1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. TigerEye

TigerEye TDPRI Member

Ahhhhh of course! Thanks for the tip!

2. Clicky

Clicky TDPRI Member

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks, great to see the Pathfinder get some respect (not that it wasn't before...) in the 'guitar gear' press. I think that just about everyone that comes across a PF15R is impressed (on some level) as to what a value, 'bang for buck'
    this amp really is.

4. jared808

jared808 NEW MEMBER!

I have one, have had mine for years now, probably pretty close to when they came out, got it new, have loved it since. was always wondering why they didn't expand the line to higher wattage amps, we would all be crying tears of joy if they made these in 100 watts!!! but alas, they just made them as practice amps. feist and nora jones have images of them rocking the 15 on stage, with a mic of course. I was close to getting a nighttrain cabinet years ago for it, even saw a 4x12 vox speaker (I know right!) used on guitar center's website like 4 years ago, but didn't do it, cause it was too much of a risk getting that online. also, as others keep reminding us, it doesn't up the ampage, lol, just clears the sound, which stinks. I will get a speaker one day for it to hear it have more headroom, as the "overdrive" on this thing isn't hot and I avoid it by going as low with gain and high with volume as possible. I have a louder amp, but the sound on this is magical. I have the one with reverb and trem

5. jared808

jared808 NEW MEMBER!

seems like everyone kept them a secret till people online started sharing the secret, then vox stopped making them, unaware of how popular they are. they would of never made a larger one though, being too good of a value, they would rather people pony up the 5-7 hundred for the tube/valve amps, but a 100, heck even like 70 watt pathfinder would of been like, what? 3-350, and the powers that be couldn't give us what we all wanted. have people contacted the vox corp and demanded answers? lol.

6. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

That article is great! But dang it, now you're making me want a Marshall Lead 12. Haha, it never ends.

I do have be a total nerd and call "BS" on the author for one small detail, however...he talks about playing his 15R "back in the 90's." The Pathfinder 15 (which is the non-reverb edition with the black grille, and the one I have) came out in 1999. The 15R came out in 2000, and then they discontinued the 15 around 2002. Which is amazing to me because it seems like at least 50% of the used Pathfinders I see come up are the non-reverb edition, but those apparently were only made from '99 to '02.

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/p15r.html

I think you're close, but I also think the Valvetronix is a much bigger seller for them. Or at least it HAS to be, since stores like Guitar Center now push the modeling stuff above all else, and for a player just starting out (who wants to ape a bunch of different tones, but doesn't have the funds for a pedalboard/multi-FX), you could argue it's more useful to them.

The thing that gets forgotten so easily is that we all talk about the Pathfinder 15 being dead, but Vox still does make a Pathfinder! It's the Pathfinder 10. I actually played one last week to demo some pedals (it took pedals quite well) to hear what they would sound like with "bedroom amplifiers". People are extremely dismissive of it on message boards, but for home volumes I thought it was quite good. It had only two clear shortcomings over the 15 that I noticed in my short time with it:

(1) It's a 6.5" speaker instead of the 8" Bulldog. This is just a dealbreaker for most people, as it's pretty hard to get meaningful low end of any kind once you get below 8" (and arguably 10" or even 12", depending on the style of music).

(2) The gain range is a bit more "solid state" in its behavior. The boost channel did not sound great, and the clean channel had a decent chime to it, but did not seem to dirty up the way the Pathfinder 15/R does in such convincing fashion

So you could argue then that the Pathfinder 10 with those shortcomings isn't any more special than a small Fender Frontman or Roland Cube. But it goes against the idea that VOX is completely uninterested in making small solid state amps around price points of $100 (or less).

Final note regarding the "bigger Pathfinder" pipedream before I end my rambling - I do wonder if a 30-, 50-, 100-watt solid state Pathfinder would actually be as good as we imagine it would be. I think the 15 just hits a sweetspot - it is so popular in these parts because it's arguable the closest thing you can get to the sound of a turned-up AC30 at volumes most people actually practice with (and it's cheap, portable, reliable, etc...). More wattage in a combo would mean more clean headroom, but at what cost? In any event, using the 15R as a "head" into another speaker is already a pretty good solution for getting that Pathfinder tone at louder volumes.

7. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Vox used to have a forum and people asked lots of tough questions and Vox closed the forum down.

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I've posted before about using my PF15Rs in performance. In a round about way (to me, anyway), this pic is photographic evidence of that.

[​IMG]

Okay, obviously my Pathfinder isn't in the pic, but let me explain. I did an outdoor party here this past Saturday evening. I had my usual rig set up: Peavey PA (XR8600D powered mixer and PR12 speakers), and my Logan Custom BSB plugged into one of my 15Rs, with a Line Out going to a channel on the mixer. I had the amp pointed up at me so I could hear it while performing, but the signal was coming through the mains.

So during sound check I had strolled out in front of the speakers to hear my guitar as my audience would. From the angle of the shot, I know that this was taken during my sound check. I never knew I was being photographed.

havlma1 likes this.
  9. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Hey Larry G. . .take a picture of your rig. . .sounds interesting. .

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

11. Clicky

Clicky TDPRI Member

Too funny! First thing I did after reading the article was flip over to eBay and check out the Lead 12 combos :lol:

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, okay, I will. It's gonna be about a week before I use that specific rig setup again, but I'll do it. It'll be me taking the picture, not the professional photographer, and on just my cell phone, but I'll give it a try next time I rock that rig.

13. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Yeah, same here. Price is right, but I think I can resist that based on some of the mixed opinions out there. Also, I had a really bad experience with a 30W Marshall Valvestate in the 90's, which is basically the whole reason I assumed solid state amps had to be garbage...until I played a Pathfinder 15! But, as we know, the Pathfinder is more exception than rule.

14. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

HA!! Did the same thing.

15. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Larry. . .looking forward to seeing it. .

16. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

I knew you were a camera whore.......

Hey.. born in 53 we have to strut our stuff when possible......

17. here4thefall

here4thefall Tele-Meister

I posted this in another thread asking if anyone has put a Celestion eight 15 in a PF and thought I'd post here as well. I have 2 PF's and put the eight 15 in one.It'so not as broken in as the Bulldog (5 years old) but I've been working on it and it has changed since I first put it in.

Sound wise it'seems clearer in the mids, not as fuzzy in the highs but still chimey and clear full bass. I can raise the gain know higher before it distorts allowing for more clean volume and boy does it have that. It's quite louder than the Bulldog and stays clearer doing it. Neither of my PF's have the led mod by the way. The Eight 15 can hang with a band and sit in the mix well without it missing something too. I'm impressed that such a small speaker can sound like this. I haven't done any recordings or videos of them side by side yet but I have some pic's.

Btw I carefully peeled the sticker off one of the Bulldogs and there was an ink stamp that read "MG15/PF15R which leads me to believe it the same speaker used in the Marshall MG series possibly.

Attached Files:

18. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Is that Celestion speaker heavier? Looks like a slightly bigger magnet....

19. here4thefall

here4thefall Tele-Meister

Yeah richey it's heavier. The magnet is bigger. I 'm amazed there isn't more reviews for this speaker being it's on backorder on most the music gear sites, must be popular. One thing I forgot to mention is you can tell when I'm playing a single coil guitar to a humbucker guitar a little more now too. It's not the be all end all perfect fit for everyone speaker but I think it's a nice upgrade from the Bulldog speaker for me.

20. zekaisapa

zekaisapa TDPRI Member

Did you have to cut something or just fits without any problem?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.