1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. here4thefall

here4thefall Tele-Meister

No cutting it's the same size 8" speaker. With my ratchet and electric screw driver it takes all of 5 minutes. Unscrew the bottom back panel, pull the speaker wires off of the speaker terminal, unscrew the amp chassis,set it aside, unscrew Bulldog speaker, put in the eight 15 then reverse the steps before.

2. Uncle Pen

Uncle Pen TDPRI Member

I have two pathfinders, one 1x8 combo, and a SMR with a 4x8 sealed cabinet.

Attached Files:

3. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

It's amazing how the same amp grows into that huge head.....

Here's my lofi version....not near that big...or pretty!

Attached Files:

4. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

Earlier this evening, I posted to a thread I started last month in Amp Central Station. The thread was about whether anyone had tried a Celestion Eight 15 speaker in their Pathfinder 15. A member gave his experience, but I hadn't seen it until this evening. The response was appreciated and now I will update on my own experience.

The Celestion Eight 15 speaker definitely improved the amp to my ear. The bass is still very full, but the treble is less piercing, or"hissy," to my ear. The boost channel now has "fuzz," as opposed to "fizz," in my opinion.

I'll preface the next bit by saying I have done the "LED mod:" the amp still has too much bass for its cabinet in the "Boost" mode. I've tried padding the joints with weather-stripping, but I still get vibration of this lightweight cab. Having said that, I don't necessarily see this as a problem, given the fact that the PF has so many output options. Driving a larger cabinet, slaving to a power amp or sending to a PA, this amount of bass capability may be an additional asset. As a bedroom dude, I don't know.

Finally, I added a 3-spring MOD reverb tank to my Pathfinder. This has improved the amp as well, to my ear. Before, if I wanted to use the "Boost" mode or crank the gain in non-Boost mode, I'd have to eliminate the reverb because it made the sound coming out of the speaker too harsh in the treble frequencies. There was a noticeable "hiss" artifact in the sound. I no longer have that problem.

We all know what the Pathfinder is: a GOOD amp that was offered at a GREAT price. Not a giant-slayer, but a nice confluence of technology, performance and price. The mods I made to my amp (LED mod, Celestion speaker, better reverb tank) made the amp better for my needs. It may not have the touch-sensitivity, harmonic content of overall responsiveness of my tube amp, but it packs a lot of options in an operator-friendly, lightweight package.

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't done the LED mod to any of my 3 PF 15Rs. I've been happy with them stock. Granted, there can be some vibration in the small cab in Boost mode, but that hasn't presented much of a problem to me, for two reasons. (1) The overwhelming majority of the time, I play clean, and even when I do engage the Boost for some grit, I go with just a hint of hair, the edge of breakup sound. (2) When I play out, I almost always run a Line Out to my PA, which for me works like a dream.

BTW, I've been remiss in my duties as a fan of the Pathfinder 15R. :oops: I posted my latest pic in another thread, but forgot to post it here as well. So without further ado, here is a pic of my 3 PF 15Rs (together with my teles)...

[​IMG]

The first one I got is in the middle of the pic, the older black grill cloth/Korean. On either side of it are my later brown grill cloth/Vietnamese models. The first I got for $40 at a pawn shop years ago, then one of the browns off of ebay. Then, when I got the first hint of the Pathfinder 15Rs being discontinued, I bought the last one North Coast Music had in stock.

amorica likes this.
  6. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Interesting take from @dinomike77 on the speaker change and too much bass for the cabinet/size. My amp is unmodded (black grille; 1999 I think). It doesn't have to be turned up too far before you get some degree of either speaker distortion or rattling. For the most part, this does not bother me, and it gets loud enough for my needs without having to push it much.

I actually have never tried line out to a PA or monitor, I might need to try that. I had an amp (now sold) with a 2x12" cabinet, I recall being amazed how awesome the Pathfinder line out sounded powering those larger speakers!

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I recommend it. With the Line Out option, I hear my Pathfinder's warmth behind me onstage, while the amp's tone comes through the 2 12s in my PA's mains.

8. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

To Clarify...

The speaker change had nothing to do with the increased bass I'm perceiving. I'd always been impressed with the PF's bass response, even in it's stock form. The LED mod had a dramatic effect on the overall response of the amp with the Boost engaged. This is when I noticed that the amp's capability for bass response outstripped it's cabinet's ability to handle those lows. The reason for the speaker change was due to the 'tin-foil crinkly' response I was noticing in the treble range. The Celestion performed as expected with a thicker, more focused midrange and highs that don't grate on my ears. This has allowed me to engage the controls in a way I couldn't before, not because they didn't have range; it's just that the range they had seemed to emphasize a scooped sound. Another way, the Eight 15 put more meat into the midrange that allows me to use the bass and treble controls at higher settings without losing that thickness. Before, I kept those controls low as the only way to emphasize mids without a dedicated mid control.

Adding the larger reverb tank was the last piece of the puzzle. I can now utilize the reverb knob across its entire range, boost on or off, without the annoying 'hissy' artifacts I'd noticed in the stock reverb with the knob set anywhere above 9 o'clock.

Sorry if that all seems long-winded. I just wanted to share that these three mods took the amp from being flipped to a straight-up keeper, for me.

9. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Makes sense, thanks for the information! I don't have the heart/guts/whatever to mod mine. I feel lucky enough to have one, even if they aren't "rare" by any real sense of the word. The one change I thought about making was the speaker, which should be reversible. Given that the replacement options are all of 30 bucks, I probably should try it.

Any reason you opted for the Celestion over the Jensen Mod 8"? I've seen both thrown out as Pathfinder replacements, but probably the latter more than the former. I don't know much about speaker specifications, and the proprietary "Bulldog" specs, to my knowledge are not available for comparison.

10. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

I went with the Celestion because I'd had a Vintage 30 in my Carvin 16 for many years. While I went to a different speaker in that amp, the qualities of the Celestion seemed to be what I wanted out of my PF: more mids, tighter bass and sturdier highs when broken in. All in all a more typically British sound. Comparing these eight inchers next to their 12" counterparts of the same make may be a flawed experiment, it worked for me this time!

11. grantbob

grantbob TDPRI Member

Do you have a model number for the reverb tank you used?

Thanks

12. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

I used the Mod Reverb Tank, 8EB2C1B Equivalent based on the work of TDPRI member Trout. For the full scoop, check out his post from April 4th, 2014 titled: Vox Pathfinder 15R Reverb Tank Swap - Tutorial. I hope it works out as well for you as it did for me!

13. here4thefall

Any reason you opted for the Celestion over the Jensen Mod 8"? I've seen both thrown out as Pathfinder replacements, but probably the latter more than the former. I don't know much about speaker specifications, and the proprietary "Bulldog" specs, to my knowledge are not available for comparison.[/QUOTE]

I believe the Heavy duty Bulldog speaker is made my a company called Vanke. They have a model that looks just like it and the specs are here.
    http://vanke-speaker.com/index/view.php?aid=156.

I think the dB rating is a little bloated though because the Celestine eight 15 is rated at 95db and is clearly louder than the bulldog speaker. I posted pics of them side by side on page 138.
    I will most likely replace my other PF15R bulldog with another Eight 15 .

14. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

(Great input above on the Bulldog/Vanke speaker, thanks @here4thefall)

So, I was in a guitar shop and they had a Celestion Eight 15 hanging right on the wall. After returning an amp I purchased there that was crapping out, I bought something less expensive and had about 30 bucks to make up, so I grabbed the speaker. But I noticed a sticker on it suggesting that it was 4 ohms. I couldn't remember how speaker impedance worked (which direction you could go safely) but the guys in the shop told me that it would be fine with the Pathfinder, even if it turned out the Pathfinder is 8 ohms. Then I got home, looked into it more closely and found out that you can use a 16 ohm speaker with a 8 ohm amp safely, but going in the opposite direction is risky and can harm the amp.

But I'm stumped - the Celestion website doesn't appear to show any evidence of a 4-ohm model:

http://celestion.com/product/8/eight_15/

But Sweetwater sells one and their video says "Now available in 4 ohm". Dammit. I really don't want to have to return something else to them, but I don't think I can put this in my Pathfinder and worry about damaging it long-term.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Eight15

15. here4thefall

You can go up in ohms but not down. I would return it and get the 8 ohm .
    I've also tried a Jensen mod8 and it was good too but in a band context it sounded thinner. There was a dip in the lower mids that I didn't like.
    The eight 15 has all the important frequencies for guitar within context of it being an 8" speaker.

16. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Thanks. That is what I will have to do. I was in a hurry and did not check up on it properly. That does sound like the one to try though.

17. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Has anyone tried the Celestion Ten 30 yet in the PF? Seems like it would have the right stuff for the 10" conversion. They are available for $35 delivered from MF.

http://celestion.com/product/33/ten_30/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/celestion-ten-30-10-30w-guitar-speaker?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CLC5nPvy28UCFcWUfgodfXQAWw&kwid=productads-plaid^82171238427-sku^[email protected]^PLA-device^c-adid^51870555867

Sorry I can't get that link to work.

18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Just had to get this page back to the top!

Once again, (in the interest of portability/mobility) I played my Pathfinder 15R this weekend for a few NoVa Festival events (classic country band). Just used my Tele (with headstock tuner), delay pedal (for slapback), and Pathfinder. The soundman sticks a mic in front, and the amp just sounded clean/huge! What a great amp!

amorica likes this.
  19. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

I do not remember trying an EQ pedal with mine until last weekend and so far I'm liking it. Just something else one can try.

20. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I have an EQ pedal, but one of the reasons I did not try it is that the amp seems far more powerful than that 8" Bulldog can possibly handle. Boosting lows or pretty much any frequency would probably exacerbate that, at least with my particular model.

I realize this now more that I picked up an '82 Marshall Lead 12 for $100 at Guitar Center. (Yes, scroll back a page or two and you'll see some of us discussing the Lead 12 joking about wanting one. Leave it to me to have one show up at my GC and go buy it. Haha). Anyway, it's a great solid state amp with totally different characteristics than a Pathfinder. But that amp came stock with a Celestion UK-made 10" speaker, which is fed by 12-watt preamp. Haven't A/B'ed them, but I'm pretty sure the Pathfinder is louder. But you notice immediately that you can basically dime the controls on the Lead 12 (Bass needs to be run pretty close to "10") and the cabinet/speaker aren't struggling at all. It's similar to how great the Pathfinder is when you run into an external speaker. I just don't really want to rip mine up to try and install a 10" (at least not yet).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.