1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I have an acquaintance that is a touring guitarist in Nashville. He runs two "Cleans" on his pedal board at 1/10th power each into an 8ohm 1x12 cab. That equals 5 watts per cabinet. He says the sound is huge without being loud. He's been a die hard Marshall user since the 80's and made the switch about 6 months ago. I just asked him about the setup recently and he is still really excited about it.

He didn't start by running it in 1/10th mode... he said he tried it for fun at a sound check and was surprised at how great it sounded and never looked back.

fitflatpicker likes this.
  2. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

To my ears the sound isn't great when cranking it on the lower settings , I leave mine on the full power or if it's a small gig the middle setting

3. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Does he play just below distorting, or distorted?

4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

He plays with many artists (to keep busy)... I'm sure it may change a little from gig to gig, but his primary show has been with the Bellamy Brothers since the very early 90's. His pedal board looks like it would provide any dirt he needs, so I suspect he keeps it clean or just on the edge.

fitflatpicker likes this.
  5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, cost effective is another aspect of this that's important to me. All my regular gigs are small(er) venues/quieter settings, so running an MV50 at full wattage output would be too loud. So my desire for the MV50 is less about need and more about want. Let me just admit it here: it's about GAS. :oops: I'm retired, and while on the one hand I could "afford" it, looking down the road long term I shouldn't be sinking a whole lot of $$$ into cabinets.

Believe me, though, the DYI/custom made options are appealing even if not that practical. I've posted before elsewhere on TDPRI that we had a house fire in 2010. Our house was built in 1935-36, with both interior and exterior walls being ship-lap construction, with planks of old growth Long Leaf Pine. In the rebuild process, I salvaged as much of the original lumber as I could. A lot of it was re-purposed into the re-build, but I saved some for guitars. I definitely have enough for a 1x12" or 2x10" cabinet. and the 82 year old LLP would make for a unique, attractive and lightweight cabinet.

Problem is, as I said before, I don't have the tools or the skills to make that happen. Woodworking was never a hobby of mine. Yeah, I'm retired and could learn, I suppose, but acquiring the tools necessary for woodworking would be significantly more expensive than just buying a ready made cab, or even commissioning a custom built cab.

6. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Keep a look out on eBay etc for a used cab , you can pick some real bargains up there

7. LGOberean

Not a bad idea. Just searched for "guitar extension speaker cabinet" on eBay, cwhich yielded 5 pages of results, but nothing in terms of a used cab that would meet my needs. However, it did list some results of 1x12" cabs w/o speakers, which is kind of along the lines of what W.L.Weller suggested.

Thanks for that. Though as you said, "not the most cost effective solution," I'm investigating this. Some eBay sellers offer pine 1x12" empty cabs for under a C note, and that would give me the option of choosing the speaker with the impedance and power rating to suit my needs. And thanks for the recommendation of Warehouse Speakers. I was aware of Eminence and the Texas Heat, but not Warehouse.

Durberville likes this.
  8. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

I'm really interested in the Clean model; I gave one a brief test at a local shop through the BC112 and it sounded great. I'm not super up to on the play with the various Celestion speakers but the V-Type in the 112 sounded like its maybe sort of splits the difference between a 'traditional' american and british speaker flavours?

I'm curious if anyone has played the MV50 Clean with a more classically fender voiced speaker cab; I've got a open 210 Pine box with Weber 10F150s that i'd like to use with the clean were i to get one. Any experiences anyones had with this sort of set up would be great

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Durberville likes this.
  9. LGOberean

Personally, I'm most interested in the AC model. I play a lot/mostly clean, so I would need it to clean up nice. From what I've seen of video demos/reviews, just tweaking the Gain and Volume knobs can achieve what I'm after for cleans. But for me the MV50 would kind of be my "Rock rig." When I say "Rock," for me that means Rockabilly/'50s Rock, and of the '60s & '70s, but not Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Van halen, etc. So the newly released High Gain" is not for me, nor is really the Rock version. And I'm not really a pedals guy, so the Clean version + pedals for dirt is not my preference.

Durberville likes this.
  10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I've always been, and still am, a tube snob. I build tube amps as a hobby, and mostly play amps that I have built (although, at the moment, I also own an AC15C1). The amp I use at home is a non-reverb Princeton that I built into a Blues Junior cabinet. I love the cleans of this low gain Fender circuit - it takes pedals so very well. And cranked, it has a such a wonderful sweet spot. But I just left that amp at the band rehearsal space, so I needed something I could play at home. I wanted the ability to play quietly at night, but also with some amount of volume during the day when nobody will be bothered. I mostly use pedals for my dirt, so I wanted another clean platform.

So I bought the Vox MV50 Clean. As everyone in this thread already knows, this is the clean model from that series that has that NuTube thing in it. The built in attenuator works well for night play, and the general feature set, while simple, is really all I needed. These amps have one big drawback - while they are rated at 50 watts, they can only achieve that level of power at 4 ohms. But in the house I don't really need 50 watts (50 SS watts, which aren't as loud as 50 tube watts, is a lot for at home). My 1x12 has an 8 ohm speaker, so supposedly I am getting 25 watts, and it is fine for my needs.

But more importantly, this things sounds GREAT. Not just great for SS, it really sounds great. I don't know if it is because of the NuTube or just a really good design overall. It shines with my pedals, and has a very sweet clean sound as well with all pedals bypassed. I am super impressed with everything except the price. I think $200 may be a little high for this puppy (from a marketing standpoint only, I think from a value standpoint it is just fine) since the Boss Katana combo is just a little bit more ($249). But since I had some credit card points, I didn't have to shell out the whole $200 anyway.

This amp is likely going to be the amp I play at home most of the time. But I may also use it as a backup amp for gigs when I have taken my 1x12 and a head. Its so freaking small, I can just throw it into my cables/straps/etc. backpack. It might not be loud enough on its own for a gig, but if we are miked up anyway, there will be no issues at all.

Its a shame that GC doesn't carry these in stock. If people could try them, I think they would sell like crazy. I bought mine from Amazon knowing I could easily return it if I wanted to. But no, its a keeper.

Videos I've seen of the AC and Rock versions sound good too. But for a pedal guy, the Clean model is the way to go in my opinion.

Durberville and FerruleCat like this.
  11. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I am running my MV50 Clean into a 1x12 with an 8 ohm speaker (100 watt capable). I was wondering what the results would be if I rigged up an 8 ohm dummy load, and connected it along with the 8 ohm cabinet. I realize that the power output will be 50 watts, but would the dummy load soak up half of that power, resulting in no benefit? Or would it be louder than running it at 25 watts into the same 1x12?

12. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

I’m no scientician, but as I understand it, if you rig up a dummy load in parallel it will end up with half the impedance. The other thing it may do is dramatically change the poweramp–speaker interaction. Again, not an electrical wizard, but I am under the impression that the impedance relationship of class d amps and speakers is similar to tube amp transformers and speakers and is part of the sound/response. So you might find that while you ca get the full 50watts out of the amp, you sacrifice some of the things your like about it

13. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

How do you think it might compare with the Orange Micro Dark 20W? I've read a lot of excellent reviews on it as well. Thanks, Ky

14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Half the impedance is the point - to get it to 4 ohms. But I suspect that there would be no benefit as the 8 ohm dummy load would absorb half of the power, resulting in the same 25 watts going to the speaker.

15. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Aren’t the various small Orange amps all about distortion? I guess that means the MV50 Rock is the one to compare it to. Check YouTube videos for guidance.

KyAnne and LGOberean like this.
  16. LGOberean

I have to agree about Orange amps. No one ever buys one because of their clean tones. No demo vids ever focus on their clean tones. I'm not saying that as a put down. My son-in-law has an Orange OR-15 (with an Orange PPC112 cab). I like the crunch tones, but the cleans aren't pristine. And this is true as well of the Micro Dark and Micro Terror.

Case in point, this video compares the Orange Micro Terror and Micro Dark to the MV50 Rock (and the Peavey 6505). And what does the guy doing the shootout choose to play for the comparison? A metal track. Comparing the clean tones just wasn't the focus.

Another comparison video, Landon of Lando27music did a shootout of the Orange Micro Dark and the Vox MV50 AC, not the Rock version, but still, kind of helpful.

KyAnne likes this.
  17. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I asked the Vox tech support folks about the Imp Selector switch that the Clean doesn't have. It seems that while it is not needed to "set the impedance", what it does is adjust the reactance. They claim this is mostly useful for overdriven amps, so they replaced that feature on the Clean model with the attenuator.

For what it is worth.

Durberville likes this.
  18. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

1524465287257.jpg
    This little beauty saved the day yesterday when the bass players amp went down.
    Sounded great too really clear and the line out worked well too.

KyAnne and fitflatpicker like this.
  19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Hmmmm....I haven't tried mine with a bass yet....

Durberville likes this.
  20. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I was forced into it, but the bass player loved it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.