1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

Was it loud enough? 50 watts of power is not much for a bass …

Durberville likes this.
  2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Line out to the PA?

Durberville likes this.
  3. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

It powered a 12in bass speaker and was only 1/2 way up, also used a line out to the pa

4. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

Do I understand correctly - the MA50 can also be used as a direct to PA solution for guitar and bass if you don't have a cab? That would be useful.

Would you say the sound through the PA is lively & strong (like a Joyo American pedal), or dull & lifeless (like a Dapper Mini when used straight to PA)?

Durberville and fitflatpicker like this.
  5. fitflatpicker

fitflatpicker TDPRI Member

I use my MV 50’s line out into a cab sim and take it straight to a pa. Sounds great.

6. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

Sorry for nitpicking, I'm trying to understand the details. So you are not running direct to PA - you have MV50-> to cab sim -> to PA?

I was wondering whether a MV50 direct ->PA without a cab sim works (ie, whether a cab sim is built into the MV50).

7. fitflatpicker

I did run the line out through my audio interface to audition it, sounded fine. I do prefer the eq controls of my cab sim though. I don’t believe a cab sim is designed into the MV50, The line out works just fine though.

8. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

The Line Out in MV50 includes a cab sim but it’s a not a great one, barely recognisable. So using it with a cab sim pedal should be a better solution.

9. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Which cab sim are you using?

I have a DI with a simple cab sim built in, but I have also been thinking about getting the Mooer Radar cab sim, which is much more advanced. it supports IRs, power amp tube sim, and more. Haven't tried one, just watched some vids. Any thoughts you have are appreciated.

10. fitflatpicker

I like the Neunaber Iconoclast. IMG_0112.JPG

Durberville likes this.
  11. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

After seeing your post, I watched a demo vid of the Iconoclast. Sounded great. If I understood correctly, it takes a simple approach to cab sim - no models per se, just well done eq. Do I have that right?

12. fitflatpicker

My understanding is that at has a band based resonance setting based on how different sized cabs behave acoustically. It’s not quite EQ, not IR modeling, it’s something different. However, it does sound good and is very versatile.

13. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been looking for a light rig for rehearsal and as a backup. I currently use an AC 15 on the normal channel. I keep it clean, but it’s a very full almost jangly sounding clean. I use a small pedal board for overdrive and lead boosts.

I’m torn between the MV50 clean and the MV50 AC. I plan to build a cab with a 4 ohm 12 in. Texas Heat in it. Has anyone tried this combination yet? I definitely want clean headroom, but I’m not sure whether the clean or AC model would get me there better?

14. fitflatpicker

The AC model has a gain knob that dirties up the tone pretty quickly. It’s cleans are fine, but the Clean model has more clean headroom in my experience.

15. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I can only comment on the Clean as I don't own the AC (yet???).

The Clean stays clean to about 2/3rds of the way up on the volume control. After that, it is clean-ish, and has a minimum amount of compression and thickening. It all sounds very good. I am using my clean (and my AC15) in much the way that you want to - clean platform for pedals. I don't have a 4 ohm speaker yet, so my experience is with an 8 ohm speaker, and while it is pretty loud, I don't think it is loud enough for gigs without miking it up. My opinion might change with a 4 ohm speaker. it also depends on your gigs and your band of course.

My "impression" (not experience) with the AC is that you will get less volume while clean. Most likely, to achieve full volume, you would have to crank up the gain pot, which will by nature result in driven tones. I bet they are great sounding, but if you want a clean platform for your pedals, this might not be ideal. That is why I bought the Clean. unfortunately, my local stores didn't have any of the MV50's in stock, so I had to commit to one or the other without playing them first - I am not unhappy with my decision at all.

fitflatpicker likes this.
  16. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Mine has been easily loud enough for gigs even with an 8ohm cab , I did a function in a big Hall with 300 people and it wasn't mixed up and the volume was only half way .

17. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Does the Clean have a character? Fendery? Voxy?

Durberville likes this.
  18. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

More fender than vox, but that's fine by me

sliberty likes this.
  19. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Just got back from the local GC. They didn't have them out on the floor, so I asked. The kid said that "they" sent them two when the MV50s first came out, the AC and the Clean. He said that they haven't sent them any more in the year (?) since. There's one other store in town I can check, but I don't have my hopes up. Of course at GC I can order one then return it in 45 days, but if it came to that, I'd just order from Sweetwater.

20. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I bought mine from Amazon (I am a Prime member), so returns are really easy. But I love the MV50 Clean, so its not going back. :)

My GC told me the same thing - sometimes they get a new product once, and then never again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.