1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Slip around on top of the Greta you mean? Are all of the feet making contact with the top of the Greta? If they are, but it is a slippery surface, make it less slippery. Maybe cut some sandpaper squares or strips, and using a little hot glue (which is very easy to remove) stick the sandpaper to the Greta. This would give the feet much more friction to hold the MV50 in place.

2. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

I find that it slips around on any surface other than glass, thanks for the suggestion. I guess this must be a common (ish) dilemma as it’s such a small little thing. It’s even smaller than I anticipated.

tce63 likes this.
  3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Well, it is also because of the feet themselves. I don't have mine here, but I suppose they might be hard rather than rubbery. So another option is to replace the feet with something more rubbery. But that might require taking the whole amp apart. If you can get some stick on feet that are taller than the feet already on the MV50, you could stick them on and the amp would sit on them instead. I suppose you could rough up the original feet with a rasp too.

tce63 likes this.
  4. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Anybody have experience with the 112 cab that goes with these and a Night Train 112? Does the bigger MV cab offer any obvious benefits?

tce63 likes this.
  5. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

I've noticed with this set up, with the Greta powered off the gain needle operates as though it is switched on when I play through he Vox head and cab, I assume it is the Vox speaker cabs magnetic field. Would anyone know if this can cause any longer term reliability issues - I might just separate them out.

Attached Files:

6. MHorne39

MHorne39 TDPRI Member

Hey everyone! I'm looking to get an MV50 AC, but I had a couple of quick questions:

1. How loud can it get before it starts to breakup?

2. Could I run it clean, and then push it into overdrive with just an EP Booster, or would I need an actual drive pedal?

3. How does it react to fuzz pedals? Specifically a BC108- based fuzz like the MXR 108?

Thanks in advance!

7. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I got rid of mine because it broke up too early for my taste. I prefer the Clean because I mainly use pedals for dirt.

Yes you can push it into dirtier territory with boosted pedals.

I can’t comment on the fuzz question.

I use my clean a lot for very clean sounds (no pedals) broken up sounds (using a Timmy clone) and crunchy sounds (using a Moore Blues Crab). I stack them too. The clean is a great platform.

8. MHorne39

MHorne39 TDPRI Member

Ive heard it has more of a Fender-y profile than the classic Vox sound, is that true? I really love the Vox sound, but I'd love to run an EP Booster into a delay into the MV50, but not sure how that would sound... Thanks for the reply!

9. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

The Clean is what I would call neutral. Not Voxy, not really anything specific to my ears. But you can draw nice chime out of it with a very low gain pedal set fairly bright (that’s how I use the Timmy clone).

10. MHorne39

MHorne39 TDPRI Member

How did it turn out? I'm really interested and I'd like to ask a few questions if that's cool. How loud can it get before it breaks up? Could you run it totally clean and drive it with a clean boost (EP, Mini Spark)? How well does it take fuzz and delay pedals? Thanks in advance!

dqami likes this.
  11. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

I run an HX stomp into the MV50 (plugged into two 8" Vox Cabs @4 ohms) on my desktop for practice and recording. If you are trying to use amp modeling, the MV50 Clean and the cabs will both add their own sonic character, which will at least partially defeat the purpose of the modeling. That said, it still pretty much works. I don't think the MV50 totally obscures the models. Tim Pierce used the HX Stomp with amp and cab models in "direct mode" into a standard head and cab, and thought that the result was more than useable.

I picked up a Headrush FRFR 112 for modeled sounds, and its really not that much better at it (but great for acoustic guitar and bass... so it stays).

Tim Pierce using a modeler through standard amp and cab:

12. Lamone

Lamone NEW MEMBER!

Hi all, first post here triggered by this here very useful thread...

I have a specific question that I don't covered here so far - is it ok to run my MV50 Clean into both BC112 and BC108 connected in parallel, or does that risk damaging the BC108 being as it is rated for 25W while this configuration creates 4ohm/50W?

Background:

I've had the MV50 Clean + BC108 for about year now for home recording & practicing, they sit nicely on the man cave shelf & I've been very pleased with them. Haven't been gigging since a while before this purchase, & during that time I basically retired my vintage AC30 (loaned to a mate's studio so it get regular use without getting bashed around in vans anymore). Another studio has my Orange AD30R - always my second choice amp, never liked it as much as the Vox particularly with my ton of pedals - they called me a couple of weeks back saying it wasn't working. At more or less the same time I got a request to play some shows across the summer, & started to think about using the MV50 while figuring out what to do about the Orange at my leisure. Tried the MV50 with 16Ohm speaker at rehearsal & sounded really good, so yesterday I picked up the BC112 & will rehearse with that this weekend. Now I doubt for this particular run of gigs that the MV50 / BC112 @ 25W will struggle (e.g. we're discussing the drummer using rods) but just in case I wondered what adding the BC108 would do - played for about 10mins at indoor volume it sounded nice, bit of extra sparkle even, but I have the above concern...

Appreciate any advice on this - I've never understood speaker ratings & configurations, almost always used combos

Thanks in advance!

13. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Welcome to the forum, as you've seen, there's an incredible amount of information here (mixed in with the intentional typos and tonewood debates)

What you're proposing will not create any issue. Two paralleled 8 ohm speakers create an impedance load of 4 ohms for the amplifier. And two speakers of the same impedance will each see half of the amplifier's power output (which is only at it's max when you've got everything dimed)

Your proposed use case is why VOX made those cabinets 8 ohms. Post a clip if you can, I bet the 12 + 8 will sound unique and cool.

Lamone and perttime like this.
  14. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Tried a new speaker - 6" Monacore 60W. Of course, boxy sounding, but for home use is best options (for my neighbours...).
    The rest of speakers, RC and 12" FSD still available, with so many different sounds...
    cut.jpg 2018-11-21 20.27.47.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Lamone

Lamone NEW MEMBER!

Thanks very much! I'll give it a blast next rehearsal & grab a recording (don't expect anything too subtle, I'm mainly producing a kind of psychedelic clang - on a Telecaster, of course)

16. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I'm all about psychedelic clangs. Telecasters don't only work for Don Rich or Ted Greene.

17. alexz

alexz NEW MEMBER!

Hello guys, I own a Mv50ac and I'm very happy with its sound, I'd built an oversized 1x12 cab fitted with a [email protected] Blue Weber, it sounds amazing!
    I'm planning to do a couple of mods to the head, like adding a send/return, any of you guys know where I can get the schematics for the Mv50ac?
    Thanks

18. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I haven't seen the MV50 schematics floating around, and I'd be surprised if I did. I think installing an effects loop will be quite challenging given the small PCB, and also there isn't much room to install 2 more jacks. But I would be interested to see the results if you succeed.

alexz likes this.
  19. alexz

alexz NEW MEMBER!

I forgot to mention that I will put the new thing in a brand new slightly bigger chassis

20. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I think you'd still have the issue of the surface-mount components and small traces. If you've got a fine point soldering iron and steady hands, it won't be impossible.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.