1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I've used padded camera cases for things like that.

sliberty likes this.
  2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

The backpack idea makes a lot of sense, and depending on what else you carry in your backpack, there could be plenty of room for such a small amp. Unfortunately, I carry all of my worldly belongings in my backpack :) Maybe that is what I have to address - carrying fewer items with me. Or maybe switching to a larger bag of some sort.

I tried the MV50 and its power accessories in my Pedaltrain Nano bag (without the Nano) and I suppose that is an option too (if I am not bringing the Nano with me). Amazon has a pedalboard and bag similar in size to the Nano for under $40. I could get that and give away the board :)

3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Interesting idea. I'll have to look around at whats available on Amazon.

4. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

A backpack can be a great idea - as long as you actually plan to carry it on your back. In other situations they just sorta work as awkward bags.

5. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I tried the amp in my son's camera bag, and it looks to be a great solution. So I went to Amazon, and I found a camera bag for $9 that is just slightly larger than my son's. Thanks very much for the great idea.

And I still have to revisit my backpack and try to lighten the load a bit.

LGOberean likes this.
  6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

LGOberean likes this.
  7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Glad you found something that works for you. That camera bag was a great idea.

As for lightening the load in the backpack, I had to come to that myself a few years back. I used to carry way more than I needed in my gig bag. So years ago I got a Nike duffel bag and put all my extra mics in it, along with the corresponding cables. It also had an extension cord, speaker cables, tools, ABY box, etc. Now all I carry in my gig bag is enough for me and one other. The duffel can stay in my SUV; I don't bring it in unless I need something.

8. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Has anyone found a reasonably priced ac adapter that works properly with the MV50? I'd like to have a spare.

Durberville likes this.
  9. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I've heard laptop adapters work

10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I see a bunch of laptop adapters that have the right voltage a current specs. I am not really sure what the barrel plug we need is called (ie: the inside diameter, outside diameter, etc.), but most of the laptop ac adapters clearly don't have the right plug. I would be fine with soldering on a new plug if I know what to buy :)

Is there any reason to think that noise could be an issue with a non-Korg adapter?

Durberville likes this.
  11. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Maybe worth contacting korg in Milton Keynes and ask about price for a spare

12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Korg gave me part numbers only, and directed me back to dealers. I Googled the part number, and found that the AC adapter without the power cord was $40 at one place, but out of stock. The rest all said not available.

I might try one of the Amazon options that comes with a bunch of plugs, and hope for the best. I guess I can return it if I have to.

13. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

As far as psu go , they look pretty sturdy to me unlike the one I've got for my Mackie mixer , and I've emailed countless times without reply.
    I'll speak to some friends of mine who work for korg, see what they say.

14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

15. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I ordered some 6.5mm x 4.3mm center pin plugs from China. Not sure if they are correct, but very cheap so I took a chance. It’ll be a few weeks before they arrive. I’ll eventually report back.

Durberville likes this.
  16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I also checked with Vox, but they didn't answer my question about the plug size. Instead they told me the part numbers of the Korg power supply and power cable and directed me to order through "my dealer".
    :)

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Okay, a couple of days ago, June 28, on the first day of Summer NAMM 2018, Vox unveiled a couple of new amps. One was a single 12" AC30 (the AC30S1), the other should be talked about here: the Vox MSB25, or Mini Super Beetle. First of all, here are some pics, 'cuz it did happen :twisted: ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I included the first two pics because they help give a perspective on the size of the amp. In the first pic it's standing beside the AC30 1x12", in the second it's standing beside a guy sitting on a bar stool, showing that the amp is about as tall as the stool. According to the specs on the Vox Amps page, the amp is about 2' high by 1' wide by 7" deep.

BTW, I'm posting about this Mini Super Beetle in this thread because, in the words of Corey Witt, Product Marketing Manager from Korg representing Vox at Summer NAMM, "It's built off of our MV50 platform." So the head of the mini stack is essentially the MV50 AC, minus the VU meter, with (digital) reverb and NuTube driven tremolo added. It's like Vox has been reading my TDPRI comments about what I'd like in an MV50! :p

I have my Pathfinder 15Rs, and I love having verb & trem onboard. The MSB25 will be a 25 watt output rig (8 ohm, single 10" Celestion loaded into that open-backed cab), but running it with a 4 ohm load will yield the full 50, same arrangement as the MV50s running into Vox' Black Cabs, which are 8 ohms. Another cool bonus for me is I can use the cab portion of the MSB25 with my 15Rs.

Here are some videos. The first two are short clips, really: starting @ :34 in the Reverb.com vid, you get just about 35 seconds of playing through the MSB25. Premier Guitar's video is about both the MSB25 and the AC30S1, so the playing clip for this vid is really short, starting @ 3:33, just about 15 seconds of playing vs. talking. But hey, at this early point in the game, every little bit helps.

[/QUOTE]

In Music Radar's report, they include a longer video (11:22 min.) which is quite helpful. Here's the link to that....https://www.musicradar.com/news/sum...-beatles-era-amps-with-mini-superbeetle-stack

The best video review so far is by Anderton's with Lee & Pete...

Durberville likes this.
  18. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

So need to try one out

LGOberean likes this.
  19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

The second speaker jack is a nice touch. Since the Std cabinet is 8 ohms, using two of them gets you to 4 ohms, and therefore 50 watts.

20. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Anderton’s video claims it is “revoiced”, and not just the MV50 AC with reverb and trem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.