Vox Pathfinder head cabinet build w/ pics

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by WholeLottaGlove, Nov 26, 2012.

1. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Tele-Meister

Here are some pics of a head cabinet I built this weekend for the amplifier from my Vox Pathfinder 15 combo. The internal speaker of the combo blew and I bought a Vox NT112 cab w/ Greenback ($113 new on clearance at Best Buy!!). I figured I would take the opportunity and make a weekend project out of it.

I went to Home Depot and bought some 3/4" MDF for $12. They make the cuts for free to your specs. Picked up some wood screws, 3M Super 77, and Titebond, also. I picked up the "copper" covering from a local fabric store for $12, also. I had some black tolex and white piping left over from a prior project that I used for the face.

After stripping some tolex from the top of the combo, I removed the top piece. That is now the face plate. The cabinet itself was put together using wood screws and Titebond. I learned later that the Titebond itself holds really strong!! I know using wood screws is a bit crude, but it was a decision based on function. I only have a cheap jigsaw to use and limited time.

Once the cabinet was together, I applied the copper covering using the Super 77. Everything went pretty smooth, with the exception of one corner and the seam. The seam is lined up pretty well, but the covering has a white felt backing that is really visible and hard to hide.

I've yet to put the back on and mount the amp to the base. I'm hoping to get that done tonight. After that, I will tidy it up a bit.

Couple things I've learned as a noob:
    * Measure twice; cut once. Matter of fact, measure twice then measure twice more. Then cut (or have Home Depot cut).
    * Using a jigsaw for precise, straight cuts is a very tough job.
    * Wood screws, while functional, aren't pretty to look at and are slightly visible through the covering.
    * Did I mention measurements?

Here's my work so far. I'm calling her "Copperhead":
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Holic

Nice job!

3. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

That came out really well! I wanted to make a head out of mine but was worried about ruining it.

4. WholeLottaGlove

Thanks Andy! Yeah, I figured it was worth the risk. I guess I just wanted to complicate things even more after changing the pots out :lol:

5. WholeLottaGlove

I forgot to ask: Does anyone have advice on how to make the seam a little less noticeable? As I said, the felt back of the material is really hard to conceal. Any ideas?

6. Lindsay

Lindsay TDPRI Member

Lightly colour the joint with a brown coloured texta.

On future builds you can countersink the screws below the surface and fill the hole with a two part filler like plasti-bond, then sand flush.

Also apply a mist of black paint or again use a marking texta under any joins in the tolex as it stops the refection of light from the joint.

Regards

Lindsay

7. WholeLottaGlove

Thanks for the tips. Would there be a certain brand of texta I would use? I'm not familiar with that. Is it the same as a felt tip pen? I tried using a sharpie but it kind of raised the white backing out a bit.

8. Lindsay

Lindsay TDPRI Member

Sorry, Texta must be a brand name I grew up with, but it is just a felt tip pen. Try it on a bit of scrap first.

9. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Totally dig that. I love pathfinder extreme mods - you left lots of room for those big tubes LOL

10. WholeLottaGlove

The bigger cab is supposed to provide more headroom! :rimshot:

I kinda just went with the size of the top. I might use the extra space to mount a reverb pedal inside since this one doesn't have verb. I don't use a footswitch, so I was thinking of using that slot to control it. I gotta figure a way to do it. I'm looking at the Hermida Reverb to mount since it only has one knob.

11. Robster

Robster Tele-Afflicted

What did you do with the old Pathfinder cabinet?

12. Robster

Robster Tele-Afflicted

BTW, That looks good and makes sense having the knobs on the front instead of top!

13. WholeLottaGlove

I'm gonna trash it. It fell apart real easy. I liked the 8" speaker but I like the Greenback a lot more!!

14. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I'd love to hear it played. I own the stock Pathfinder.

Is there a handle coming in the future?

15. WholeLottaGlove

I just put it on. It was the last step. Tonight I had to make the line from the board to the jacks in back longer so they would reach. Also had to cut the back. It is now finished and sounds great!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.