1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

The line out is useable but to my ears dent sound great , but the amp itself more than makes up for it.

2. rosietele

rosietele TDPRI Member

You should be able to wire up one of the speakers in your existing combos to an auxiliary jack that will allow you to run it as a stand-alone cab hooked up to the MV50. Just match the impedance. Obviously would be a bad idea to have the MV50 and the amp in the combo both running to the same speaker at the same time.

Also if you have a 2x12 with 2 8ohm speakers, if you run those in parallel you'll get a 4ohm load.

SolidSteak and Durberville like this.
  3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

So we had this outdoor jam/gig thing today. I played my Epiphone 56 LP Std Pro into my small pedalboard consisting of a tuner, a compressor, 3 drive pedals (1 set to clean boost), a delay and a reverb. I was alternating between the Mosky MM Silver (Timmy) and the Mooer Blues Crab (Bluesbreaker) for drive into my MV50 Clean feeding my closed back 1x12 loaded with a 4 ohm Texas Heat. The band included 2 drummers, a bass player, and a total of 4 guitar players. Nothing was miked except the kick drums (and vocals of course). With all that going on, I found my self running the MV50 at about 1-2 o'clock, and it sounded great. Articulate and really big sounding. It almost had multi-speaker style thump when I pushed the bass to 2 o'clock. It took my drive pedals very well, along with the compressor, delay and reverb. There was even a little room to spare volume wise, but not all that much. If we were miking up, this setup would have been more than loud enough. Without miking up, it was still loud enough, but probably near the limit of what the amp can provide thru a 1x12.

I liked the way the Clean was performing, so this time around, I never did switch to the AC to try it out. But maybe next time out I will give it some play time.

Very pleased with these little amps. I can't believe I just played out with an amp that fit in my backpack and only weighs a little over 1lb.

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I've said several times in this (and other MV50 related threads) that the cabinet thing is what's holding me back. All my amps are (and always have been) combos, so even as inexpensive as the MV50 is, for me that's not the only cost.

But what adds to the difficulty is I've been wanting to find a cab solution that is: as relatively inexpensive as the MV50 is; lets me achieve the full 50 watts; plus is also relatively light and portable. I haven't really found a solution to that trifecta of factors.

But lately, I'm thinking that maybe I'm over-thinking this. (Wouldn't be the first time.) I've been following this thread since day one (the first reply, #2 in this thread, was mine), and I've read (and in many cases re-read) every posted reply. I've asked many questions, and in response to my queries about the "full 50 factor," Durberville and several others (thanks, guys) have replied that it's plenty loud at 25 watts (going into a cab with an 8 ohm load).

So this got me to wondering: is anyone just using the MV50 into the Vox BC108 cab?

zanerd and PhredE like this.
  5. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I'm using the vox bc112 and I couldn't be happier with it,
    I used it on Saturday night at a medium to large club and it just sounded huge , the spread of sound was so even . I would really recommend that cab , as for the smaller one, I've never tried it but can't see that putting out as much bass even with the deep switch on.

6. LGOberean

I'd like a Vox BC112 cab, but it has always been harder to find, or at least harder to find for as long as I've been looking. Neither Sweetwater, GC nor MF carry them now. I've never found one locally (nor any of the MV50s, for that matter). They do carry the newer BC112-150, but that bumps up the price a C note, and weighs a few pounds more.

You talk about the sound spread being even. I wonder if that's because of open back construction. I'm looking at another cab possibility, but it's a closed back cab, and I'm wondering if that would be too "beamy"/directional from the standpoint of sound dispersion.

Durberville likes this.
  7. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I did use a closed back cab which was good but nothing as good as this , it's a mixture of closed and open backed if you know what I mean .

8. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

My experience yesterday was with a closed back cabinet, and although I can't speak for how it was out front, it sounded great on stage.

A cheap light solution...this sounds like my other cab. Let me explain. A while back, I needed a shop speaker - something I could use when repairing or building an amp in my garage. I went to the local music shop (a mom and pop) and they happened to have a Marshall 1x12 combo cab that was totally empty. No chassis, and no speaker, and in fact, the back panel was missing too. I bought it for $25, and threw "whatever" into it as it was going under the workbench. But now, I've put the Celestion that came out of my closed back cabinet into the combo cab, I've closed up the front where the chassis was, and added a back panel, and so it is effectively a semi open back extension cab. The Celestion is 8 ohms. Its much lighter than my closed back, and very inexpensive. And it sounds good (but I prefer the closed back thump).

So the moral of the story you should go looking for an empty combo cab, and adapt it for your needs. They can be had pretty cheaply.

Durberville likes this.
  9. LGOberean

I go back and forth on the cab thing. I feel like Tevye the Milkman facing a difficult decision ("problems that would cross a rabbi's eyes")...

"On the one hand, the 108 would be the cheapest rig to start."

"On the other hand, the 112 would have more 'thump' and might disperse sound better to a larger audience."

"But on the other hand, the 108 is enough for home, recording and small venues, which I do play."

"But OTOH..."

Ya da dee da dah! Ya dee da dah. Ya dee da da dah...!

Durberville likes this.
  10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

You know what they say....measure twice, cut once.

Translated....don't buy the 8" cab because it will be "enough".... cause you'll end up buying a different cab later when you realize it is not "enough".

Vognell and Durberville like this.
  11. LGOberean

Along that line, one thing I’ve seriously considered is getting both the 1x8" and the 1x12". Just not at the same time.

I think I could work with the Vox MV50 AC through the BC108. There are quiet gigs/small venues I play where I use one of my Vox Pathfinder 15Rs. Small footprint amp, 8" speaker, 15 watts. So I’m sure the MV50 through the BC108 would be gigable to me in some applications. And the package deal on the Vox MV50 AC + the BC108 for $300 or less is certainly a reasonable price.

But I would want to hear it through the 1x12". And I would want to be able to get the full 50 out of the amp if needed, and the two cabs in parallel would give me that. Furthermore, I have wanted for some time to run my Pathfinder 15R through a 1x12" cab, so getting one would do double duty. And getting the second cab some months later splits up the expense.

So besides the stuff of life** getting in the way of satisfying perfectly good GAS, what’s holding me back? To me, the appeal of the MV50 is threefold. (1) I want to try out this NuTube technology. (2) It’s portable. (3) It’s affordable.

The approach I outlined above, buying the MV50 and both cabs, somewhat diminishes the latter two aspects of its appeal. Having to schlep two cabs to a gig just to get the full 50 out of the rig would make for more trips, and it wouldn’t be quite the lightweight, portable rig I was hoping for. And the amp and two cabs would set me back $600 or thereabouts, so not quite the pull-the-trigger-on-a-whim affordability I was hoping for.

But still, neither an unreasonable cost nor too unwieldy a rig. It just doesn’t have quite the appeal it had initially. I’m still keen to try out this technology. Like I said before, maybe I’m over-thinking this, and now suffering from the paralysis of analysis. :oops:

** Tires for one car, repairing the damage a literal "deer in headlights" caused on the other car, etc.

Durberville and black_doug like this.
  12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Everyone is going to have different criteria for what makes sense. For me, I already had the cabinets, but I had only 16 and 8 ohm speakers. So what I did was buy a 4 ohm speaker (Emi Texas Heat), which allows me to get the full power of the amp. Personally, I'd rather have a 1x12 that I always use, and I wouldn't bother with an alternate 1x8. The added value (to me) of having the smaller cab is offset by the (anticipated) loss in tone and the cost of buying the second cabinet.

Durberville likes this.
  13. LGOberean

Yeah, I hear ya. As I said, "I think I could work with the Vox MV50 AC through the BC108." But while I'd probably be able to make a small speaker cab work, I'd prefer just a 1x12" cab that could do the trick. But I haven't found a 1x12" extension cab with a 4 ohm, 50 watts or greater rated speaker. And I have neither the tools nor the skills to build my own. I've also toyed with the idea of having a cab made, but that doesn't seem like it would be a cost effective approach.

14. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't think the speaker has to be rated at 50 watts. I had a 50 watt Marshall combo. The speaker was a Celestion V30, a 30 watt. Someone may know better.

15. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

A Vintage 30 is a 60 watt speaker

black_doug likes this.
  16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Have any of you MV50 owners purchased anything convenient to carry the amp and AC adapter/cable? I know its small, and could fit in anything, but I am looking for something that will not result in the amp sloshing around inside of my crowded backpack. Links to places to buy something you like for this purpose would be appreciated.

Durberville likes this.
  17. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I put the amp , speaker lead and power supply in the back of the bc112 cabinet and then put a cover on it, saves quite a bit of space.

18. fitflatpicker

fitflatpicker TDPRI Member

I have the clean and the AC mounted to a Pedaltrain Nano. The two power supplies are velcroed side by side between the rails and fit perfectly.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...14-inch-by-5.5-inch-pedalboard-with-soft-case

Durberville likes this.
  19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the replies. I sometimes use a closed back cabinet, and I’m trying to avoid the pedalboard approach. I’m more interested in a carrying bag/case sort of solution.

Let me know what other ideas people have had.

20. LGOberean

Well, again I have to preface my comments with the caveat "I don't own one yet." That said, my thoughts on carrying an MV50 to gigs was to simply toss it and its power supply into my gig bag.

My gig bag is actually a backpack that has two large compartments and two smaller ones, plus side pockets. It has ample room for a power strip, instrument cables, mic cables, several mics, strings & string changing accessories, headstock tuner, capo, batteries, etc. At times when I've gigged using my LiveWire Solutions ABY box, I just toss that in, plenty of room. The MV50 isn't much bigger than that ABY box, so I wasn't planning on any additional case to carry the amp in. I wasn't worried about it not being protected in there.

Of course, that's just me. Do what you want. And, oh yeah..."I don't own one yet." ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.