1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

I got a MV50 Boutique 6 months ago and am very happy. Pretty versatile, not a one trick pony amp at all. I coupled it with a Vox Stomplab and there's noe not much it can't do.

I also got a Rock MV50 a month ago to compare, who knows eh ? Well that one has a narrower tonal palette, pretty much Rock and then more Rock. Once you're past 20% on the gain knob, you can say goodbye to cleans.
    It's now up for sale.

I started by playing the Boutique through my 2X12" home made cab with Jet City Eminence, which are pretty neutral in tone. They don't color the native sound. It was VERY loud and with good definition. I then played it with my 2X10" cab (Vox Celestion VX10), much better with tighter lows and mids.

I then built an experimental 2X10" cab with again the same VX10 speakers. I built it with the speakers installed on two different baffles at 90°. Very interesting how different they sound from the classic 2X10" cab. If I play facing one speaker only, the other seem to have a milisecond natural delay in reaching my ears. I like it.

Cab 90° 2X10.jpg

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

BTW ... This afternoon, I brought the amp out on the roof, to see how it sounded in the open. Crazy good ! Played it for what ... half an hour ? When I took a break, I went to the railing and looked around. Down in the yard ... standing ovation ! Who would've had thought ?

I guess I'm not the only one liking these MV50's !

01.jpg

lareplus likes this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

This is the MV50 model I'm wanting. I've heard it demo'ed without effects and it sounded really good to me...

Before they came out with the Boutique, I had my sights set on the AC version. When the Boutique followed, I was curious, but still wanted the AC version.

But then Vox came out with their Mini Super Beetle, and that gave me a new amp to GAS over. Same NuTube technology, same wattage output capability, same voicing for AC tones, but with a better tone stack (Bass & Treble control knobs versus a single Tone knob), and with reverb and tremolo. And a cab included.

So now I'm hoping Santa will bring me a Mini Super Beetle for Christmas. Then, after an appreciable length of time (so my wife can adjust to the idea of me getting yet another new amp), I hope to get an MV50 Boutique.

DrBGood likes this.
  4. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

How does the MV50 AC sound through headphones? I'm sort of jonesing for one with this recent price drop. I'm sure sometimes I would play it through my 112 cab, but it would probably get a lot of silent work at night when kids are sleeping, and I know some of these lunchbox-style amps (e.g., Orange Micro Terror) get mixed reviews when it comes to the sound through headphones. Thanks all.

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you have them both plugged into that cab, you might fry Greta's OT if you use the Greta a lot because the impedance is all weird. Plus it's not 50W if you have the MV50 going through it backwards. Possibly fry the 12AT7 as well when the Greta is on.

You might possibly screw up the MV50 as well. Or not, I guess the impedance might just be 4 ohms. I never plugged an amp into a speaker output to find out, or measured an OT from the output.

6. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

It sounds ok but not really good. If you´re planning to use it mostly with headphones I would go for another solution. As amp with a cab it´s a really perfect solution especially when you´re looking at the price.

7. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Usually there is another circuit specially made for headphones. And not a very good sounding one... (look at the total price of the toy).
    I have the Micro Terror as well, and that one sounds worse than MV50 Ac on HP. Still, not a great sound... the best of them is my Marshall Studio 15 on HP. But that seems to be a sort of attenuator. Different game...

8. Yoshowa92

Yoshowa92 TDPRI Member

Just got an mv 50ac I had ordered a used boutique but guitar center sent the wrong amp they no longer have a used boutique and the price has gone back up with them I’m debating returning it and arguing a used clean down to the same price but would like something with a little dirt for home practice what I was curious about is would the ac be loud enough for gigging volume up gain down to get a clean sound to use with pedals don’t plan on breaking out the pedals at home that’s why I want the option on the amp sorry if this question has already been asked

9. Yoshowa92

Yoshowa92 TDPRI Member

sorry I will try to make this easier to read. I just got an mv 50ac. I had ordered a used boutique, but guitar center sent the wrong amp. They no longer have a used boutique, and the price on the mv50s has gone back up. I’m debating returning the ac and arguing a used clean down to the same price, but would like something with a little dirt for home practice. What I was curious about is would the ac be loud enough for gigging, volume up, and gain down to get a clean sound, for use with pedals? I don’t plan on breaking out the pedals at home, and that’s why I want the overdriven option on the amp. Sorry if this question has already been asked, and again sorry about the unreadable earlier post.

LGOberean likes this.
  10. LGOberean

I wish I could answer your question, but I don't own an MV50, any version. I haven't even had the chance to test drive any of them. I sure have wanted to, but nobody in town has had one or seems interested in stocking any in the series. I have watched a ton of videos on the Clean, AC and Boutique versions (the Rock and High Gain versions are wasted on me).

If you're considering sending back the AC in exchange for a Clean and hoping for some overdriven tones from the latter, you may be disappointed. From what my ears tell me based on what I've watched/listened to, the Clean version doesn't really get that gritty. And at least one TDPRI member that (last I knew) owns an MV50 Clean agrees. He has said of it...

I said before that I haven't had the chance to even test drive any one of the MV50s. I have, however, played through Vox' amp offering after the MV50 series, namely the Mini Super Beetle. The MSB is essentially the MV50 AC version, but with its own cab (10" speaker) included in the package, and with on-board reverb and tremolo, as well as an expanded tone stack (Bass & Treble vs. the single Tone knob on the MV50 AC).

Here's my experience with the MSB (3-4 test drives). With the Gain at 9 o'clock and the Volume at noon, or conversely, with Gain at noon and Volume at a tad under 9, you get "Voxy" clean, that is, a nice mixture of warmth and chime with just a hint of crunchiness. Vox' AC style clean is not a pristine clean like a Roland Jazz Chorus OR Cube clean, or a glassy clean like a Fender. So when I play through my Pathfinders, or through an AC15, or the Mini Super Beetle, I expect just the slightest bit of crunch to go with the warmth and chime.

Based on all this, I'd say if you're looking for a bit of grit from the little amp head itself, keep the AC. But if you're wanting clean tones pretty much all the way up the dial, and are content to get driven tones from pedals, then try to negotiate for that Clean.

dswo and Yoshowa92 like this.
  11. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

The MV50AC will not be loud enough to gig in my opinion if you want clean tones. I sold mine for that reason. I am a pedal guy, so the Clean is a much better platform for me, and it definitely is loud enough for a bar gig, or any gig where you will be miked up. I do cleans with my drive pedals bypassed, edge of breakup with a Timmy style pedal, and more overdriven tones with a Bluesbreaker, an OCD, or a RAT inspired 1981 Inventions DRV Overdrive. Pedals provide all of the options I need with the clean platform. The AC (to me) is more suited to always overdriven tones.

YMMV

dswo, Yoshowa92 and LGOberean like this.
  12. Yoshowa92

Yoshowa92 TDPRI Member

Thank you for the response. That is exactly what I was expecting, just wanted to confirm. You guys have been very helpful.

13. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

15. hungry4des

hungry4des TDPRI Member

I have an AC, Rock, and Boutique. I like them all.
    Boutique is definitely the cleanest with lots of headroom but gets very over driven the last 1/4 of gain knob. Very spanky, country sound with lots of lows and highs on single coils, scooped out mids. I'm using it with a V30 and G12HAnniv in 2x12 at 4ohms total, so maybe that's why it's sounds scooped and spanky to me. Very meaty and clear jazz sound with Les Paul humbuckers. Definitely dirties up the harder you drive it with boost or TS.
    AC has lots of midrange compared to the others. Very cool gritty sound, want to say brash or in your face, rude. Cleans up at 9 o'clock, gets dirty after 10 o'clock. Great with single coils or humbuckers. I leave it on 9 o'clock and push it with boost or TS. I run it through Marshall 4x12 at 4ohms. G12T75 loaded.
    Rock sounds very Marshall to me. Lots of bass, lots of upper mids, never fully clean, but very touch sensitive or guitar volume sensitive at 9 o'clock or less. Can clean up this way and can be pushed into sweat overdrive or lead sustain with boost. Sounds very Hendrix or overdriven SRV with single coils and Jimmy Page to Tool with Les Paul. I run through G12EVH(heritage greenback) and Alnico Blue in 2x12 at 4ohms total.
    Can't beat the weight savings. Used to play 100w tube heads. I'm loving the sounds I'm getting. I use the NuTube screamer as clean as possible as a EQ'd boost, awesome lead tone. If I come across a cheap used MV50 Clean or HiGain I'd probably buy it to try it out.
    Now I'm trying to figure out how to switch the amps into one speaker cabinet for gigs. Might make a customer foot switch for that. I can't gig with all these cabinets I use at home, haha!
    I spent a lot of time swapping speakers until I found combinations that sounded the best for me. It was worth it. I'm really happy with what I'm hearing right now. I'm a little worried that I'll have to find what sounds good with all three amps, versus how I matched different speakers for each. Good luck with your quest for tone! 20200125_224019.jpg 20200125_224047.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Bristlehound likes this.
  16. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Is this any good for you??? Radial Switchbone

They do lots of switching options so a search around their site may turn up something more suitable.

17. hungry4des

hungry4des TDPRI Member

Not that particular one because it's for switching into different amp inputs, which is what I do with the a/b boxes, but they do have one for switching amp outputs to one cab. It's only for two amps at a time though, so I'd need two of them. 1st world problems...

18. LGOberean

19. hungry4des

hungry4des TDPRI Member

That guy's blog is a half decent attempt at comparing to tubes, but I think he got the answer he wanted out of it.
    On the other hand, check out what this guy did with NuTubes. He even tested the frequency response to show it behaved like tubes.

http://www.pmillett.com/NuClassD.html

dswo likes this.
  20. LGOberean

Well, all's I gotta say about both them guys is lektronix ain’t never been a hobby of mine, and I ain’t never had me no kolige edumacashun, so I din’t follow all that. :oops::twisted:

Seriously, thanks for posting that. I believe you're right, Tony Blunt got the result he went looking for. Since "Blunt Instruments" sells boutique amps, I think he had a vested interest in the outcome of his experiment. I'm in no way an amp tech or even a do-it-yourself-er, so I posted for others more knowledgeable than I to respond to that "Blunt" article. And the article by Pete Millet you shared provided a knowledgeable different perspective, although in truth both articles went way over my head.

All I can judge by is what I feel and what I hear. I still have never seen any model of MV50 here in Corpus Christi, but I have plugged into and test driven the Mini Super Beetle, several times. So as far as Vox amps using NuTube technology, that's my point of reference to date, as far as personal experience goes. And even then, I'm not making comparisons to traditional tube amps, because I can't. Though I once did a bit of recording in a studio through an AC15, and I've test driven tube amps and played through them at friend's houses, I’ve never owned a tube amp, and probably never will. I’ve never lived with one of my own, so it would be foolish of me to speak to a comparison.

I have learned in the last dozen years what I like in an amp. But the tone I’m listening for isn’t only associated with tubes. The feel, the responsiveness of the amp I’m playing through is not judged based on decades of tube experience. So that “Blunt” opinion is irrelevant to me. :twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.