Vox or Marshall?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Radiohead625, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Radiohead625

Radiohead625 TDPRI Member

I'm trying to decide what amp I should actually be going for and I'm confused if it should be a Marshall, Vox, or a combination of both. I really like chime and compression and I'm trying to get something that will cover the tones in following songs:

As you can tell, I'm a huge Deleo and Coxon fan. I know Coxon supposedly uses a Marshall, but some of his tones sound very Voxy to me. Deleo uses Voxes and well, a bunch of amps actually. I drool over the tones on Lady Picture Show as they're pretty much ideal for me. Is there an amp that can cover all these tones without going for a vintage AC30? Here's a few I've been looking at:

Morgan Dual 20
    Retro-King 18 watt
    3rd Power British Dream
    65 Amps London
    Top Hat Club Royale

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Man i have some amps...in that tone..Peavey Classic Blues i can get it..Marshall fanatic but i dig vox edge of breakup & have the PV with Jensen c15 in it..just takes me to everywhere i ever wanted to go..has a marshall mid with vox tone but can go big american clean or great big crunch also..the pre & post with MV offer up so many headroom & gain ...how to hit the amp options..MY Lp's are excellent into it & tele's..they made em for 2 years

3. Radiohead625

I used to own a Classic Blues. It's a great little amp, but I never really heard these tone from it... especially the compression and chime on Lady Picture Show.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I was able to emulate the tone of one of the rhythm guitars in lady picture show, using a rather clean Vox AC30 VST plugin, with a TON of compression in front of it.

5. bftfender

the 4 el84 50 watter w 15" speaker?

6. Radiohead625

Oh, nope, you're right. It was the delta blues.

7. bftfender

way opposite amp to delta , This gets like a cross between Marshall & Vox. Pedals can add whatever extra flavor cause ability to set it so many ways. Have been pleasantly surprised. Have 9 M's and play this thing all the time..just found that rock tone..almost in the range you were asking about..

Radiohead625 likes this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It sounds to me like Vox through pedal but on studio albums it's hard to know. Could be clean vox with something applied later.

9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

What a fella may play on tour and what he may have access to in the recording studio may well be different.
    Any liner notes on a cd or do they not make cds anymore?

10. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Vox AC30/TBX and 2 x 4 x 12 Marshall cabinets. Demeter TGA 3 preamp.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got that one. Awesome amp
    [​IMG]

bftfender likes this.
  12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I recently did some work on an orange 120 overdrive , killer clean and distortion

13. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I listened to tender by Blur and it seemed like you could coax out a similar tome from most decent tube amps. If I was tasked with trying to get a similar tone Seven Caged Tigers, I would go with a Tweed Deluxe 5E3 type amp. It's always tough to go after a tone from an album because there's some going on in production that may be a wild goose chase. Best of luck!

Radiohead625 likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I think some of it is the settings, pickups and playing style.
    I have three voxy amps and no interest in making that particular sound, so it's hard for me to say what you need.
    The closest to that sound potential I have is a Dr Z Stang Ray that's the clean AC30 style amp built for Brad Paisley, and it sounds kinda like that I think, but a sound I don't know how to use is hard to translate if that makes sense.
    I also have an Orange AD30 that's more of a gritty middy dirt amp.
    And an oddball Hawkins amp that's a Tiny Terror preamp into an AC30 power section with an actual AC30 OT, where Orange and Dr Z both use a different OT for their AC30 based amps.
    If you were located a little closer you could try my Stang Ray, that amp might do what you want and is in the high end quality camp you list. Discontinued and hard to find used.
    Dr Z makes and has made all sorts of AC30 inspired amps though, keep an eye out for used Z's locally.
    Most of the time he changes them into higer gain or more distorted amps though, and the Stang Ray is the closest to the chime and kerrang end of AC30 sound.
    For whatever reason I don't relate to the word chime as much as kerrang when describing that edge of distortion Vox thing.
    Chime sounds so polite, where kerrang sounds more take your head off.
    I know chime is the accepted Voxy tone word, so who am I to nit pick stuff I don't even understand???

I mostly play 18w Marshalls, whole 'nother cathode biased el84 sound.
    Maybe in between classic 50/100 Marshall and Vox.

Radiohead625 likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I like Orange amps a lot but my sense is that they push way over toward Marshall and maybe even Soldano modern sound, not really Voxy. Maybe Orange some models are indeed Voxy?

24 track likes this.
  16. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I'm not a huge STP expert, but I've always thought that album was an interesting departure from their earlier work and I hear some Beatles influence in it. Good choice.

As far as sound goes, I find it sounds like "guitar". Like you could take pretty much any set up, add some overdrive, tweak the knobs and get close. Admittedly, there is some jangle in there perhaps, but a lot of their sound to me is Weiland and production and that thing that made STP good, talent.

Maybe what you need is this setup. It's called "both" and it allows you to get variety.

IMG_3850.JPG

17. 3-Chord-Genius

One main ingredient in STP that I don't think anybody mentioned is that the guitarist always uses single coil guitars.

Radiohead625 likes this.
  18. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

In Lady Picture Show, the first guitar on the right sounds like a Vox to me. The second guitar on the left could be covered with lots of amps including Vox and Marshall.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

That's what I was thinking. And the Vox amp sounds like it has a huge amount of compression going into it, but it is still a fairly clean sound.

Radiohead625 likes this.
  20. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I believe Deleo used to use a VHT of some sort. I always thought it was a Pittbull but that was many years ago but I always thought he had great tones either way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.