Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

118 EU in my country... bought the AC in a wink! They had all three (first) versions...

And here it is! So now have two different situations in this "miniRig" Vox vs Fender...
    Both great sounding through my pine cab & Ragin' Cajun inside...
    redus 2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have an MV50 AC and a Mini Super Beetle (head only) which I purchased used. I can safely say they are pretty much the same with the MSB having 2 tone controls, reverb and tremolo in addition to the standard MV50 AC setup. I was really enjoying the MSB until it seems to recently have given out on me. It makes an alternating period of total silence followed by a moderate pop and a short period of a few seconds when it works and then off it goes again. The off times seem to be longer than the on times. It is not the power supply - I tried the identical one from the MV50 and it did the same thing. The power light stays on continually. The power cable is firmly inserted and all the switches are fully in the correct position. I suspect the culprit may be in the auto-off circuit. Just curious if anyone in this forum has experienced anything similar. If so and it somehow was fixed, what was done to it to fix it?

3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I don't have the SB, nor have I experienced this problem on my Clean. But I read once that if you crank one of these MV50's for an extended period while running it into a 16 ohm load, it can overheat. It has some thermal protection I believe that kicks in, but I am not sure whether that would account for the symptoms you are having, nor do I know if you are running into a 16 ohm cab.

4. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

You can disable this circuit with the ECO switch on the rear of the unit.

5. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions but the ECO was off and I don't have a 16 ohm cab nor do I crank it up - only used at home.

6. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Well then it sounds like you have a defective MV50.

indiobravo likes this.
  7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm jealous of all y'all** that have stores with even some of the MV50 series amps. I've pretty much given up on my local GC, and it says something to me that they can be found in Bucharest before they appear in Corpus Christi, Texas. :(:rolleyes:

** Yes, I'm a native born Texan, and I've lived here pert' near all my life. :twisted:

guitarmikey likes this.
  8. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

My GC also doesn't carry them in stock. Its so silly, but it's the way that they manage their inventory centrally.

Your best bet would be to buy it from a mail order retailer that accepts returns. I am an Amazon Prime member, so I can easily return virtually anything. I try to buy most things from Amazon because of this luxury. Check with your retailer of choice, and see what their return policy is.

9. guitarmikey

I can't say "Move to Romania!", but... you can take as an invitation... (have a lot of friends that moved to US...)
    As someone mentioned, Amazon might be a great idea.

10. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Just spent a couple hours playing the MV50 Clean into my new homemade 112 cabinet with an old Cannabis Rex in it - it's my new fave amp, hands down. The homemade cab, loaded, weighs 18 lb, so I have a 20 lb gig-ready clean amp that takes pedals great and sounds good on any setting (not like there are a lot of setting, har). I love the fact that it sounds great quiet or loud. Going to see if this takes over from my Katana 100 for live use next. Sure sounds great, the size and weight are just bonuses.

11. guitarmikey

...changed my mind a little bit. Still sounds great witth Ragin' Cajun, but, seems to be more Voxy sounding with a Fender Special Design, or even a Celestion I have. You know, that characteristically voxy chime comes to life on Celestion or FSD, anyway, much better than with RC... still an amazing amp in such a cute form...

12. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

SO:::: I was using my Mv50 clean at rehearsal today, second time I've used it. Into an 8 ohm 112 cab, volume less than 1/2. About 1.5 hours into rehearsal it started losing power - it didn't shut off entirely but I lost about 90% of the volume. Ended up using the line out to the mixer to get through rehearsal. I guess I'll have to return it? It seems like maybe this is a known issue - wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is some kind of a fix. Kind of nixes my idea of using it for gigs....

13. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Don’t get gun shy. Several of us here have them and use them at rehearsals and gigs without issue. Mine has been rock solid. You just got a bad one. Maybe a bad NuTube. Stuff happens. Get the amp replaced, and rock on.

14. Seamus42

Seamus42 TDPRI Member

Hi all -- new to the board, but I've been asking loads of questions over at the AC10 owners' thread. Been trying to decide between an MV50 or an AC10 because I have to have as light as possible.

I rehearsed with the MV50 AC through the speaker of my Vintage 47 amp, an 8-inch hemp cone. It just absolutely wasn't cutting it tonewise for jazz, though I've long sneaked by playing jazz on my AC30 (no longer an option at 85 pounds!). I was really displeased. Better results through my AC30's 2 12s, but still boxy and brittle and not right to my ears.

Since then, I've tried a new trick -- I went out of the line out on the MV50 into my acoustic amp (an Ashdown Acoustic Radiator). Good Lord, what a difference, with a few tweaks of the amp knobs. The lows are huge and warm now, and the high-end, which was quacky and unpleasant, is now smooth and usable.

It's kind of a lot of trouble to go to unless you already have a setup with full-range speakers, but I can't recommend it highly enough. Really brought this thing to life. I may or may not keep it, but I now feel like the amp's full potential is kind of hampered by how it's usually used with just powering a speaker. At least for clean tones -- overdriven, it had no such issues to my ears.

dswo likes this.
  15. guitarmikey

Interesting option, Seamus42. Opinions are that line-out isn't the best use for this tiny amp.
    I really like mine through RC, my Fender Special Design or Celestion speakers. All of them 8 oHms. Have to connect two of them and try the 16 oHm...

16. perttime

perttime Friend of Leo's

If you want light, you should see if you can get a Toob speaker in your hands:

17. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

I uunderstand that the MV50 clean works very well with effects pedals, how well does it work with amp modelling pedals/units ?

18. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I haven't tried any, but I have been tempted. I have been thinking about the HX Stomp, mainly because of its size. I can't imagine that any clean platform would have trouble with a modeling unit though.

a wobblin likes this.
  19. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I use a Joyo American Sound, always on. I feel the MV50 kinda needs something like this, and a texture pedal, like reverb or delay etc, otherwise it's a bit nondescript. Some love it as is though. Like sliberty said, I'm sure it would eat up a modelling unit too.

a wobblin likes this.
  20. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

49F69271-8079-451C-8C9D-77723CF8F06A.jpeg Got mine today, only tried it with Grado open back phones so far, intitial impression is excellent, contrary to the manual the attenuator does make a difference with headphones, this allows a touch of break up at lower volumes.
    If not careful it could slip around a bit..any ideas how to keep it in one place ?

Mr Scallywag likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.