1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JJ123

JJ123 NEW MEMBER!

Hi everyone, just had a problem with my MV-50 and wonder if anyone might be able to help?

The power switch wont turn off the amp and there is no output signal to the cab or phones output. The Vu meter is still showing input signal.

The amp was working fine - I turned it off (so i thought) - came back after an hour to play and had no sound - tried to turn it on and off again and it wouldnt switch off - tried unplugging the power cable, but when replugged in the same behavior happens and the amp comes on automatically but with no sound.

Any ideas!?

2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I can't help you diagnose / fix your MV50. But I will say it sounds like it needs to go back to Vox. The not shutting off part could be as simple as a bad switch. But the lack of sound is more serious. If it is a new purchase, just return it. But if you;ve had it too long for that, contact Vox support. Good luck.

JJ123 likes this.
  3. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Proud owner of a MV50 clean. Love this little thing, it´s so versatile from home to live use.

Here´s a short vid playing my MV50

JeffBlue, Mase and radiocaster like this.
  4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well done, that was quite nice. :)

I'm not a pedal guy, so I'm more interested in the other models, but I'd probably need to try pedals into whichever model I was playing through. I've got a BOSS ME-70 multi-fx pedal (the only pedal I own), so I've probably got something comparable to the DD3. But I must confess ignorance of the "KoT". What is that? Kick on Tuner? Knights of Templar? Kentuckians on Telecasters? :twisted:

I'm as interested in that cab as I am the MV50 Clean, if not more so. I see the speaker is a 1x10" Eminence Ramrod. What's the cabinet made of? How much does it weigh?

skerwo likes this.
  5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

KoT = King of Tone
    A duel overdrive pedal that's super expensive with a long waiting list.

skerwo likes this.
  6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

What is it dueling with? :twisted:

skerwo likes this.
  7. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

:oops::oops::oops: :)My computer has let out the magic smoke so I'm having to use my phone for posting. I'm struggling!

skerwo and LGOberean like this.
  8. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Thx for your nice words, man :). I loved the Kentuckians on Telecasters :lol:

As already said it´s a clone of the Analogman King of Tone, for me the best od pedal I ever used and the reason why I´m totally satisfied on the pedal market (I´ve got two of them, one on my home board here in the vid, the other on my board for rehearsal and gigs).

I think the MV50 clean should work well with the BOSS ME-70. Here´s the story for the cab: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/new-cab-for-5f1-clone.825613/. The 5f1 clon went out of the cab and now I use it as a standalone cab with the Ramrod and the MV50.

And here a little bit more story from the MV50: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/nad-vox-mv-50-clean.939765/.

9. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

That´s the reason why I´m using a clone. At the moment you´ll have to wait around 2 years or so :(

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I just got a used MV50 AC secondhand from Andertons today. Been playing it through a 1x12 cab I have with a Celestion Heritage Greenback. I'm impressed at the sounds I'm getting from it with my Tele. I don't know if it'll be loud enough for playing with my band (the 1x12 is 16ohm) but I'm going to take it to the next rehearsal to try out.

Can't grumble for £99 though and of course, pictures or it didn't happen:
    Vox small stack.jpg

guitarmikey likes this.
  11. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I use my MV50 Clean with three different cabinets. At the blues jam, I have an open back with a 4ohm Eminence speaker. At band practice, I use an open back with an 8ohm JBL, and at home (and gigs), I have a CLOSED back with an 8ohm JBL. The JBLs hold their own very well because they are very efficient. They are likely as loud as the 4ohm Emi speaker. So the moral of the story is that 16ohm won't be all that loud, 8ohms can be just fine if the speaker is pretty efficient, and 4ohms can be pretty loud too (but there aren't many choices).

12. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

So I stumbled into one of these amps. Wasn't planned, I was very content with my Katana, but I wasn't going to turn down the Vox flavor for only $90 bucks. Even if I might end up returning it if I'm short of money for my upcoming trip. Living on the edge, truly.

So at the moment, it's sitting on my computer desk being used as a headphone amp. And I feel in a bit of a predicament because *I don't know* what I'm going to do for a cabinet. I really don't want to spend much more on the cabinet than I did on the amp, after all.

Are there any particular used options I should be looking out for, at least 8 ohm and coming in $150 or less? I usually don't need to turn the Katana above the 25 watt setting when I gig, so I don't *think* I'd need a 4 ohm cab. And I'd still want to keep the character of the amplifier Vox-like, I don't want to lose that particular chime and breakup.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, in case I was burying the lede there: Guitar Center has/had these for 90 bucks. In case you want a spare.

guitarmikey likes this.
  13. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

The Vox BC108 should suffice, about £60 in the uk.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  14. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

would anyone know how the mv50 clean would sound with a tube screamer ?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  15. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I don't like Tube Screamers, but I have been using my MV50 Clean with a variety of overdrive pedals, and love the results. My overdrives include clones of a Bluesbreaker, Timmy, OCD, and Rat. I currently use my MV50 Clean with my Line6 HX Stomp with presets that include the emulations of the pedals above. The MV50 Clean responds really well to pedals.

if you are a TS fan, I am pretty sure you will be happy using it in front of the Clean.

a wobblin likes this.
  16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

The BC108 will sound only fair IMHO. A 12" speaker is really what these amps need. its a real amp and can sound like a real amp if you play it through a real speaker cabinet. As for whether or not 4 ohms is needed, it hardly matters since there are so few 4 ohm speakers around. The one I bought is a 150 watt Texas Heat, and honestly, my 8 ohm JBL is louder. This is due to the sensitivity rating of the speakers in question.

I recommend doing what I did. Go to your local shop and see if they have an empty combo cabinet sitting around. I paid $25 for mine. Then, get yourself a nice speaker and load it in. This is the cabinet I leave at band practice. The cabinet I have at home and for gigs is a nice closed back with a JBL, and it sounds great.

a wobblin likes this.
  17. Autolycus

Autolycus TDPRI Member

Not sure about the clean but I have the AC and it sounds great with a TS-9. But the way I use the tube screamer is to put a little gain on (maybe 10:00 or so) and then layer the TS on that.

a wobblin likes this.
  18. Denison

Denison NEW MEMBER!

would anyone know how the mv50 clean line out would sound with Mooer Radar, is it possible (and safe) to use it ? VOX claims there is a cab sim in this output, and I wonder how would it sound with mooer radar cab sim...

19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

The built in cab sim is probably just some eq'ing. It is certainly safe to play the MV50 through the Radar, but the eq'ing and the IRs may not play that nicely together. However, the Radar lets you tweak various parameters (including eq) on the IRs, so you might be able to make it work.

On the other hand, have you tried the MV50 line out without the Radar? I have a friend that gigs that way all the time (he has the AC model).

20. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Have you looked at the ECO switch ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.