1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by robb3566, Jun 12, 2009.

1. daveyguitar

daveyguitar TDPRI Member

No Rules

Excellent post.I've heard that these amps are no good with humbuckers,but I submit, (objectively), that my SG Standard sounds different, but still excellent with my P15.Even crazier....sounds still even more excellent with humbuckers AND boost using the gain as volume (volume @ 3:00+).People can't believe that Vox Beatles tone can be turned into such a good "brown" sound also with the right adjustments and using the neck 'bucker.My bandmates and our audiences love the tones this amp can dish out.Iused to think these amps were just okay especially for the money when I bought my 1st one in 1999.But with more time playing it, and I'll have to admit this forum, I find it to be most versitile.You just have to find your sound in her...it's there.Single coils or humbuckers.:cool:

2. dofasol

dofasol TDPRI Member

hello,

I'm the proud owner of a vox pathfinder 15
    made in korea, no reverb, only an headphones output jack at the back.

I've opened it to see if the add of an speaker output jack would be easy and i discovered that the headphones jack is already on an board wich can host line out and ext speaker as well !

can anyone sent me a pic to see how it is conected and wich are the missing components on my ic ?

[​IMG]
    thanks, best regards

3. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

That's very strange. It looks like your amp was intentionally made to be missing those components. I have one of the first 500 1999 Pathfinders and it has the 2 jacks that you are missing, as well as the headphone one. Perhaps when manufactured for some markets, Vox had to delete the line out and external speaker, maybe for cost reasons or local regulations. Or could it be just a production line error?

If someone has not provided a photo by tomorrow, I'll open up mine and send you a photo. It is not near me at the moment.

4. dofasol

dofasol TDPRI Member

The model ref V9158 and serial 0015858 made in korea

I've also unscrewed the black metal plate which holds the jack to see if some writings were hidden or missing;
    Only "headphones" in the center ...

5. BIGD5

BIGD5 TDPRI Member

dofasol

Hello to Brussels.

There is another option also that I did to a Bandit 112 to have an 8 ohm speaker out that would disconnect the stock speaker. You would unplug the stock speaker, run the wires to a 1/4" jack that you add and install a speaker lead to the stock speaker with a male plug on the end of it. It was easy to do and you do not have to touch the board.

Attached Files:

6. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I recently picked up a Korean Pathfinder 15 with the headphone socket on the rear. It's a good combo and I run it in stereo with a 15R.

One difference though between the two is that the Korean 15 makes a horrible noise if connected to pedals that are powered via a Caline Power 5 multiblock. If the pedals are battery powered or even if powered via a One Spot daisy chain it works fine. The 15R works fine with any power supply. Strange.

7. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

Does anyone know what the actual output of the PF15 is? I used to have an AC15 & it was way louder. I A/Bd them through the same speaker to eliminate variables. And there was no Fletcher Munson, or whatever that BS is called. With the PF dimed, I'm thinking, no way I can use this with a drummer. With the AC15 dimed, caulk rattled loose from my windows & things fell from shelves, so it's not a perception thing, yet they are both supposed to be 15 watts, right?

I know people say 'yeah I totally gig with my PF' but I'm not talking about strumming Every Rose has its Thorn at the coffee house- Has anyone tried playing it unmic'd with a loud rock band?

8. jmgruber

jmgruber Tele-Meister

lothar34 - tube vs solid state. No comparison. LED mod increases headroom, but unruly drummers, probably not without a mic.

9. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Pix

dofasol

Here are the photos as promised. I think the Euro spec of the early PF was trimmed down compared to USA, probably for cost reasons. Note my amp was made in 1998, number 495. The 4th shot is the bottom of the output board, in case you want to compare that to yours.

I hope this provides enough detail. Good luck with bringing yours up to this spec.

Attached Files:

10. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Tube watts dB's don't equal SS watt dB's

11. dofasol

dofasol TDPRI Member

thanks a lot Michael

12. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Recently joined the club with a Vietnamese made PF with the brown grill-cloth pattern. It's very versatile considering how simple this amp is. The gain, boost and eq work well to create a wide variety of tones. The drive can get a little mushy, but generally it give a good range between clean, slightly overdriven and basic distortion. The tremolo is a little subtle, but still sounds very good. The reverb is a little weak and sometimes tinny sounding, although it's okay for basic noodling. One thing, I've discovered is that, like a tube amp, it doesn't seem to take digital multi-effects pedals very well. I use a Digitech RP-255 for multi-effects, but with the amp modeling turned off, but it just doesn't sound good going into the PF. I'd like to use a digital reverb, but with the gain up or the boost on, the reverb turns really messy. Has anyone had better luck with a stand-alone reverb pedal? If so, which ones? And does the gain on PF mess up modulation effects too?? I'm thinking that maybe this amp should have had an effects loop built into it.

13. here4thefall

here4thefall Tele-Meister

I use a Digitech rp500 with my 2 and they take it well. I set the PF's up for clean then use the ac30 model and turn off the speaker sim, set the ac30 gain,bass,mid,treble to 0, volume 99. Preset volume to 99 and rp500 master volume at 65. Even without using the AC30 model and just using the RP500 as a pedal board it sounds good.
    But I have to keep the PF's clean or slightly dirty because using the rp's effects like reverb or delay with the PF's distortion gets mushy like any time you run effects in the front end of a distorted amp.

14. Clicky

Clicky TDPRI Member

LED Mod Question

Ha! Just finished reading all 135 pages (so far). Thanks to all who have shared their experiences.

I just got my PF15R (pics to come) thanks to this forum, and I played it from the get-go with boost on, volume up, gain to taste thanks to suggestions on this thread. I think that tone is exceptional--to me it sounds beautifully compressed, round and full without any plucky attack.

Does the LED mod change the character/quality of that "boost on/volume up/low gain" tone? I wouldn't want to lose it.

15. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

I'm of the ain't broke don't fix it school….

Spent the last month with just the PF and really impressed all over again how good it can be. I need quite different settings with my Strat and LP, as the LP has far hotter output, and HBs of course, so different gain and EQ settings are needed to get both working as I like.

Boost would be useful on the Strat if I could play at higher volume as it sounds really nice, but hard to control on the LP. Still sounds great with either guitar.

16. Clicky

Clicky TDPRI Member

17. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

18. Clicky

Clicky TDPRI Member

True, but all of the amps in the future will run on lab engineered bio-circuits, and all of today's SS Pathfinders are being hacked up and stuffed into a bewildering variety of boxes by Fender's secret agents masquerading as forum members (apparently they've infiltrated the Korg executive offices as well).

But seriously, I've seen a couple of those Thomas Organ PFs in the last couple of months, and although opinions seem to vary about them, they have a cool vibe to them. If I had the money, he might find an interested buyer in me :)

19. Clicky

Clicky TDPRI Member

Officially joining the club

I recently purchased my Pathfinder for $80 on CL, where I had been watching it for about a month. Couldn't stand it any more, so I made the 120 mile round trip. It turned out to be a great experience because the seller was a very nice retired gentleman who loves making speaker cabinets and playing guitar. He had a semicircle stack of amps and cabs and a Highway 1 Tele, so I got to hear the Vox on its own and through several different speakers, including a Celestion Gold and a Rola (scrounged from an old organ, I believe). Volume up, boost on, gain down, and the sound was as beautiful as any I've tried. I was also touched by Don's gift of handmade brass and walnut picks. So I acquired both a wonderful little amp and a great memory.

Attached Files:

20. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Me too. I played thru one similar at a little shop in NJ. Tremolo was awesome, and 7 tube watts will disturb the neighbors. Sounded awesome cranked. Wish I had the scratch for it, probably long gone. Still love mine from 'Nam though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.