1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Tele-Meister

Can't see them bringing the 15r back. I think it hurt sales of the ac4 etc. and now that the ac10 is out they will be hard pressed to bring out a Pathy in a 10" config.

The problem with the Pathfinder is that Vox made too good of an amp to be selling at the price point it was offered at. You can't make money selling good amps for cheap.

Just an opinion of course...

2. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Now with a 5W 10" tube amp available for about $100 delivered (when you wait for their 20% off sale), I don't see any way for Vox to re-enter the market with a PF15 and compete against a tube amp. The Monoprice is a Laney underneath.
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611705

Plus the price-adjusted cost of the Monoprice 15W with spring reverb and 12" speaker, is about the same as what we paid for PF15s back when they were new. This can be bought for $182 delivered, with their 20% coupon. Most people would consider a tube amp better value for the money, so again, probably a hard price-segment to enter.
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815

Time and technology moves on. If you still want a PF sized killer amp, keep an eye out for a used 2000-ish Vox Cambridge 15. To me, it is a Pathfinder Plus, after installing a PF speaker instead of the stock "Celestion" clone one.

I also have 2 PFs, still love them too.

3. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

The Monoprice tube amps (5W and 15W) look cool, and people are taking notice, but I don't consider that a "Pathfinder killer". The preference for modeling amps by newer players is certainly a much bigger factor. The funny thing is that you could argue that a move from transistor-based solid state amps to tube amps is actually a move backwards in technology - guitar players just happen to prefer the response of the archaic tube setup over (many) solid state amps.

But even if the Monoprice amps are killer and you could buy a variety of awesome tube combos for $125, I'm not sure that necessarily ends the value of the Pathfinder. It's pretty cool that I can fire up my Pathfinder 15 (from 1999) or Marshall Lead 12 (from 1982) and not worry about whether it needs to be re-tubed. If it's been taken care of, it probably still works. Also, low wattage tube amps have a lot of limitations - they sound great cranked, but if you want clean headroom for pedals, they may or may not give you that at within the narrow volume window they offer those sounds.

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Did not know if you were implying 'digital reverb' in relation to the Pathfinder 15R, or some other similar Vox, but the 15R has a small Reverb pan, it's not digital. Now it is of course SS, not tube driven. I keep mine at 3:00 just as it is admittedly not very strong, but a little space is created

I personally love the small cab, the 15W, the 8" speaker, all of it! It is just a perfect little amp. I use an always ON OD pedal that doubles the amp's volume, decent headroom, control clean/dirt from guitar volume, and stick a mic on it thru PA when needed. 17 Lbs. of heaven!;)

5. Mark76

Mark76 TDPRI Member

I want that 15w Monoprice amp.

Is there a British equivalent or would I need to try and buy it from the US?

6. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

The Monoprice is the basically the same as a Laney Cub 12R. and that amp seems pretty similar to Laney's LC15R, but the question would be why you're bringing this up in the Pathfinder Owners thread.

7. Mark76

Mark76 TDPRI Member

Because that's where it was mentioned.

8. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Not everywhere is the USA, and few other places have a used market of everyone's favourite amps available. This amp is not available, or not at this price in many countries. But even many find Vox's own 4W tubes as poor products. I've tried to like them, but they simply sound awful in comparison to the Pathfinder. They sound thin, small and tinny by comparison.

Even so, the idea a few gear heads on a collection of forums have any chance of swaying the worldwide selling decisions of a major corporation, are pretty fanciful.

9. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

I know it's a spring reverb, I've had 3 of them in the past! I just think digital reverb is a bit of a cop out!

10. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

The spring reverb in the Monoprice 15w has or at least had issues with its mounting leaving only about 1/4 to 1/3 of its range useful. Beyond that the cab vibrations caused the spring to vibrate and hit its housing creating a really unpleasant racket.

With any luck - that has been fixed by now but I know an early adopter that was very unhappy with the tiny reverb tanks performance.

I had and sold a Pathfinder 15 (selling was the single dumbest thing I have done in a long time) that was absolutely great with a feature set way beyond its price. I wish they would make more - I'd love to buy a brand spanking new one.

11. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

I tried the ac10c1 when it first came out, and I was impressed. If all else fails I'll settle for one.

I'm a firm believer an amp sounds best in its working range, much like a power band of an engine. A 12" speaker running at bedroom to recording levels sounds a little wooly. A 6" speaker starts to distort very early. A 8-10" speaker is a good balance.

I didn't realise how good my 15r were for purpose. As most bands plug everything into the PA there's no need for a huge back line.

The secret to getting tone out of the PF is to turn the treble knob down to 9oclock. I just picked up a PF10 and its a cracking little amp, and oddly pumps out more bass than my AC4 half stack? :S

If anyone needs video evidence of the PF15 capabilities, well this clip says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzwiLDcvy-0

12. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

Led mod trick

This is a .75 pick with the shoulders cut off the tip end. It grips the boost switch which stops the LEDs from engaging. Bigger more vox like sound.

Attached Files:

13. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

Huh? I don't get it. Isn't this like just not pushing down the boost button?

14. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

it's a bit like the old strat trick with matchsticks. It works on the pathfinder 10, not sure if it does the 15. If you push the boost button down a little bit, theres a volume boost, but if you push it until in clicks, then the LED are added in. This is half way, try it out.

Fred Perez likes this.
  15. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

See above post

Here are some tones I got using my 'modded' pathfinder 10 and a tele. It sounds huge under a mic. Only panning on mix, no compression or eq. Oh some reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/nickjamesdixon/forever-young-backing-for-stevie-rose

16. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the clip, Nick. Nice guitar tone. I hate the snare being so loud though. Jarring.

17. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input, you can never tell when you're mixing how it sounds.

Also, just bought an immaculate PF15R for £50 on gumtree. I can confirm the plectrum trick also works on that model.

Sorry I keep bumping the thread but this amp is THE home / recording amp for telecasters

18. Kimbarafuzz

Kimbarafuzz TDPRI Member

19. Kimbarafuzz

Kimbarafuzz TDPRI Member

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1455574008.607081.jpg

20. Kimbarafuzz

Kimbarafuzz TDPRI Member

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1455574054.624475.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.