VOX Pathfinder insanity

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mike_LA, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

Yeah, the Pathfinder isn't an AC30. It's solid state and reliable as can be. I still play the one I bought in 1998.

ataylor, nojazzhere and LGOberean like this.
  2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If I had one, I wouldn’t sell it for less - but that’s because I wouldn’t sell it ;). I would not expect anyone to pay that much, either, though. Really wish I had bought one new a few years ago. It sounded great in the store.

Martian, ataylor and nojazzhere like this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

What WildCard said.

I bought my first 15R used in a pawn shop for $40, in 2011. It was the black grill cloth/MiK version, so one of the earlier 15Rs. After that first Pathfinder, I found another one on eBay. It was $79 delivered to my door, a damaged box/open box kind of sale, but the amp inside was unscathed and perfect. Then in January of 2013, when VOX/Korg discontinued the Pathfinder 15R, I bought one more online (the only one I paid full price for, $119). Those two subsequent 15Rs were the brown grill cloth/Vietnamese versions.

So I've been playing through Pathfinder 15Rs for a decade, have gigged my teles exclusively through them for six years or so. The older Korean one stays in my man cave beside my desk, and I typically plug into in at night. During the day, I'll spread the love and plug into one of the Vietnamese iterations. The other Vietnamese one I save for gigs. Those two Vietnamese ones are completely reliable. All three still work flawlessly. None of them has ever been to an amp tech, and I've never done a thing to them, or needed to.

black_doug, ataylor and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Ok I'm going to have a go at mine.

That's the complete opposite of how I set a clean tone.

Clean Max Vol Min Gain
    OD Min Vol Max Gain

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a very similar story. Mine have been to hundreds of rehearsals and gigs and used daily for practice and never failed. I don't know what their street value is and it really doesn't matter to me. They fit my needs perfectly.

ataylor, LGOberean and nojazzhere like this.
  6. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

I see the price is now down to $450 and the seller is open to offers.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've mentioned (ad nauseam) the two I have to gig with....the one in a custom cab with one 12" speaker, and the one I built a cab for with four 8" speakers. I don't think I've mentioned a third, a PF 15, (no reverb) that I bought as a project. It's non-functioning, but "possibly" repairable. I think I need to dig it out of the closet and see if it can be salvaged. Worthwhile, maybe? ;)

LGOberean likes this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Got it.

I'm sure everyone has their fave way to set the controls.
    I know some run theirs at very low Gain, cranked Volume, and Boost ON.
    Whatever works!

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's remarkably loud for what it is. That's part of the problem for me. Not loud enough for any show or rehearsal I'd do. Too loud for home or the odd radio slot where we need to be REALLY quiet.

Pretty cool though in terms of sound and feel, if it slots into a useful volume for you.

elihu likes this.
  10. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

Why would I buy a "Pathfinder" at $500.00 when I could get an AC-10 for around the same price? No comparison in my opinion and you would have to be a "loon" to pay that much for a 'Pathfinder". I don't get it!

11. stomped box

stomped box Tele-Meister

This thread has definitively established that Pathfinders are NOT selling for $500, not anywhere near it. Good job, us.

Blackmore Fan, Mike_LA and Drew617 like this.
  12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have three combos and one chassis head built into a wooden case.

Never paid more than $119.

13. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I’ve got a P15R as well and while I wouldn’t be likely to buy one used for $500, I’m with several other owners who’ve weighed in — I’m not sure I’d sell mine for less, or at all for that matter.

That said, if Vox made a limited edition “reissue” P15R in fawn covering with some kind of cool speaker upgrade, I can’t say I wouldn’t be tempted to get my wallet out — even if the price were to approach $500.

nojazzhere and Blackmore Fan like this.
  14. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for posting. I will watch for that Hughes and Kettner Triplex.

15. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

I bought mine for $50 on CL many years back, maybe 10 years (jeez). Money very well spent, I practice on it pretty much everyday.

Great piece of gear and I’d sorely miss it if I didn’t have it, but I can’t see myself paying more than ~$100 for one.

nojazzhere, Mouth and Blackmore Fan like this.
  16. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

That my friend is the crux of the biscuit isn't it now? An awesome amp for $50 to $75. Anything else .... well it's just not worth it in today's market.

Jeru likes this.
  17. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Neither here nor there, well, maybe a little bit there but the Vox MV 50 series is pretty great and there's a ton of them out there. I got an MV 50 AC for $156.00 (delivered, including tax) recently and IMO it sounds really good. Yeah, I know it's super stripped down and not a combo but if it's cheap Vox flavor you're looking for, this has it.

Tim S likes this.
  18. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

the pathfinder 15r was an unbelievable value,

when new.....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    nojazzhere likes this.
  19. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

dupe post

20. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

The AC version of the MV50 is a stripped down head, like you said, but I got to test drive one in the store through the corresponding VOX 1x12" cab (BC112). I'm pretty much addicted to reverb and tremolo (blame my Pathfinders), so I had lower expectations of just the dry signal, no effects, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded.

Last month I bought an MV50 when they were on sale for $140, but I opted for the Boutique version. (Again, I've got Pathfinders, so for me the AC version would have been pretty redundant.) I haven't really put the Boutique through its paces yet, but what time I've spent with it thus far has been kinda cool.

But as I've said before, I'd be inclined to go with the Mini Superbeetle over the MV50 AC. The former is essentially the same as the latter, but with a better tone stack, built in 'verb and trem, with a 10" cab included.

nojazzhere and ataylor like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.