1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

From what I remember of that vid, Lee Anderton first said the he was "led to believe" that the MSB25 wasn't based on MV50 AC, then later said he believed it was. That video is 24:17 minutes long, so I haven't re-watched it to reply here. I'm just going from memory. The Mini Super Beetle sure sounds AC-ish; it has that classic crunch and chime.

But there is I believe a more reliable source for saying the MSB25 is a MV50 AC with added features. In a video for evanstadmusikk, Corey Witt, the Product Marketing Manager from Korg representing Vox at Summer NAMM, said "It's built off of our MV50 platform, the AC version..." I guess it's possible that Corey misspoke, after a long day of doing video reviews. But I'm inclined to believe that he had his wits about him and knew what he was talking about there. The quote is at about 33 seconds in.

2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was based on the AC model, although the vids I’ve watched so far seemed to exhibit lower gain than my AC (not nearly as clean as my Clean though). Could be my imagination of course - vids don’t really give you the whole story. Either way, it sounds pretty nice.

LGOberean likes this.
  3. LGOberean

As you said, vids don't give the whole story. There are any number of factors that could make the head of the MSB25 in those videos sound different than your MV50 AC sounds to you in your own space. I own Vox Pathfinder 15Rs, and I've recorded in the past with an AC15, but I don't own a Vox AC amp, or the AC version of the MV50. So when it comes to describing the head of the Mini Super Beetle, I won't try to claim my experience is anything to go by. I'll just quote the Korg/Vox guys.

Corey Witt, the Product Marketing Manager from Korg, was at Summer NAMM 2018, representing Vox, doing tons of video interviews/reviews/releases for the products Vox was unveiling. In that context he repeatedly stated that the Mini Super Beetle head was “based off the MV50 platform.”

On the Vox Amps web page for the Mini Super Beetle, it is described as having “Traditional VOX AC tones, powered by Nutube…The Nutube is used in the VOX MINI SUPERBEETLE, faithfully reproducing the tonal character of VOX’s legendary AC30.”

4. luckett

luckett Banned

It could be that the MSB is a top boost and the MV is a normal channel. Usually when you see the treble and bass knobs on a Vox it's a top boost circuit and the MV only has the single tone knob.

5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Interesting point quickly made in the Anderton's video is that the nutube is a tube and needs (wants/likes?) to be pushed to sound good and if - like me - you're a quiet player then the Vox Adio sounds much better.

6. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Not sure why I didn’t notice right away, but the Mini Super Beetle has separate bass and treble like a Clean. So it’s certainly not just an AC with reverb and trem. It at least has an more complete tone stack, which often reduces gain in an amp.

Durberville likes this.
  7. LGOberean

I think all the information available to us paints a pretty clear picture. According to Vox, the Mini Super Beetle head was “based off the MV50 platform,” and they claim it delivers “traditional Vox AC tones” and “faithfully reproduces the tonal character of the AC30.” So to me the most logical candidate from the “MV50 platform” used for this MSB25 head would be the AC version.

But obviously it is more. As you observed, in addition to Gain and Volume controls, it has a more complete tone stack, the Bass and Treble controls. And the added digital reverb and NuTube driven tremolo. The top control panel to me is very reminiscent of the Pathfinder 15R, which is a good thing, AFAIC.

For my part, I’m looking at the Mini Super Beetle less as a glorified MV50 AC and more as a redesigned/beefier Pathfinder 15R. I know what it is to gig with Pathfinders. With more wattage output (25 with 50 capability) and a larger speaker, this should give me a gig-worthy rig, not to mention lots of fun at home. I’ll want to test drive it to be sure, but yeah, the GAS level for me is really up there on this one.

losrogers and infiniteposse like this.
  8. LGOberean

As I was surfing around TDPRI, I noticed those ads that pop up to the right of the screen. One was for GC, and it had a Vox MV50 for $219.99. So I went to GC's site, and sure enough, all 5 of the MV50 models is now selling for $220. So I went and checked Sweetwater, and same deal: all 5 models are now $220. I guess this post is part information, part lamentation. :(

9. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Is that up or down from the previous price? I presume that doesn’t include the little cab? (I only know what they cost in my local currency)

10. LGOberean

It's up, by US $20. It was previously US $200 (well, technically US $199.99, I just rounded up the penny), which, according to an online currency converter, is equal to NZ $293.65. Now the price has gone up to US $219.99 (or again, US $220), which is equal to $323.02 in New Zealand dollars.

The jump up at this time is not too surprising, since the first three models (AC, Clean, Rock) have been on the market for a year and a half. But the Boutique and High Gain versions were just released six months ago, at Winter NAMM. And yet now all five models have undergone a price hike.

And no, the prices just quoted do not include a cab, that's just the price for the various mini Vox amp heads.

con brio likes this.
  11. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Thanks; I guess I’m joining you in the lamentation then

LGOberean likes this.
  12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Easy for me to say, since I already have a Clean (I paid $200) and an AC (I paid $150), but they are still worth the money even at $220.

Great sounding amps in a ridiculously small package for modest money.

I am probably good for now with these amps, but I would be interested in an MV50 head that had the Mini Super Beetle features plus an effects loop in a "traditional" MV50-ish format.

Durberville likes this.
  13. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

I have the AC model and find it reacts quite a bit to the pickups and guitar control knobs, especially when playing a single coil vs. hb guitar. I play through a LG 4x12, 8 ohm cab at home and it has plenty of volume for a tiny guy. The Mini would be a nice change as I am running out of room and can downsize my cab.

14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Without a doubt. My AC loves my Tele for example. It has to be set a bit lower on the gain with P90’s or buckers to avoid loss of definition and chime. And yes, the guitar volume pot can help too.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  15. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

@LGOberean thanks for the prompt: I went a checked the local vox dealer and they had them listed for NZD50 less than they were so I snapped up the Clean model.

Durberville and LGOberean like this.
  16. LGOberean

Wow! Congrats! After reading the news of your good fortune, I checked the online retailers (Sweetwater, Guitar Center/MF, Sam Ash) again. The various models in the MV50 line are still priced as I reported it yesterday: US $220. I'll admit that I haven't checked my local GC, but every time I've been in there lately, they haven't had them. So it sounds like you found them in stock where price hikes had yet to go in effect.

17. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never seen an MV50 at my love cal GC, although they tell me they had some when they first came out. But no replenishments once they sold.

I have seen them at my local Sam Ash though. And they didn’t reflect the $149 price when the rebate was happening. So maybe they also won’t reflect the $20 price increase ???

18. LGOberean

Uh, oh. "...at my love cal GC..." Something tells me this is the work of spellcheck/auto-correct... :lol:

Interesting. I was told the very same story by the GC guys down here: they had some at first, they sold out, they haven't been replenished since then. They also add "But you can order one."

19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

So correct - auto-corrupt in action :)

20. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

I’ve only had a little time to experiment with the MV50 Clean but I’m really happy this far. It’s exactly the right sort of clean tone for my homemade 2x10 fender voiced cab (solid pine box, open back, Weber 10F150 and 10F150-T speakers). The attenuators is as useful as I had hoped. 0.25 Watts is quite a compromise, but it’s great being able to play at realistic living room levels. Even with the super low wattage it’s got heaps of headroom. This amp sounds really great with a bit of vibe (EQD Depths)

Durberville likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.