Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

I'd use EHX Switchblade Plus for such a purpose...

2. hungry4des

hungry4des TDPRI Member

That one is also for switching amp inputs. I'm trying to switch amp outputs to one cabinet. It's hard to do with MV50 because there is voltage on both speaker leads. Tube amps with transformer driving speaker can be grounded on one lead, and they make pedals to do this, but won't work with MV50.

https://www.radialeng.com/product/headbone-vt

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

3. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Did not realize that... Thank you!

4. anthrotony

anthrotony Tele-Meister

OK, I came to this thread a few years too late, but what a great repository of information! Well, I've finally made my way through it as I'm considering buying a "Clean" or a "Boutique". I use pedals but also like some amp overdrive as well, so this choice would come down to a couple of factors. Are the cleans of the Boutique still Fender- Blackface or different and if so, how? And I'd have to hope that the Boutique would (at least at the lower levels of Gain) handle reverb and delay in front. In either case, I would be mostly using the amp though headphones and the opinions here seem ambivalent at best.

But my real concern is that I was surprised to see quite a few issues of power cutting out, volume dropping, and that 16 ohm speaker cutout at high volume. Dos anyone know if these have become quite common problems or if Vox has responded by taking care of them?

Hopefully some of you might chime in on some of my questions and concerns. Cheers!

5. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I can't comment on the Boutique as I don't own one. I have the Clean, and at one time I also had the AC (but ended up selling the AC). I use pedals to get my overdrive, and I also use modulation, delay and reverb all in front of my Clean (of course, since there is no loop). It works like any other clean amp. Since my overdrive comes from pedals, its a non-issue. In the past, I have used reverb into overdriven amps, and didn't particularly have a problem with it, but others say it "doesn't work". I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

I have never had power drop out, and I have never had volume drop off. I use either 4ohm or 8ohm speakers, partly because that is what I have, and partly because I want as much power as possible. In general, I wouldn't recommend running at 16ohms unless you simply have no choice.

I really love my Clean. Ever since getting it, my Princeton clone has become my home amp (mostly). I take the Clean to the weekly blues jam, as well as band practice. I have used it at gigs too. With the right pedals, it does the job very well, and fits in a camera case that I then place in my backpack.

Just do it!

Steve

anthrotony and guitarmikey like this.
  6. perttime

perttime Friend of Leo's

I've understood that the Clean is really clean? As in doesn't appreciate pushing the amp itself to overdrive.

7. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Actually, it sounds pretty decent when pushed. A touch muddy maybe, but I suspect that can be dialed out.

perttime likes this.
  8. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Could the MV Clean work okay as a keyboard amp?

9. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

To a point maybe. But as you turn it up, it does thicken a little which might not suit the keyboard so well.
    Keyboards work well into PA type amps. So another option in a similar price range would be a powered wedge monitor.

10. anthrotony

anthrotony Tele-Meister

Thanks for this information Steve, and sorry for my delay in responding. Anyway I went ahead and bought the Clean. I've had absolutely no problems with it at all.

Some observations:

I've compared it extensively with my 1998 Hot Rod Deville 410 (though the cab's speakers). I can get tones from both amps (Deville Clean of course) that are basically indistinguishable from one another. I wish I had a Princeton around, but I'm guessing that with the Treble around 2 o'clock and the bass around 10 o'clock it would come pretty close. Perhaps Steve or someone else might be able to comment on this!

Cranked: Not so great, but backed off slightly and I find it a very usable base tone equally good with pedals in front.

Attenuation: nothing bad to say. I'm very impressed.

Lack of effects loop: I'm surprised that so many YT superstars nowadays always hit on lack of effects loop. I've always had one and never used it because I get perfectly good tones in front of the amp.

My daughter preferred the MV50 in almost every comparison and suggested that I should sell the HRDv especially as she preferred the MV50 through a WGS ET65 speaker which i'm putting into a custom 1x12 cab!

I initially bought it to use through headphones when necessary, but it's really not very good except with super clean tones in which case it is excellent.

My only real "complaint" is that I want to use this on top of a speaker cab, not on the pedalboard, and of course, it is really challenging to avoid it falling off due to cable movement! Obviously, this isn't a real issue as it couldn't be otherwise given its ultra-lightweight design. I'm thinking about solutions to perhaps build into my speaker cab design, but perhaps other users have already thought up good, workable solutions? I've searched the web and surprisingly I haven't found anything!

I'm really happy with this amp and can actually see myself selling off my larger equipment. Along with a 5e3 clone, it more than serves all of my foreseeable needs!

guitarmikey likes this.
  11. anthrotony

anthrotony Tele-Meister

A quick update on my Clean purchase. My earlier "complaint" had been about amp stability. I have it sitting on top of a BassBreaker 15 head and it's never moved even a tiny bit. I play through my pedal board and then into the amp, so I guess this reduces the chances of pulling it off the cab unless I yank the entire pedal board!

Still love the amp. I also recently bought a Boutique, which I thought I'd use as wet/dry or even stereo, but I actually prefer to have the two amps on an AB switch so that I can run the Boutique with some really creamy overdrive, but if I back off my guitar volume, I can also get a richer (??) creamier (??) clean than from the Clean amp head. The Boutique is superb, but I guess I'd say that the Clean is just slightly better overall -- lower noise floor, more control of EQ, and with the right pedals I can get similar overdriven tones as I can with the Boutique. But I should say that certain pedals, such as the OCD, do sound that much tighter and perhaps better when driving the slightly overdriven Boutique, but not by a huge margin.

12. anthrotony

anthrotony Tele-Meister

One question for anyone who is still visiting this thread. I've tried to find responses via Google and internal search engines for different forums but have come up dry.

Has anyone tried taking the Line Out signal into the Return of an effects loop of a good tube amp?

I thought I'd try it as a possibility for a wet/dry alternative and just to see what it sounded like using real power tubes. I ran the Boutique into the Return of my HotRod Deville. Wow. I was blown away with the fullness of the tone. And I got the additional benefit of having the HotRod's reverb and presence after the Vox. Very nice. Now if I could figure out how to make the Vox switchable in and out of the Effects Loop, I could use either the HRDv's own preamp, or use a Vox as an alternative preamp! Of course, it means that I'd be lugging the HRDv around as needed! But hey, I could I imagine say a Clean (to give a truer BF tone), a Boutique, and even a Rock on some sort of switching system to go through the power tubes of the HRDv for additional warmth. What a rig!

13. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Late into this one too. I've had both a Boutique and a Rock. Liked the Boutique, hated the Rock.

The Boutique: very nice cleans and turbo gain just at the end of the dial. Before that, very usable and organic OD. Versatility is the word for the Boutique.

The Rock: No cleans to speak of from very low on the gain knob. More of a one trick pony.

Why didn't I keep them ? The lack of an effet loop. Any effect I'd put up front, was tenfold with gain. I like a little reverb and delay, and with the MV50's, I never found the dialing sweet spot.

I never thought of keeping the Boutique as a preamp ... damned.

anthrotony likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.