chip and a bigger power supply. While I was at it, I installed a speaker output that disconnects the internal speaker. Now I can crank this baby and plug it to a 1x12 with an Eminence GB128. Sweet sound from both a strat and a Les Paul. :)

Cheers!

amorica, BIGD5 and lareplus like this.
  7. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to the Club! These are great amps, aren't they? Cool that you are working it with an external speaker, that makes for more variety of sounds. I sure wish they would re-issue this amp, but they have moved on, now with the new AV series just announced earlier this year.

8. So1om

So1om TDPRI Member

I picked up one of these back before they became the hidden gem. I think I paid $60 gently “used” with everything still in the box. I've posted here a few times, maybe 100 pages back.

I love the styling, and I love that it has the basic necessities, reverb and tremolo, in a single small amp. Great features with the line out, the headphones, external speaker jacks. I like it so much, I spent nearly half the cost of the amp for the official Vox switch for the boost and the tremolo.

Yet what I have found is that it is too brittle. There seems to be no body to the tone, regardless of pickup/guitar.

The “top boost”. There is TOO much of a jump in volume and gain. It reminds me of all the hair metal amps of the 80s. Then again, I have always had a problem with ANY amp with a separate Gain and Volume controls. Not a problem with them, but *I* can NEVER get a clean sound ever. There is ALWAYS some distortion. If I turn the gain down, no volume, turn that up, then I start to have distortion. Which.. unlike my Fender Vibro-Champ –a nice full tone, clean sound (but that’s not apples to apples).

I did try the mod where you remove the 2 clipping diodes. There is so much work involved in doing that, an A-B comparison is impossible. I didn’t notice any difference anyway so I returned it to stock.

The is another mod, but I have not tried, where you add a pot to the circuit that feeds the gain. This attenuates the gain a bit and maybe that will move me closer to the goal. I don’t like drilling and tearing up any gear, but I think I can splice this into the circuit and then mount the pot, or maybe a small trim pot, in a discreet area in back of the amp on a small bracket.

With all that said, I think it’ll still be too brittle and ice picky. I was trying to use the amp with headphones the other night and I could hear that initial spikey contact of the pick to the strings (regardless of guitar). I know that’s hard to describe and guitar in headphones never sounds spectacular in the first place…

Maybe the amp is just designed with that God-awful midrange “scoop”.

And really.. now that I have the BOS/Fender FRV-1, the old Vibro Champ is all I've been using.

9. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Try a Vox Cambridge 15, which came out in about 2000. A Pathfinder with a single tube in the pre-amp circuitry and a mid-range boost switch. It might give you what you are missing. I took the Celestion-branded 8" stock speaker out of mine and replaced it with a blue frame Vox "Bulldog" from a PF15 and I think it sounds less harsh and fuller than the original speaker.

10. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

That's unusual. I would never describe any of the three 15Rs I have owned as ice picky.

11. manic mailman

manic mailman TDPRI Member

Just got one today. It's brown cloth, w\ reverb and only for 55€ second handed!! Can't wait to put it through its paces tomorrow when stay home alone :rolleyes: It's barely used so i was kinda suspicious at first. It seem to work properly though. I really couldn't resist to buy one after all of that words of praise in here.. so i got my "leaving the nest" amp

12. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

MM.......You are gonna LOVE it !!!!

13. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

12993530_1144352988917452_7906515272942683446_n.jpg

14. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

SWEEEEEEET!!! :D Great pic! Ya gotta tell me about those teles. I can't tell from the pic, but I'm not seeing a Fender logo on those headstocks.

Here's my own teles/pathfinders family foto. Not meant to compete with yours, more of a hopeful inducement to get you to share, as in "I'll tell you about mine if you tell me about yours." ;)

[​IMG]

amorica, BIGD5, jmwreck and 1 other person like this.
  15. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

The grey one is a swamp ash partscaster, with all Fender parts...... The other 2 are Fenders..... Left to right..... swamp ash, mahogany and basswood...... Texas Specials, P-90's and Tex-Mex..... And of course... My Pathfinder 15R !!! :)

amorica likes this.
  16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

That's a lovely family you got there!

17. LGOberean

Cool! I saw no logo on the partscaster headstock, but on second look I can see the logo on the strat, and I guess the glare in the photo obscured the logo on the thinline with P-90s. Nice pic, and a cool collection.

18. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

Thanks for the kind words......

19. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

Great family pic, LGO...... What is the logo on yours ??

20. LGOberean

Thanks! The logo on the headstocks of my T-styles says “Logan Custom.” They were custom built for me by Bob Logan of Logan Custom Guitars in Delafield, Wisconsin. Bodies made by Bob with features spec’d according to personal tastes. Love ‘em. From left to right in the order of their acquisition...

2008 - My first Logan, mahogany solidbody, Birdseye maple neck, P-90 neck pup, gold appointments...

2009 – “Logo” thinline (Bob’s prototype of the series), alder top & back veneers on a pine core, Honey Blonde...

2011 - BSB blackguard, Birdseye maple neck, DiMarzio Twang King pickups, Logan stainless steel bridge with straight alignment bridge pup, 4-way switch...

2012 - Logan “Firecaster” (made from salvaged lumber from our house fire), Keystone pickups, 5-way switch.

My backline of three Vox Pathfinder 15R amps: the older Korean version with the black grill cloth is in the middle; the 2 Vietnamese versions with the brown grill cloth are on either side of that.

amorica and mwaym like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.