1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Troutboy

Troutboy TDPRI Member

I'm looking for a footswitch for my PF 15 EXR. Can't seem to find any info on which one to get, can someone here help perhaps?

Cheers,
    Troutboy

2. jmgruber

jmgruber Tele-Meister

Fairly certain any two button footswitch with stereo cable will work.

Here's the official one @ Sweetwater

Here's a DIY

3. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

The LED mod makes the boost a whole bunch louder. I reversed the LED mod. For me it made the amp more obviously solid state. I didn't see the point of it. I might put a different diode in place of one of the LEDs to see how the amp sounds with asymetric clipping though. I'm not sure how many more times I can take my Pathfinder to bits without seriously wearing out the particle board.

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I bought the Vox VSF2 (2-button FS) a while back, I think I got it from Musicians Friend - but I really can't remember, sorry!

5. THampton

THampton TDPRI Member

Hi, just bagged myself a Pathfinder 15R on eBay. My current practice amp is a Pathfinder 10. Looking forward to reading136 pages of forum posts!

Was thinking about a valve amp, probably a Blues Junior, but at my level of playing (learning) I think the 15R will be good and it seems to be universally liked. Plus I like doing some mods. Can't wait for it to turn up now.

6. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

I hope you love it. . .so many of us do. .

7. Clicky

Clicky TDPRI Member

One button switch

If you only want to switch one function and you already have a single switch, you can use a TRS adapter. The switch plugged into one side will do the boost, and the other will do the tremolo.

Attached Files:

8. Clicky

Clicky TDPRI Member

Thank you Manolete for the feedback. I don't find much use for the boosted gain past 12 o'clock, so I was thinking about the LED mod to give the boosted gain a more vintage character, or at least to increase the clean headroom as a base for pedals.

With the boost on and the volume way up, I just use the gain as a volume control, and it stays clean because the gain stays low. It sounds full with good sustain at low volumes, I guess because the power amp section is fully pushed? So it stands to reason that the LED mod wouldn't affect that particular setting since it doesn't sound like there's any LED clipping. Just wanted to verify this before tempting fate with my soldering "skills." :eek:

I'm thinking about putting the LEDs on a switch. I like the idea of trying a different diode--I haven't heard anything like that. Would that give the clipping more of a tube screamer quality?

9. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Excellent idea.

By the way, after having mine for a few weeks now, I was figuring out that the Vox Bulldog speaker is part of the magic that makes this amp sound so good. It seems be voiced very well for overdriven guitar. For a test of this hypothesis, I hooked up my Laney LC15R tube amp to the Pathfinder speaker and was blown away by how much the sound improved over the Laney's stock, but larger HH Invader speaker (10 inch). It was like taking a blanket off the Laney. Before doing this, the Pathfinder arguably sounded better or at least as good as the Laney, but not now. I've heard about people wanting to swap the Vox speaker, but for an 8 inch speaker, I think it holds its own very well. But for those who do switch speakers for the Pathfinder, what options end up sounding better than the stock better? Just curious.

10. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

There are videos on You-Tube about this.

11. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

IMHO the best thing you can do is start plugging in some different speakers into the speaker out and see what they sound like...10" or 12".

Expand your mind...........

12. Clicky

Clicky TDPRI Member

I haven't felt the urge to change the speaker, but here are a few that I've seen recommended most often:

Eminence Ragin' Cajun 10
    WGS Veteran 10
    Weber Alnico Blue Pup 8 or 10

The caveat is quite a few comments that the change wasn't dramatic enough to be worth the bother. I think an 8 by nature just seems too small to most of us, but the PF actually sounds really full, at least at home. Gigging this amp might call for a bigger, more efficient speaker, but for man cave play and recording it works great.

13. Chiogtr4x

Folks can do what they want, but I happen to think that an 8" speaker is a perfect fit for the Pathfinder and its cab. I do (smaller room) classic rock and classic country gigs all the time with this amp and for the R&R gigs I'm using an OD (always ON) to actually boost the amp's clean headroom (as well as the ability to roll into OD with my guitar's volume knob) and that 8" speaker handles it all with a full, and full-range tone- love it!

14. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

Which pedal are you using for this?

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I haven't read the full thread. But I think guitarists naturally have a "bigger is better" (he he) tendency, at least with speakers. To me, there's a weird thing where a bigger speaker in a small cab can actually sound SMALLER than a good, smaller speaker in that small cab. No idea if there's any physics behind it, but that's how I hear it.

I think it's part of why a Deluxe Reverb sounds "bigger" to me than many other similar watt amps in smaller cabs. There's actually a good amount of room for that speaker. Or, I could be crazy.

But I've been looking for a small practice amp that I can play at low volumes at home. I love my gigging amps, but even the 14 watter is just so darn loud. And this thread caused me to sell a couple pedals and jump on the Pathfinder 15 bandwagon. Excited to try. And if it's half as good as advertised - how crazy is that - sell 2 pedals and get . . . an AMP? Yes!

Thinking it might also be good for rehearsal. Tuner, delay, volume pedal and Pathfinder. We rehearse pretty quiet. Often with acoustic and the drummer on a single snare. But I do a lot of lap steel and getting any kind of tone when everyone's at acoustic volume is so hard with tubes.

Hopefully it responds well to the volume knob. Chiogtr4x I know you say you like a Blues Driver in front. Is that because the 15 doesn't respond to the volume knob?

16. Chiogtr4x

The answer is actually the same pedals I use on my Fender tube amps (a '68 Deluxe Reverb or a Blues Jr.) which are a stock Boss Blues Driver or a slightly modded (to be brighter) GC/MXR Classic Distortion (a cheapie OD that IMO sounds great). With the exception of the classic country I play (band), I guess I have found it easier for me (since I never need to much distortion for the music I play) to just have good dynamic OD ON all the time, and roll guitar volume knob, from clean>dirty (so this means amp X is set to generate a fair amount of clean volume, wityh guitar vol at 1/2 UP...), rather than step on a pedal for leads. It just works for me..

The bonus is that these pedals (and probably any good OD) at low Gain settings will boost PF15's clean volume. You just have to like the tone and character of the distortion coming from the pedal. For me the Blues Driver is EQ transparent (so it sounds like guitar>amp) and my MXR is a little more midrangy/edge like a Tube Screamer. BUT the guitar controls it all!:D

Fred Perez likes this.
  17. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

MilwMark.... I have seen that in testing the same speaker A/B side by side (I have 2 Legend 12" speakers) the one in the larger cabinet always seems louder.

Now I can see if one installs a 10" with a higher spl rating it getting louder.

18. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

Chiogtr4x....I was always wondering what would do a clean boost with out adding any color to the signal. I wished that I had one to try but every other BOSS pedal I have I just don't like. I have been "talked into" buying most. I do have an early 1990's FZ2 that has a clean boost on it. BUT it seems like I tried it...don't remember. I'm looking for something cheap that I can do as you say and control it with the volume knob. Something lower gain than most of the heavier gain style pedals that I have which will not turn down very well to use with the more classic rock type song.

Classic Country....you mean the sixties/seventies style country that I grew up with?:)

19. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

It's a very full sounding amplifier, and I've never thought about trying to jam a 10" in there because to me, it would make more sense to just use the thing as a head into whatever size speaker you want.

I went through a phase where I had a Vox Valvetronix AD100VT in my basement - that thing was 64 pounds of 2x12" modelling goodness, and I was using this basically to play at bedroom volumes with the amp sponge. I don't gig, I don't even play out of the house or particularly loud. I wanted it because it was used and cheap, and the fullness of playing through those 12" cones was amazing, even at lower volumes. I sold it because an amp of that size was totally impractical for me, but before I did, I had an opportunity to try the Pathfinder into the effects loop return of the AD100VT (so basically using it as a cabinet). Man did that sound amazing! Could not believe how much clean headroom and warm chime there was from this 15W solid state head powering a much bigger speaker.

I've often wondered if my Pathfinder sounds identical to other ones - I've considered buying/trying a second one, but the two I've seen at Guitar Center since were in much worse condition than mine (jacks were beat up, etc.). I recently figured out that mine is a 1999 (the non-reverb edition only ran from 1999-2002, I believe).

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/p15.html

Mine seems to be in working order, but if you push it, you will get some speaker distortion and maybe even a slight rattle. Then again, it's freakin' loud for an 8" even with the volume at about half.

20. Chiogtr4x

As far as OD pedals used as boosts (or call it what you want, I think I mean giving my guitar>amp tone an increase in volume w/o much of a change in EQ) I guess I have just figured out how to make the Boss Blues Driver work for me- for ex. I set all pedal controls at NOON and leave pedal ON, this just gives me great range of clean >dirty from my guitar volume knob, and enables me to set amp volume at any volume needed.

I kind of do with a BD-2 what I could never do right, that many other players of classic Fenders (or say Non Master Volume Marshalls or whatever...) amps do, and that is crank the amp volume all the way up and do everything from their guitar volume knob. For me the amp was always too loud, distortion was either woofy/unfocused too biting etc., lost treble when turning guitar volume down. The BD-2 gives me range, and it still sounds like guitar>amp w/o EQ coloring

As for classic country, I'm talking about I guess '60's and earlier, Hank W, Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Ernest Tubb, Merle H...plus Old R&R like Elvis, Buddy Holly....

* more notes (sorry!) about my working/gigging with the Pathfinder (8" speaker) with respect to volume and tone:

I really only use single-coil guitars with this amp- just found the humbucker guitars too overwhelming to preserve a cleanish tone (for me)

I'm the only electric guitar in the bands I play in- so that makes a big difference in terms of this amp's volume potential- not having to compete for that same 'acoustic space' with another electric...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.