1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Well, despite the advice above about 25 watts being loud enough to gig (I am not doubting you, I just always want more), I bought / received / installed an Eminence Texas Heat-4 (the 4 ohm version of the Texas Heat). Tomorrow, I will crank up the amp and see if it is noticeably louder than when I was playing through an 8 ohm JBL. Sensitivity of the JBL was a bit higher (101dB vs. 99dB for the Emi), so I really don't know what result to expect - we'll see.

Durberville likes this.
  2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

As going from 25W to 50W is an increase of 3dB, but going from 101dB to 99dB is a decrease of 2dB, then you'll get a 1dB increase.

I'm afraid you won't hear any difference at all.

Durberville likes this.
  3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I had similar thoughts, but I guess we’ll see. There may be other impacts of the amp putting out 50 watts besides perceived volume. The feel might change. Or not. I’ll report back later today.

Durberville likes this.
  4. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I'm looking forward to your report. I'm planning on building a cab for a 12 inch speaker to use an MV50 with. I'm leaning towards the 4 ohm Texas Heat.

5. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

At 25w most gigs my volume is below 1/2 way, much above that the stage volume becomes too much

6. bendercaster

Any update on this?

7. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Its a very good sounding speaker. I have only tried it with the MV50 so far, but plan to try it with my 65 Bassman clone and TW Express clone as well over the weekend (if not sooner). But with the MV50, it was loud, full and just sounded great. Its very hard to tell if it is any louder than the 8ohm JBL I was using before it. Odds are it is not louder (+3 db due to 4 ohms, -2 db due to sensitivity differences), but it seems to have a more lively feel. A little more touch sensitive perhaps, a little more of that good chaos. Overall, a very nice speaker for the MV50.

Reminder - I have the "Clean" only.

Durberville likes this.
  8. bendercaster

Thanks. I'm encouraged by this. I plan to use the MV50 Clean too. I have plans for a 2 × 12 cabinet, as originally I thought I would need two 8 ohm speakers. But, in the interest of making this a light practice/backup option, I thInk I'd prefer one 4 ohm speaker. I just have to do a little more research and figure out the right dimensions for a 1 x 12 cabinet.

9. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So there is now a new MV50 called Boutique. I haven't tried it yet but what makes it attractive for me is a switch on the the back for changing the output impedance. Now I can use an 8 ohm cab without power loss.

Durberville likes this.
  10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

No, you’ll still have a power loss. It’s the nature if Class D. I even asked Vox support and they said that switch is mainly about reactance. Frankly, I think it’s a placebo.

11. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

:(

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

13. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Looks like guitarcenter.com has them on sale for $50 off too. Now I wish I had waited a month to buy mine! I like it a lot.

fitflatpicker likes this.
  14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I just looked back at my Amazon order, but it seems I am beyond the "return period". Oh, well, I like it enough to not be bothered by the $50 I didn't save :)

15. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

1527928525315.jpg
    Had lots of good comments about the sound of my Mv50 clean at last night's gig.
    2 people hung around til after the show to ask if it was going thru the PA , when I told them It wasn't they both said they were buying one.
    It was unmiced and probably running at just over 1/3 on the volume. I leave the low switch on when using single coils , last night I was using mostly a G&l s500. So happy with this great amp and cab.

LGOberean likes this.
  16. LGOberean

The cab is the BC112, right? (I'm assuming not the newer BC112-150.) So that means you were running at 25 watt output? And "the low switch on"? Is that a reference to the Attenuator on the back of the MV50 Clean? Is this in a band setting? What size of room?

Sorry to ply you with questions.

Durberville likes this.
  17. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I got a chance to play through the AC version yesterday through an 8 ohm Fender 2x12 cab. I was really impressed - again (first time was with the Clean that I already own). I've now ordered an AC and will come tomorrow. I want to see how well it takes pedals. My AC4 and AC10 (both sold now) didn't take pedals very well - they slipped into heavy overdrive too easily. My AC15 is a bit better, but still breaks up too early for my taste (although I am managing it OK). The MV50 Clean is great in this regard, and soon we'll see how the AC handles pedals. Stay tuned.

Durberville likes this.
  18. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Yes it was running at 25w , the low switch is just an eq switch to boost the lows which I love.
    There was about 100 -120 people last night , small to medium sized room, I've never used it with the volume above halfway yet.

LGOberean likes this.
  19. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

One thing I done like about the mv50 is the line out, it just doesn't sound nice to my ears.
    The line out on my blues cube sounds really good by comparison.

LGOberean likes this.
  20. LGOberean

Oh, okay, so your phrase "the low switch" refers to the "Deep" EQ setting as opposed to the "Flat"? You use the Deep setting even with the 1x12" cab? Sorry to hear that you don't like the Line Out. I was thinking that would be a helpful feature to use with a house PA or something.

Durberville likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.