1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

vox pathfinder 15

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by waterlooteleman, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

BTW, I happened to have an old Marshall footswitch. I don't even remember where I got it. It's a 1-button switch, which is fine for me, because I only really want to switch the tremolo. I stick halfway into the footswitch jack, and it works great!

...Just an FYI if you have any such things sitting around.

NOW you tell me........ !!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

I hope you're right as I like the brown ones a lot more, and since I'm trying to get a new one...
    By the way, I've finally got an answer from a store.
    Lets see how it goes, but I just might get my hands on one sooner than I expected.

Lets us know how it goes the 12" cab, compared to the 10" speaker!
    Cheers
    A.

3. Al Nico

Al Nico Tele-Meister

4. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

I've just been informed by a seller in the UK that the 'brownish' grillcloth was the original one (as in old one). Now they're comming with black grillcloth.
    :neutral:

Of course I'm still getting mine...
    Cheers
    A.

5. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

At least some of the 1960's original brown cloth was manufactured in a factory about 300yds from my house. In a local working mens club the now unused PA speakers are covered in genuine vox cloth, applied at least 30yrs ago!
    Hows that for shopping local.

6. Al Nico

Al Nico Tele-Meister

That's strange, my old Pathfinder 15R, and all the Cambridge hybrids from the 1990s that I've seen, had black grillcloth. The current Pathfinder 10 and one of the DA5 options has the "new" brown grillcloth.

Oh well, I'll find out later today when it arrives.

Can't wait to plug her into my cabs, never should have sold my first one.

7. agony

agony Tele-Meister

My 2001 Pathfinder 15R (Korean) has the black cloth.
    My local dealer has a new 15R with brown cloth.

8. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

I'm still inclined to think that the new ones have the brown gc. In the rare chance that I actually see one of these in store, they've all had the brown gc. The only place I can go where P15s are always in stock is Sam Ash. Been seeing them there now for about 3 years now.

9. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

Yeah, I got mine at Sam Ash about 3 months ago and it has the brown grill cloth. I have a buddy who liked mine so much that he ordered one from Musician's Friend only about 2-3 weeks ago, and his had brown grill cloth also...

10. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

I hope you are all right on the colour issue.
    Maybe the seller knows nothing about what he was talking about...
    Still, I'm prepared for the black but hoping for the brown!

Anyway, I've ordered mine but I should have to way a bit longer than usual for its arrival because they were out of footswitches...

Soooo... how about it?
    Sounded as good as before?
    Black or brown by the way?

Cheers
    A.

11. Skrik

Skrik Tele-Holic

Mine has black. Sounds the same as brown, but I don't get the brown sound from it.

12. porkadon

porkadon Tele-Meister

I've been using two together for my main gigging amps for a few months now. With my new band, the other guitar player is using a Cyber-Twin, and I keep having to turn down! It's not really the volume, but the cut. With my Esquire my tone just cuts through the mix. I've had many guitar players scratching their heads in disbelief! Then, they ask where they can get one! I'm using the switch just for the trem. I leave the boost on. Just sounds better to me. Mistermullins is the resident expert. Listen to him, I did and haven't regretted it yet!

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  13. Al Nico

Al Nico Tele-Meister

It's brown! Sounds just as nice as my old MIK black one, and it's a lot louder than I remember. I've also realized it sounds better with the boost on(volume at about 12, gain to taste), and takes my current pedal setup well. A bit noisy when cranked, but this could definitely be used as a backup to my Hellhound head, run into my 2x12 and mic'd of course.

14. mistermullens

Mark, when I play my Esquire, I prefer it with the boost on as well, but when I play my '72 Custom, its always without the boost. I think I may have told you that already.

15. porkadon

porkadon Tele-Meister

Yes, you did. With my Esquire, I leave the boost on. But with Humbuckers, I leave it off. Since I mostly use my Esquires, it's on most of the time, although my main Esquire has the BG 1400, which technically is a Humbucker. I just can't say enough good things about these amps! :D

16. electricbody

electricbody Tele-Afflicted

You mean tone isn't in the grill cloth?

Pathfinders are great amps.

17. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

Oh yeah, it finally has arrived!!!

Looks great (with its brown cloth outfit ;) ), and it sounds just a little better then I expected.
    And I expected a LOT!
    The 'gain'+'volume' combo works great and makes it a fantastic practice amp.
    With the gain (and "turbo" ON) it can be very loud for such a little amp, and I havent had the time to plugg it to the Marshall cabinet right next to it...
    Oh, and loooove the tremolo. Its great!

Heres a pic with my two teles:
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    A.

Edit: Is there any percaution I should have before I plugg it into the Marshall Cab?

18. mistermullens

Awesome! I was going to ask how it sounded through that Marshall cab. Is your cab wired for 4 ohms? If so, it would probably be ok from time to time. Another amp expert will chime in I'm sure.

19. Al Nico

Al Nico Tele-Meister

Yup, tweaking volume and gain with the boost on gives you a nice range of rock tones. Also, try turning the treble and bass down to get a fatter punch.

20. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

Ive owned a PF15R for a couple of years now. Really tremendous sounding amp (epecially when you break the speaker in) Ive not played out or with a band with it but, I too find that I run my Teles through it with the boost on all the time.

My settings are G 11:00 V-As appropriate but usually around 12:00 for home T 2:00 B 10:00 R 11:00

This gives me a great range of tones and cleans up nice with the volume control.Very versatile with a couple of dirt pedals.I dragged the sucker out today as I read this thread and was curious as to what settings others were using. Ive been neglecting it as Ive been using my Blackheart Little giant A LOT. The Vox didnt dissapoint me BTW. Best SS pract amp out there bar none IMHO and you gotta love that trem
    Cheers
    Ian

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.