1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

It's funny how different people hear different things. I actually think the speaker/cabinet on the pathfinder sound INCREDIBLE but I was only mildly impressed with the amplifier circuit. I much preferred my AC4TV head into the pathfinder cabinet/speaker. I love that little bulldog speaker for clean sounds. Haha

2. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

I should probably add a sig with the fact that I have the amp installed in an old 12" amp cab and run it through a choice of two Eminence speakers and a new WGS Retro 30 with less than two hours on it.

3. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

I have to second your point. I've connected a Laney LC15R to the speaker in my Pathfinder cabinet and the sound improvement was dramatic, which is amazing since the Laney has a 10 inch speaker and the Vox speaker is only 8 inches. It made the Laney sound how it's supposed to sound. IMO the speaker is part of what makes the Pathfinder sound so good, and the cabinet seems like it was designed to enhance the bass responsiveness and overall warmth of the amp.

4. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

The cab definitely pumps bass, but I wouldn't describe the PF15 as warm. The scooped mids and sizzly treble in stock trim made the amp a bit too sterile and hi-fi to my ear.

5. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

I can understand how the amp circuit might be somewhat sterile, but that's not due to the cabinet. I also don't get the sense of the mids being scooped at all. The warmth of this amp may be relative. I have and have had other solid state amps that have no warmth at all. And there seem to be quite a few owners who describe the Pathfinder as a surprisingly warm amp. It's like rdo1708 said,
    it's funny how different people hear different things.

6. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

It's all relative. I agree that for an 8" speaker, the Bulldog puts out a respectable amount of low end. The Pathfinder cab is also quite large to house an 8" speaker - case in point this photo I share a lot of my Pathfinder next to a Blackstar HT-1MC (both 8" speakers):

[​IMG]

But I have a Fender Mustang I - 20 watts, 8" speaker, closed back, and that amp seems both bassier and more resistant to speaker distortion/breakup. There are MANY differences between the two, obviously, but it did make me wonder if a different speaker in the Pathfinder would give it a "bigger" sound.

I don't find the Pathfinder to be "scooped" - I think the mids emphasis is part of what gives it a powerful sound, as mid-range clean tones really tend to project well. But far be it from me to tell anyone they're wrong when it comes to arguing about mid-ranges and American vs. British voicing, as these are tough for me to tell apart, and loosely defined by the "community". But no, I have never considered it to be a "warm" amp, nor is it really intending to be.

I am pretty curious what a Jensen MOD 8 or some other speaker would do in there, but the reasons I'm less inclined to even bother with it (even at only $30 expense) are:

• Person after person who has tried it tells me the Bulldog speaker was just as good or better
    • The voicing of a Vox amp may benefit from an 8" speaker at room volumes because you expect chime and clarity, but not booming bass
    • The amp provides multiple ways to get the sound into a bigger speaker without modification, including the 8 ohm cabinet jack and line out for use into another power amp

7. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

The only other amp I own is a Carvin Vintage 16 that had a Celestion V30 from the time I bought it 2006 until about 3 months ago, when I put in a Cannabis Rex. The PF puts out more lows and highs than the Carvin with either of the aforementioned speakers but lack complexity in the midrange where I dial my tone. So, maybe "scooped" might have been a misleading word to use, but I stand by my observation that the mids are less present and detailed than the highs and lows on the PF.
    Having said that, bump back in this thread a bit. for my observations on the Celestion Eight 15, if you missed it or are interested. This speaker has been a worthwhile upgrade, for me.

manic mailman likes this.
  8. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Bumping this comment from a separate thread because I just had this modification added by a local repair shop. This seems like it affects the amount of drive from the boost and not just volume output. I'm not sure if it works the same way as the LED clipping mod, because I haven't tried that mod, but I may not bother. I've been able to dial in kind of a sweet spot with the new trim pot that I wasn't really able to find before and now I just the leave the boost on. IMO, it give the amp more tube-like amp character and it sounds better now with dirt pedals. If you consider the boost effect to be too extreme, this is well worthwhile IMO.

BluesHobbit likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's how I hear it too. Hifi, crispy treble and big bass. In fact, that's how I hear all Vox amps. Even though they are huge, and heavy, and push a LOT of air, they are both way too loud and also lost in the mix.

I've only used them as backlines, so maybe the EQ dials work in a way I don't know how to dial in. Everyone calls them "mid-forward" but I don't hear them that way. As opposed to a Tweed Bassman, for instance. I hear Voxes as just as scooped, maybe more scooped, than blackface Fenders, but with a less sweet top end. Really nice edge-of-breakup tone though.

10. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I've been feeding my P15R through an old Excelsior cabinet, it's the low power speaker from the original Excelsior. It has altered the sound, given it more midrange and a fuller low end to the extent that I spend a lot of time on the bridge pickup where usually the middle position is home. Sounds good, not better, just different. I've always liked the stock Pathfinder speaker, it's a great match for the amp.

voxex.jpg

11. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

Wow. Exactly the opposite of what most folks say, which is that Vox amps have a lot more mids than a Fender and cut through really well.

Guess each persons ear hears differently

12. ZipCity117

ZipCity117 TDPRI Member

New to the club

Got a Pathfinder 15 a few weeks ago, figured I should post here. Using it with a Epi LP Special P90, and loving the tone so far! Wondering what dirt/OD pedal I should get for it. Looking for that Wallflowers-esque overdriven tone. Know I should get a Tele as well, but the middle position sounds spot on for Three Marlenas ;)

What pedal for a more distorted tone, a la Laughing out Loud or The Difference?

13. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I've found the Boss SD-1 works very well with the Pathfinder. Easy to find and cheap.

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I have yet to find an OD pedal (well honestly, I owned all my OD's before getting my Pathfinder) that did not sound great with my Pathfinder.

I use a slightly modded MXR Classic Distortion (really an OD, bright-modded to give the pedal a real edge/sizzle at low-moderate Gain), a Blues Driver, a Barber Direct Drive , and an MHP Fuzz Face-type fuzz. I just pick one and they all kick butt!

* I like the PF15R to have its cleanest tone/loudest clean volume, which for me is Gain at 11-12 clock, Volume at 2-3 clock, and Boost off. Then toggle between that tone, and my OD pedal set at a slightly higher volume (single coil guitars)

15. ZipCity117

ZipCity117 TDPRI Member

Well, that's good news! I'll probably try the SD-1 first and then go from there. Thanks guys.

16. zekaisapa

zekaisapa TDPRI Member

100% agree.

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Just doing my favorite dance, 'The Pathfinder Bump'

Played a a great regular blues/R&R gig with the PF15R Friday night (a small bar, and I'm the only guitarist, so the little Vox is perfect) and this amp was just a giant killer, with great tone and chimey grind. I use an MXR Classic Distortion ON all the time as it doubles my volume and I control all from guitar volume knob...Will use amp later today for a classic country gig, in a similar setting! Dig the Pathfinder- what a great tool/value, plus it just looks badass!;):twisted:

18. neville5000

neville5000 TDPRI Member

I got one a couple years ago and use it in stereo with a VHT Special 6 for my duo gig. I did the LED mod and shoehorned a 10" Weber Blue Pup in mine; took a great little amp and made it that much better. I'll take a pic at some point and post it along with some tele shots.

I'm running both amps clean and using a Monoprice Compressor, Digitech CM-2 for dirt, an old Ibanez Bi-Chorus to split the signal, and an MP DBD clone for slapback. On a $ to tone ratio this rig simply cannot be beat.

19. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

I signed up to 'Solid State Guitar' a couple of years back. I performed mods on my Pathfinder to improve the tone, but I had forgotten what I did. From the thread;

R18 is Midrange, which you can replace with a ~5k pot for mid control.

R17 is called the slope resistor and larger values will increase the treble.

Most you can do is decrease R17 a little, say to 22K, or C14 from the .1uF it has now to, say, .047uF.

Both will raise low mids and make sound a little warmer.

Any my response:

Well now...

I changed C14 to 0.047uF, C12 to 2200pF and C13 to 0.1uF. This works!

The shrillness is gone. In a weird way I slightly miss it. As somebody pointed out, the stock amp is good for 'country clean', and this is probably why they love it on TDPRI ('ello Mum!). With these mods, I can turn up the treble without it getting shrill, and I can turn up the bass without it flubbing out. It sounds more Marshally, though I'm not going to kid anybody with that really. The good thing is I can swap between humbuckers and singlecoils now without getting harsh single coils or muddy doubles. Great!

If shrill treble bothers you, you can raise C12 from present 1200pF to 1600 / 1800 / or 2200pF , which will let more high mids through

fozhebert likes this.
  20. Jack

Jack Tele-Meister

I killed my PF. Had it plugged into the speaker of another amp and the connection got kicked lose. Turned her on and smelled smoke. Went to shut her down and she had already died. So I ordered me a VOX AC101C to drown my sorrows.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.