Vox Pathfinder 15

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Twang Deluxe, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Hello everyone,

a few month ago I left my band and sold my DRRI, because since than I only play at home and the Deluxe was much too loud for my needs.

A few weeks ago I bought a Vox VT 20, but I never bonded with it

Yesterday I picked up a cheap Vox Parhfinder 15 (non Reverb) and I'm really impressed!!!

IMHO it is one of the best bedroom amps ever.

Now I'm thinking about also getting a Pathfinder 15R

Does anyone know if there is a sound difference between the Pathfinder 15 and the 15R (except the Reverb of course)?

Is the 15R noisier?

Thank you

havlma1, Chiogtr4x and nojazzhere like this.
  2. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I don't know the answer to your question, but am interested to find out, as the non-reverb models are a lot easier (and cheaper) to find than the reverb models. I have a 15R. Great little amp! Far better than any little "practice amp" has a right to be. There are conspiracy theories that Vox discontinued them because they were cutting into the sales of their bigger and more profitable amps.

wevard, Twang Deluxe and nojazzhere like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I currently own two PF15R's and have played a PF15......to my ears, there's not really any difference between them, except, of course, the reverb. Any two of the same amp can be slightly different, so there is that. Both of mine are modified, in the sense that one has been mounted in a custom cabinet with one 12" speaker (Eminence) and the other in a cab with four 8" speakers. (assorted) The stock 8" is fine for just home practice, but I gig with mine. 15 watts is adequate for what I want, but I want more "oomph!" from the bigger speakers.
    BTW.....several years ago I sold my 1967 PTP wired Deluxe Reverb, and that's one of the biggest mistakes I ever made.

djh22 and Twang Deluxe like this.
  4. nojazzhere

I have gigged with my PF15R with a 12" speaker, and it "hung" very well with another guitarist who used, at various times, an AC15 and an AC10.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  5. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I had one for a while, but I didn't get the same impression that everyone else seems to get out of these amps. I have the AC-15 which I love, but it's a lot more expensive than the $90.00 or so they were going for when the first came out.

Mad Kiwi, Twang Deluxe and nojazzhere like this.
  6. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

I had the 15R, wasn’t just the best SS amp I ever had, it was one of the best amps I’ve had. Regret selling it all the time. Mine was stock and was never noisy. Sure miss that thing.

jh

7. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

I bought a PF15R about 7 years ago before they were discontinued. I wish I had bought several because they're like hen's teeth these days. When they break in they sound fantastic for such a cheap, simple amplifier. The reverb is nice, too - not very deep but it's a real spring and it sounds good. And they're small and light and handsome.

Recently I bought a '65 PRRI with a 12" Jensen and I only mention it because it can be played around vol 3 or 4 and it's not too loud for home, even bedroom use. And the tone is great at those volumes. The Pathfinder doesn't get as loud as the Fender, obviously, but if you wants something with nice cleans at a reasonable level, you can easily dial it in with a PRRI. So I play my Princeton at the same volume I play my Vox, and the PRRI sounds much better. Maybe not 10 times better ($1000 vs $100 for the Pathfinder), but it is very obviously the superior amp.

djh22, nojazzhere and Twang Deluxe like this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I have never tried the Pathfinder w/o Reverb, but I LOVE my 15R. ( real spring Reverb located inside chassis), got it used $85,

I've used mine ( about 5 years) as my small room gig amp ( I'm the only guitar so no volume issues) and I actually goose the amp with an always ON Blues Driver as it basically doubles Pathfinder volume ( I don't use amp's Boost button) and adds a good grind OD. I just control everything with guitar Volume.

It gives me a Stones meets Crazy Horse kind of sound that really does have some Vox clean chime/ edge harmonics, so there is some noise- but that disappears when the band is all playing!
    Love this amp, a great tool for me- plus it looks like a baby VOX.

djh22, nojazzhere and Twang Deluxe like this.
  9. nojazzhere

Comparing a stock PF15R to your AC 15 is a little unfair. My PF15R in a one 12" cabinet is very good, and in a four 8" cab is stunning. As I mentioned, I played many gigs with another guitarist who used an AC15, and even he acknowledged how good the PF15R sounded.

10. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

It's just a little gem of an amp....

11. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

I have a 15R and a 15. They sound the same, as much as any two different amps can.
    I never use the reverb or tremolo but they do sound good for such a cheap amp.
    I also re-housed my PF15 in a 1 X 15 cabinet, so I guess it's a PF15-15.
    These amps are fantastic sounding little buggers, if I see another, I will buy it.

cheers, RM

bender66 and nojazzhere like this.
  12. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

I'd like to find a 15R .

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

I'd be lying if I didn't say a big part of the attraction of the PF15R for me is that it looks like a Vox!
    Owning one you kind of make that connection to the British Invasion ( my old fart era), or Brian May or U-2 just on the look.

But the sound is prettt good too!

Wish Vox would just reissue the dang thing!

nojazzhere and tery like this.
  14. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

AFAIK, the only electronic difference between the 15 and 15R is the reverb. With the reverb off, they should sound pretty much the same.

OTOH, a 15 with a reverb pedal in front of it is likely to sound a little different from a 15R, because the onboard reverb is smaller and weaker than a typical spring reverb tank. A good reverb pedal will give you a lot more variety - and a lot more reverb overall - than the 15R's onboard springs provide.

Don't get me wrong, I'll never part with my 15R, but a little reverb is all I want. I don't need it to sound like I'm playing on my surfboard from inside a wave.

15. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I have the 15 awesome, blue speaker is awesome. It may sound better than the 15r.

GuitarKid likes this.
  16. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

I have a 15R as my bedroom amp, and it's all kinds of groovy. I've never tried the 15, but my 15R isn't noisy. I haven't been able to get a good overdriven sound from it alone, but a pedal fixes that nicely. Although it's a bit absurd that I paid more for the pedal than the amp.

The Angle likes this.
  17. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I want a 15R too if you can find one! Not for sale very much around here. The word is out!

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Good luck finding the 15R. I have the 4x8 version and everyone who has played it has gone looking for a PF. Not many have ever found one that hadn't already been sold.
    A reissue of that model would certainly be welcome.

bender66, Twang Deluxe and nojazzhere like this.
  19. nojazzhere

My only concern regarding a "reissue" of some sort, would be that Vox would probably triple or quadruple the price. :(

20. Chiogtr4x

I'm leaving my Pathfinder alone, but an FYI for anyone:
    If you got to the Vox Amp Archives page and look up the Pathfinder 15R/ mods'
    it shows how you can add a larger Reverb pan to the amp ( mounted on amp bottom). I looked up the Reverb pan type and it is identical to the one used in my Blues Junior!

I basically have the Reverb control cranked on my PF all the time.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.