VOX Pathfinder insanity

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mike_LA, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Tell that to Jimmy Page! :)

Mike_LA likes this.
  2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I sold two of the PAthfinders I had.. I was needing money at that time, but I wouldnt let it go if I wasnt in trouble at that time..

Im passively hunting for one just to keep forever.. they are great sounding amps low volume and loud.. I love them to bits..

3. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

i have a '66 tube Pathfinder with some dreamy tremolo that just keeps gettin better..and more expensive.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What did they retail for.new? I got on the bandwagon late.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure but I think $89.99

bhcmbw74zoijfnmnvlri.jpg

nojazzhere and Bruxist like this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

$119 was a common street price, new.
    They ( the PF15R's) were made from 2000- 2012/13

nojazzhere and Bruxist like this.
  7. Bruxist

Thinking about it. Wondering if I could talk them down to $120 or so. If I had two, I would let each of my kids use one if they decide to play (and both are interested).

Damn sight better than the Gorilla P.O.S. I started on!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

I don't know if you read my later post, but Wed.night, 10:30 PM just after reading more posts on this silly thread, I went to local FB Marketplace, for kicks, and top of the page ( 1st listing) was a PF15R for $100! Weird, weird!

I jumped on it and got it yesterday!

(sadly, a woman's father passed, and she's selling his guitar gear)

The amp is in new condition, with optional footswitch- wow! Will use on regular Sunday Cafe gig.

9. Bruxist

Had no idea they had a footswitch. What does it switch?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Funny, I bought the same VSF-2 footswitch years ago for my first Pathfinder.
    But never use it as it's big and heavy ( and I'm big and heavy, so I travel light on gig gear- really!)

The Footswitch ( 2 buttons) controls Tremolo and Boost function, ON/OFF

* besides the size of switch issue,
    I never use Boost function, and since I play sitting down, I can control Tremolo on the fly ( usually either OFF, or roll both Trem controls to just past NOON).
    The switch is good to turn Trem on/off in the middle of a song, but I'm just lazy

11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think mine was $119 new minus the 15% coupon.

nojazzhere and Chiogtr4x like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

My first Pathfinder was used, $85 ( maybe 8 years ago) on CL.

I tried it out at previous owner's apartment, and it sounded great.

But did not notice 'till the next day, at home that it actually had a 4 ohm Crate speaker in there.
    I had another Celestion 8", 8 ohm speaker handy, so I put that in.

( I have a new Jensen Mod 8" as a spare, when/if needed)

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

All I can say is, "You were doing it wrong."

:twisted:

Of course, I'm kidding. There are so many variables that go into what makes an amp work/not work for a guitarist in gigging situations: basic amp tone you're listening for/the tone you hear in your head; band configuration; stage dynamics; mixing desk/PA situation; playing style; etc. For whatever reason(s), the Pathfinder 15R didn't work for you as a gigging machine.

But it is indeed "gig worthy" for many. A biased statement, perhaps, since I am one of the many. But the owners club thread for Pathfinders here on TDPRI tell me it's true, that I am not alone in using my 15Rs for gigging. For solo performers, duos or small groups doing quiet, small coffee shop/restaurant gigs, the amp in and of itself can be enough. If you need more oomph, you can mic it, of course, but it's also very convenient and sounds good lined out from the rear panel to a mixer/PA. In that latter application, the 15R can be your onstage monitor.

14. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Its a simple mod. I literally just tore C20 out with some pliers because I was too lazy to unsolder it. If you don't want the tone to change as you change the master volume, I absolutely recommend it. There is already a bright cap on the "Gain" knob - which is part of the classic vox circuit, so the amp will not become suddenly too dark - especially with a telecaster!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, what I just said about playing style and the tone you hear in your head applies here as well, doesn't it?

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but then you asked me specifically, so...

I do play mostly clean. Although the VOX AC-ish tones of the 15R aren't pristine clean even when played clean, and I like that. I don't do heavy OD/distortion. When I rock out, it's Classic Rock. And yeah, I should define "classic" here, since for some that means Rock music recorded in the 1990s. I'm talking about the '60s and into the '70s. I even go back to some Rockabilly from the '50s.

So the Rock that I play generally is basically clean-ish, with just a hint of hair. At times I'll do an instrumental break in the middle of a song. What I like to do there is set the Pathfinder to clean-ish, right at the edge, then when I want a lead tone that's crunchier, I'll flip the switch on my teles up to the 4th position (two of the teles I gig with the most have a 4-way switch), and that both-pickups-in-series option gives the tone a bit of a volume boost and adds girth to the tone. With the amp set right at the edge of breakup, the series option then drives it a bit more and it breaks up a bit more. For what I play, that's all I ever need.

BTW, I don't think I've ever used the Pathfinder's Boost switch at a gig. I've experimented with it at home, but Boost engaged + Gain at 9 o'clock + Volume at 9 o'clock is the most I'll do. I have the accompanying footswitch, but just simply engaging or defeating the amp's Boost doesn't make it useable to me in a gigging situation, because of the disparity of the volume levels between Boost/non-Boost.

I'm not much of a blues player, but I play a bit of blues on occasion. Again, the Pathfinder's clean-ish tone/edge of breakup works for me. I also play a fair amount of Country, again, mostly classic, though some "New Country" as well (which for me means '80s & '90s). The Pathfinder's great for that. I even play some jazz (or what passes for jazz when I play it), and the 15R's warmth works well for what I do in this regard.

I hesitated to post a video of my playing, but this one video is not too far off of being representative of how I play through a Pathfinder. This video was occasioned by someone discussing the DiMarzio Twang King neck pickup. So in this video I'm intentionally playing exclusively on the neck pickup. Normally at gigs, I play mostly "middle" (both in parallel), and change the tele's switch only as needed for the song.

Here the guitar's Volume and Tone are dimed, and I'm plugged straight into the 15R, with Gain, 9 o'clock; Volume 10 o'clock; Treble, 11 o’clock; Bass, 1 o’clock; Tremelo Speed, 9 o’clock’ Tremolo Depth, 11 o’clock; Reverb, 2 o’clock. I recorded this using my iPhone set up across the room. (Those tone and effects settings on the Pathfinder are pretty typical for me, BTW.)

When I listen to/watch this video, I like the tone I'm hearing...but I cringe at my guitar-playing. :oops:

ataylor, nojazzhere, Zipslack and 3 others like this.
  16. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Nice playing Larry, Great tone too. You really are in the sweet spot of the amp there for sure.

It kind of reinforces my thoughts though, I am probably 20% crunchier as my base tone and I think it's just getting to the outside edge of the amps and speakers (nice) core tone. I guess having an AC30 and the Ac4c1-12 doesn't help the P15r much either. With both handling the crunch and drive better as it comes up due to the valves and probably better speakers etc.

I'm reluctant to sell it anyway as it really does have its own charm going on.

However, you've inspired me to have another jam today with it.

LGOberean and fuzz guy like this.
  17. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

I’ve had a few of them. Good for a backup amp, but not for that much. Vox needs to make them again but with improved reverb and include the footswitch.

klasaine likes this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

Psyched to try out Pathfinder #2 ( just got it Thurs.) tomorrow, at regular Sunday outdoor Cafe band gig ( R&R/blues/Dead trio)

Portable fun!

* edit all good today- Great Sound coming out of the little Pathfinder

This new one is a little brighter more high-end that my first one which has a different speaker but it sounds fantastic! they both do

whoever refers to this amp as a boxy little practice amp just doesn't know what they're talkin about, or just don't like what I am hearing
    Or maybe I'm just in the right band situation for this little guy

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    ataylor, nojazzhere, Mike_LA and 2 others like this.
  19. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

20. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Hummm, latest reverb search of sold units shows most went from $150 to $225. With a few fools paying over $300

black_doug likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.