Vox or Marshall?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Radiohead625, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Radiohead625

Radiohead625 TDPRI Member

I didn't even think of a Tweed Deluxe. I know he used some small Gretsch and Supros on the album, Dean might have used on of those as well.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  2. Radiohead625

I'm thinking this might be the case. I've been searching for an amp that could do both, but I'm thinking that might not be possible. As for Vox amps, I've been between a Morgan and a 3rd Power to try and avoid the upkeep of having a vintage Vox. I might start there and maybe add one of these down the line:

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  3. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Nice sounding amp. Kind of Marshall and Vox mix. Alot of that sound is very likely in the speaker combo. One of these days I'm going to have to get a blue.

4. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Are you looking to chase the album sound for recording or the tone for jamming. P-90s into what looks like a Marshall cab, maybe it is a VHT, no pedals. Sounds like rock n roll.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  5. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a Vox sitting on top of a Marshall cab.

6. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I take that back , he's wireless and hits a pedal for the solo. Aren't there some dudes that get all into wireless rigs because they add treble boost or something?

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It also sounds like there's modulation of some sort on the rhythm sound. It's a completely different sound than on the album, but it's a great tone.

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

interesting ....
    My JCM 800 has a different sound than the orange did , maybe you are correct with the soldano co-relation ( I just returned the orange to the customer today so its fresh in my mind ) brilliant cleans and and kicker grunge at 120 watts ( loud)

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ this ^^^ is pretty much what I was going to say... the same applies to "Seven Caged Tigers", although the right side of the latter is very thin.
    The other two songs I don't hear anything that can't be done using any amp.

10. Radiohead625

So both Coxon and Deleo's live rigs are very well documented. Deleo uses 90s Voxes with VHT Demeter and Coxon Marshall SLPs. I'm looking to get do a lot more recording than playing out these days so as much of a fools errand as it sounds, I'm looking to get closer to the recordings.

I realize Dean states that he plays with a ton of amps including a few vintage Voxes for the Purple and Tiny Music sessions, but I'm trying to stay away from choking a vintage Vox AC30 down with an attenuator for multiple reasons. Most of which is because I haven't heard an AC sound great with an attenuator and I feel like it would be harsh on the amp. I'm also not sure if I'm hearing Vox or Marshall on a lot of these records. Coxon definitely has some very Voxy sounds even though he's known for playing Marshalls and Dean plays both. My hope was to try and narrow down some amps that could get me in the range of both their tone, but it seems like I might need both. Right now, I guess I'm more looking for that chime, shimmer, and compression these songs have, but at a manageable recording volume.

11. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Nice, that ought too be fantastic with your semi's ! Mine showed up in black..the Jensen really moved the mid's PV Blues.jpg PV Blues 3.jpg

blowtorch likes this.
  12. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

A Vox can cover a lot of ground. The normal channel at full whack (channel volume and master) can easily rock like a Marshall.

13. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

here’s an excerpt from DeLeo’s Guitar Player interview regarding his studio rig:
    “When I go into the studio, I bring everything. I have a Vox AC10, an AC15, and a couple of AC30s that I always take. From ’66 to ’68, Marshall had these little 18- and 20-watt plexi combos that are really good sounding. And, of course, I also have a Sovtek Mig 60 head that I’ve been using a lot, too.”

so, it’s probably a combination of a Vox and an 18/20 watt Marshall for the types of tones you’re looking for. Is the British Dream similar to that maybe?

I’ve always considered DeLeo one of my tonal benchmarks. Love his tone.

14. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Vox. Love that "chime".

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The SoloDallas Schaffer Replica and Storm pedals are recreations of the preamp section of a wireless circuit that Angus used back in the day, with just that thought in mind.

I have the Storm and it's definitely very cool

Telecasterless likes this.
  16. Radiohead625

I don't know a lot about the British Dream, I've just heard clips and haven't been able to play one. They sound fantastic on youtube, but it might be overpowered since it says it goes to 50 watts. That's way too much for me. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet on a Morgan and then pair it with a low watt Marshall down the line.

naveed211 likes this.
  17. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Collect them all...trade with your friends!

Radiohead625 likes this.
  18. Radiohead625

It's like Pogs for adults, just more expensive lol

stormsedge likes this.
  19. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

Have seen STP live in Miami several years ago. If I remember it correctly, Dean was playing through both an AC30 and a Marshall. I would suggest that unless you need the power and sheer volume of a cranked AC30, try an AC10. I use an AC10 and occasionally run a Wampler Tumnus in front.(Dean used AC10's in the studio). This gets me the vintage "kerang" of the Vox and brings you a bit into "midrangy" hot-rodded Marshall territory when boosted. Let us know what you choose.

20. Radiohead625

How different do the AC10s sound compared to an AC30. I had a Vox AC15 and it didn't really give that "kerang" that you're taking about. I mean, I guess a little, but no where near like Lady Picture Show.. It was more harsh and in your face... less squishy if that makes sense.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.