1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

vox pathfinder 15

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by waterlooteleman, Apr 29, 2009.

1. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I don't think either one is better for quiet practice - they are both good for that. I've had a Pathfinder for years and I had an AC4 for a couple of days before sending it back. You already know what the Pathfinder is like from this thread, and I can say that the AC4 is a very cool, good sounding, well-made amp. If you want an amp that can give you nice thick tones at low volumes, the AC4 will do nicely. I thought it sounded very good. It just wasn't very much different than amps I already have, and it didn't have much clean headroom, other wise I would have kept it.

2. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

That's a good video for sure. I've watched it a couple of times now. I sure would like to get my hands on one of those guitars too. Here's a video I did with mine. I installed a 10" speaker in mine.

3. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

Nice vid mistermullens (and nice colection of teles by the way)!

Just out of curiosity, did the 8" speaker gave you any problem?

4. mistermullens

The speaker is fine, I'm just not a fan of small speakers. For me, they just don't sound full enough. Great for some, just not for me.

5. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

I got a PF about 9 or so years ago and love it...for a while I used it insteade of other amps I had including tube amps.
    The older ones had neither Trem nor reverb but still sound great (and take pedals well too).
    I believe mine may have been made in Korea?
    iggy

6. drdos

drdos Tele-Meister

Man all this talk about the 15R made me decide to bring it to practice this past Friday. I was using a EmmaRezzafritz OD pedal and Fender Lone Star Strat...Man blew me away... The funny thing is the pedal cost about twice what the amp cost me.....:D

7. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Great little amps for sure. Had mine a couple of years and it (and my Champ 600) still gets more play time than my bigger tube Fenders. As many have said, it's a real decent amp irregardless of price and fact it's SS. I found a big improvement in tone after 20 or more hours of speaker break - in. Same with the one I got my grandson.

8. littlewing6283

littlewing6283 Tele-Meister

after all of the E-Peer pressure I have ordered one. I love my Marshall AVT20 to death but I cant lay it in my apartment. its way too loud. I dont even leave my Peavey Delta blues here.

9. littlewing6283

littlewing6283 Tele-Meister

i recieved it and so far its awesome.

anybody have any recommended settings ?

ive tried mistermullens settings and theyre great. just curious what everyone els eis getting

10. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

This is a bit frustrating...
    I've been trying to get my hands on one (Pathfinder 15R) for the last couple of weeks, yet out of 3/4 instrument stores nearby the place I live, only 1 has Vox amplifiers: just 2 or 3 models (and like 1 of each...)
    So I decide to check other EC countries web stores and start obviously by the UK.
    After a couple of places that either dont have the model or dont ship it overseas, I finaly get one that has it and mails it to my door.
    And since that first mail giving me 'thumbs up' like 2 weeks ago, they just stoped answering my emails (asking for a footswitch and others payment details...).
    :\

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying yours!
    Does the 'boost overdrive' sounds any closer to the youtube vid I posted in this post?
    Does it?
    :)

PS: By the way, did you guys bought yours 'in loco' or was it shipped to your place?
    I wonder if its safe (from an amplifier phisical point of view) to have it mailed home?
    Ultimatly they dont grow in the stores right, so they must have been shipped there too I supose...;)

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Yes! It sounds amazing. I use a 2 x 12 Carvin cab.

[​IMG]

Same great tone with more bass and more air moving. It's great.

John

12. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

It sure looks like it means business in the top of that cab!

Something thats has been puzzling me is the colour of that typical Vox 'diamond grill' cloth. In some pics it looks very dark (almost black), and in others it has that brown/redish look.
    Are there two different colours (perhaps from diferent years?), or is it just a light trick and they all have the same colour?

13. Highway_61

Highway_61 Tele-Meister

Music123 (I suppose, MF, too) has a blem Pathfinder 15R for 103.53

Attached Files:

14. Highway_61

Highway_61 Tele-Meister

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  15. Skrik

Skrik Tele-Holic

16. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Worth the difference. The reverb's not super amazing, but functional. The trem is actually very nice.

I've got 3 settings that I use most on mine. For each one, I just turn up the gain until it sounds full, and then bring up the master volume to where I want it. Sometimes I have to touch the gain again to even things out. It's a pretty easy amp to dial in by ear.

Voxest - bass and treble at about noon.

Fenderist - bass and treble dimed. Gotta turn down the bass if you're using the dirt or it gets really muddy.

Marshaliest - bass and treble on zero. It's still fairly bright, but the mids start cutting more. You can goose up either tone control if you feel like it's missing something.

17. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

Get the 15R definitely. You'll love the reverb and tremolo. And get the $25 footswitch - you won't regret it..

18. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

Footswitch works great. I use it for the tremolo tho --

19. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

BTW, I happened to have an old Marshall footswitch. I don't even remember where I got it. It's a 1-button switch, which is fine for me, because I only really want to switch the tremolo. I stick halfway into the footswitch jack, and it works great!

...Just an FYI if you have any such things sitting around.

20. mistermullens

I got mine off the Squier 51 forum. I think it was $110 shipped with the footswitch. Haven't looked back! They're are two different color grill cloths. One is black and the other is brown. I think all of the newer ones come with the brown which is my preference. I've only seen Pathfinders at two locations in Atlanta. One was Sam Ash and the other was a locally owned chain by the name of Ken Stanton Music. Otherwise, they are nowhere to be found.

I recently "rediscovered" an old cab with a 12" speaker in the attic. Even posted a thread about it. Its ugly as sin, but the speaker sounds great. Gonna try my Pathfinder through it in the next day or so. It will be interesting to hear the difference between that and the 10" speaker that's installed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.