1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

^^^ :cry: Requiem for a 15R. :cry:

2. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I thought the amp having to be connected to a speaker only applied to valve amps?

3. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

Back in the club last week. Running a 15R in stereo with a SF Champ.

4. Jack

Jack Tele-Meister

Apparently not.

5. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

It may be worth dropping it off at Tone Nut Amps on Virginia Beach Blvd across from Guitar Center for an estimate. Jim is very reasonable and he may be able to fix it in under an hour.

6. hoplite22

hoplite22 TDPRI Member

Hi everyone....I have an issue with my Pathfinder 15R.....

Was purchased used, and it just arrived today....I plugged in....and bad news...

As soon as I strum, I get a cracking noise, and then sound cuts in and out.....

Opened her up....and everything looks fine :( Im SO disappointed :(

If anyone here has any suggestions or solutions.....I would love to hear from you :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  7. littlericky

littlericky Tele-Meister

You might try cleaning the headphone , external and line out jacks. I'd the switching jacks go bad they cut in and out. For that matter try those jacks and see what happens

8. littlericky

littlericky Tele-Meister

The chip in the PF is run very close to spec max voltage. They're sensation to mismatches

9. littlericky

littlericky Tele-Meister

That was supposed to read sensitive.

10. hoplite22

hoplite22 TDPRI Member

Hi littlericky....thanks for your responses !!! Which chip are we talking about ? There are four mounted on the pcb !

11. littlericky

littlericky Tele-Meister

Sorry, the TDA2030

12. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

I just had to replace mine. It seems that the amp shorts out as soon as I try to plug into the external speaker jack. Maybe hoplite22 is having a similar issue? It's more than a little annoying.

13. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Has everyone heard about the new Vox VX I and VX II? Not released yet but they are small low end practice amps, 15 and 30W. I think they are meant to be the replacement for the Pathfinder.

14. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Another Vox modelling amp. So a replacement for the VT series

15. Mark76

Mark76 TDPRI Member

Boost on, volume full and gain at 9 o'clock gives pretty much exactly the same output as boost off, volume full and gain at 12 o'clock

Make of that what you will.

Fred Perez likes this.
  16. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Has anyone ever played their Pathfinder using a Wizard or Red Fang? or other high decibel amp? I wonder if that gives enough volume to compete.

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Just needed to bump 'our amp' back to the top, where it belongs.

Will be using the Pathfinder this week for a classic rock/blues/country gig with my band (I goose it with an always ON MXR Classic Distortion, or a Blues Driver to increase the amp's clean volume, as well as roll into OD>distortion with my guitar vol knob), as well as a 'lost weekend' jam in the Hills of W VA. I'm going for portability! Love this amp!

18. LGOberean

Anyone else use a PF15R with an acoustic/electric guitar?

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is the case with at least one other member of our club. Seems I remember somebody bought a soundhole pickup from some other TDPRIer, and then ran it through their Pathfinder. Don't remember who it was, or what the soundhole pup was, or for that matter if the Pathfinder was a 15 or 15R, or stock, or...

That's the only incident I can recall that anyone has shared in these pages, and obviously I don't recall too many particulars of that one, either. I could do a search for the info, but why not generate a little more discussion, while I'm at it? ;)

FWIW, I have plugged each of my 3 a/e guitars into one of my Pathfinders at one time or another. I've gigged 2 of them that way. Right now, my favorite a/e guitar + PF15F configuration is my Wechter Nashville into a Pathfinder. That high string sound is really great through a Pathfinder 15R. it works well (to my ear) on a number of songs, especially old British Invasion type songs: "I've Just Seen a Face" & "Elanor Rigby" by The Beatles, "Bus Stop" by the Hollies, etc. Nothing like that high string shimmer coupled with Vox chime. :D

19. krueger

krueger Tele-Meister

Got a used 15R today and boy what a nice little amp it is! It will definitely prolong the power tube lifetime of my AC15C1.

20. LGOberean

Congrats, krueger. :D A PF15R and an AC15C1. Nice. :D I've recorded with an AC15, but for home use and most every gig I do, it's the Pathfinder. (I play clean 99% of the time, solo performances, duo and trio work. If it's a larger crowd and/or venue, I use the Line Out on the rear panel to the PA.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.