1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox Pathfinder 15R "Cambridgitis" issue? Help!

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by rockntroll, Sep 22, 2019.

1. rockntroll

rockntroll TDPRI Member

After years of being a silent reader, i decided to create a tdpri account and be a part of the community. So, hello!

On with my issue.
    I have a Vox Pathfinder 15R (Korean model, V9168R) and love it very very much (both for tone and sentimental reason, it is my first ever amp).
    However, lately it's been developing an issue that, after a bit of researching, i think is what people call the 'cambridgitis'. Volume drop, goes into ugly fizzy sound very early, sustain cuts off, and crackling noises.

First of all, please keep in mind that i know nothing about electronics (and i mean, NOTHING). I found out that my issue is most likely caused by the tremolo pots. The speed pot doesn't have a start and end point, and it crackles a bit when i turn it.
    So my question is, can i completely cut off the tremolo circuit on the amp? If so, how do i do it?
    I never use the amp tremolo anyway as i got it covered from my ms50g so i feel like cutting it won't do any harm to my sound. Thanks in advance!

2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had the same amp, with the same problem. I did a lot of research, and at first came to the same conclusion as you. But it turned out to not be related to the tremolo. It was a bad volume pot. Replaced the pot ($5) and all was good. As a bonus, it turned out to be the occasion that prompted me to learn how to solder. It was very easy, and I’m glad I learned.

3. rockntroll

rockntroll TDPRI Member

For my case, i'm pretty sure it's the tremolo though. Cutting the tremolo of the amp will do no harm for me, since i never use it. And if the issue remains then i'll know that the problem lies elsewhere.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  4. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

There is a footswitch jack in the back of the amp that operates the boost and tremolo. Maybe using a footswitch to turn the tremolo off would mechanically solve the problem?

5. rockntroll

rockntroll TDPRI Member

Not sure about that. Besides, i don't have the footswitch, so if the options are either to try (and buy) a footswitch or just cut off the circuit, i'd choose the latter as it requires no money

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I dont know why I bought it ( a few years after getting the amp) but the dang footswitch ( heavy duty) is almost as big and heavy as my Pathfinder! Bought switch, never used it!
    No issues with my amp though, used it as my small.gig amp ( pretty cranked, OD pedal always ON, mainly for a Volume boost) for 5-6 years now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.