1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

It's then in 25w mode with a 8 ohm cab , 50w with a 4ohm cab , but 25 watts are really loud , don't think I've got it over 1/2 way as it's just too loud .

2. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Local Vox dealer has run out of MV50-AC. Clean and Rock are still in stock. I'm wondering how the new/upcoming Boutique compares.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I thought those boots looked kinda feminine, but hey, how you accessorize is none of my business.

Festofish, amorica and Durberville like this.
  4. LGOberean

Again, I'm hoping this discussion thread will be not only a place for trading information, posting pics and discussing applications, but a repository of the fundamental information about the Vox MV50 series. With that goal in mind, here is a press release from 3 years ago about the pivotal piece of technology behind the MV50: the NuTube.

http://www.korg.com/us/news/2015/012212/

Durberville likes this.
  5. LGOberean

Alright, again with the fundamental information about the Vox MV50 series of amps. My previous post focused on the Vacuum Fluorescent Display technology/NuTube 6P1. This post gives press releases from last year and this regarding the MV50 models.

The following press release from January 2018 dealt not only with the release of new models of the MV50, the Boutique (Dumble) and High Gain models, but also with the MVX150 series, and even two guitars, the Starstream Type-1 Plus and Giulietta Series. I have edited out the references to the guitars for the purposes of this post, but kept the references to the MVX150 series, since that is an extension of the MV50 line, also with NuTube technology. The link provided to Premier Guitar's web page on this will give you access to the other information should you desire it.

dotpc and Durberville like this.
  6. LGOberean

Okay, one more (for now? :oops:) information-based post...

On a Korg page of FAQs about NuTube, one answers the question of how long the NuTube can be expected to last.

Now, last year in some thread that I'd have to search for now (that's why I'm thinking it's a good idea to locate information-based posts here, early on in this thread), someone challenged the claim that 30,000 hours could be a definitive answer. The reasoning was that the NuTube technology is too new.

With respect, that's not entirely accurate. While it is true that the application of this technology is new, the basic technology itself is not. This is clarified in another Korg page about NuTube:

So while VFD technology has only been used/re-purposed for audio applications for the last few years, the technology itself was invented half a century ago. Plenty of time to have some real world examples of the service life of the VFD. Furthermore, said service life is determined by the nature of the phosphor, the color and display brightness. Note the following quote of Andrew Stubbings, UK Director of Noritake-Itron, in the Handbook of Visual Display Technology:

Since the Korg/Noritake NuTube 6P1 uses the kind of phosphor that produces the "more common green" color with a less "vivid" display, it is a well-known and quantifiable matter to say that the service life of the tube will be 30,000.

[​IMG]

Think about what that means in terms of playing. Say you plug into your MV50 and play for two hours. And let's say that you do that every day. Of every week. In the course of a year, that equates to 728 hours of playing time on that MV50. Now that's a fair amount of usage in my book.

But it's but a fraction of those 30,000 hours. You would have to keep up that pace of usage for 41 years to approach the limits of the 'expected service life' of the NuTube. Basically, at this point in my life, that little piece of technology has a longer life expectancy than I do. (I'm 64, and I think it unlikely that I will live to 105. In fact, the way I feel some days, I wouldn't want to! ;))

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Durberville likes this.
  7. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

LGOberean, Durberville and perttime like this.
  8. LGOberean

Cool! Thanks for posting this. I read last year several FAQs on the Korg website (https://korgnutube.com/en/faq/) about the availability of the Nutube 6P1. Nice to have this current information, including its availability at the price (with VAT) of £31.57 = $44.45.

Not to derail this thread too much from Vox MV50 ownership to Nutube technology and its applications elsewhere, but since you brought up pedals, has anyone tried the Ibanez Nu Tubescreamer?

Durberville likes this.
  9. Rob Brown

Rob Brown NEW MEMBER!

Just adding my 2c here. I moved over to using the MV50 clean as my main amp for the last couple months.

Things I love about it:
    • heaps of volume
    • great bass response
    • compact, simple unit
    • sounds like a large amp
    • graceful sweet break up when pushed hard
    • great pedal platform

Things I dislike about it:
    • week high end treble detail, I went through three different speakers to try get enough highs out of it. Don’t pair the clean with a greenback it’s way too dark. I settled for a V30

• the treble knob increases the volume of frequencies where I don’t necessarily want it too. Sort of arround 1k to 2.5k (I’m guessing here)

•The elbow power connector gets in the way of the switches on the back.

• The direct/headphone out sounds very harsh with drive. Might sound better into an external speaker sim of sorts.

So my conclusion for if you are considering one: Don’t expect it to sound anything like a Vox normal channel. It does not do chime. If you like high end be prepared to boost high end with an EQ pedal or on one of your drive pedals. But with that aside it does the fender clean sound really well especially for that smooth bluesy sound. It can also handle high gain pedals pretty well. I’d say it’s a pretty good flat sounding amp that you can color however you want. But don’t expect a lot of diversity from the amp itself.

I think I’m more a Vox guy than a fender guy tone wise. I might need to give the AC version a try.

Hope that helps someone

10. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I've been using mine quite a lot for gigging in the last few months too , it's helped that I got the vox bc112 cab which sounds really good .
    I normally have the eq switch set to low all the time as this really helps kick out some bass . I don't like the power supply either and those switches are fiddly .
    I just wish it had a built in digital reverb for a more plug in and play . Maybe they will if they make a mkii.

11. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

One cool thing I discovered about the MV50; no ground loop if you parallel it with another amp. I needed an amp to power my talkbox for some '70s rock at my upcoming 40th high school reunion. My first choice was my MuchXS Champ head, but the ground loop hum was annoying. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Radial A/B/Y switch with an isolation transformer to kill the loop, but really didn't want to spend the bucks for two songs in a one-off gig.

Then I remembered the MV50. With its isolated DC power supply, it doesn't create a ground loop. I have the "Rock" model, which generates plenty of dirt at any volume, so I can adjust the output to suit the talkbox. I just use a passive Y connector to split the signal to both amps, then switch my stage amp off and on with the mute button on my tuner.

I agree with Rob Brown (Welcome, Rob!) about the right-angle power connector; it's a pain when you reach over the top, trying to find the power switch without looking. I've read that the power supply and connector are the same as what a particular brand of laptop uses (Lenovo, maybe?) I've been wanting a spare power supply for my MV50, and will look for one with a straight connector on it.

Durberville likes this.
  12. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I've emailed korg about getting another power supply as a backup but have never heard back from them .
    I've also used the line out from my Roland blues cube hot straight into the mv50 clean , and it sounded quite good , will try a stereo set up when I get a chance.

13. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I know this question wasn’t directed at me, but I spend too much time thinking about speakers and cabinets, so it’s bound to come out somewhere.

The “simplest” way to get a 4 ohm nominal impedance with the greatest diversity of speaker choice would be a cabinet with 2 speakers, each 8 ohms, wired in parallel.

There are single 4 ohm speakers available for sale, your choices are much more limited though. You could also wire four 16 ohm speakers in parallel to wind up with a 4 ohm load, but cabinets that big seem to have fallen out of fashion.

It is possible that Vox sells a 4 ohm cabinet to pair with the MV50 amps, and it is possible that you’d love its sound. But if you want to go down the speaker rabbit hole, I’m here to stump for 2x cabinets. I have a 2x15” and two 2x12” at the moment, and am probably only a cheap used 10” speaker away from talking myself into building a 2x10”.

If the voltage and plug polarity match, and the max. amperage is at least as much as the amount listed on the Vox’s, it should work properly. But I’m not speaking from firsthand experience with the MV50 here, so take this comment for what it’s worth.

BB likes this.
  14. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

The power supply for my old HP laptop says : 18.5V 3.5A 65W Max. Not sure if the cable would fit as-is.

And there's an even older laptop that has 19V 65W Max.

Durberville likes this.
  15. LGOberean

Thanks for that. Though my question was directed to sluglas/the OP, we haven't heard from him since his starting this thread, so I'll take answers/input from anyone that can give me some insight.

Part of the appeal of the MV50 is the 50 watts part. (Another appealing aspect, of course, is having that output power in such an ultra light package.) So though in many of my projected applications 25 watts would be sufficient, I want the full capability of the amp's output. Accordingly, I am interested in achieving that 4 ohm load.

Trouble is, what speaker cabinet out there comes wired for a 4Ω load? I would like as lightweight a cab as I can get, so I was hoping for a 1x12". But a 1x12" wired for 4 ohms capable of handling 50 watts? Does that exist? You mentioned options involving the DYI approach, but I have neither the materials, the tools nor the skills to make that happen myself. So that's not really an option for me. I think I've come up with a couple of ways of getting speaker configurations that will give me the 50 watts I'm seeking.

1) Getting the package deal of $270 for an MV50 and the BC108 cab. Then follow that up with the purchase of the BC112, and I'd have a half stack of sorts. Daisy-chaining the two 8Ω cabs would give me the 4Ω load, no? (The BC112 seems to have availability issues, so it may not be available when I'm ready to buy. In that case, I'd go with another 1x12" 8Ω cab. I guess I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.)

2) Go with a 2x12" wired for mono/stereo operation. The front-runner so far that I've found is the Bugera 212TS. The primary drawback to this option is the weight: 46.4 lbs. That aside, though, it's not that heavy for a 2x12". And the price is right: $230. It's wired for 8 ohms (Stereo), 4 ohms/16 ohms (Mono), so I can get the full range of capability out of it. And it gets very good reviews.

Durberville likes this.
  16. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Certainly not the most cost effective solution, but you could get a 1x12” and replace the speaker with an Eminence Texas Heat 4 ohm version. 150w power handling. Or look for a cabinet builder willing to build you a 1x12” around the Texas Heat.

Ah, I think you can also buy Warehouse’s speakers in 4 ohm versions, and they have more than one speaker option that’ll handle 50+ Watts.

LGOberean likes this.
  17. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I've got to say even at 8ohm (25w) my mv50 clean is really loud , in fact it's never been above half way and it's always unmiked. I have tried the line out , sounds great clean , not so with dirt.

indiobravo likes this.
  18. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

I havn't bought one yeat...but are hanged up on amp wheight. I think 2x10" is the way to go. Gives you so many more speakers to choose from. Eg. Eminence legend alnico at 1,2kg....some relly light plywood and I may have something extremely light.

19. fitflatpicker

fitflatpicker TDPRI Member

I wonder if they had to release a variety of versions because they couldn’t get the clean to break up nicely and the rock to sound clean nicely, etc...

My ac sounds nice with its native drive tones, i can get the clean to sound just fine with a ts9, but do not like its native drive sound at all through the line out.

For using my mv50’s direct, I have a Neunaber iconoclast (dc powered) after the mv50’s to address eq issues and I run that into a radial DI Box to prevent any potential for ground problems. It’s a complicated solution, but a functionally complete one...

I’m enjoying hearing everyone’s body of knowledge on this subject. Thanks for sharing!

Durberville likes this.
  20. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

If I was to design a mv50 it would be 2 channel clean /Ac with digital reverb, built in power supply , I'd also get rid of the pointless meter on the front.

dotpc and fitflatpicker like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.