1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Welcome and congratulations!

I love my Clean as well, and have gigged it. My advise (not that you asked) is to pay more attention to the SPL (sensitivity) than the impedance of the speaker you choose. I have a cabinet with a 4 ohm Emi, and another cabinet with an 8 ohm JBL, and the JBL is louder despite the 25 watt output. And of course the JBL sounds glorious.

JeffBlue and Durberville like this.
  2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Stupid Deal of the Day alert (Oct 26) -- MV50 Rock for $119.

guitarmikey and Durberville like this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I saw that. That sale tempted me. When I told my wife about it, her reaction surprised me: she excitedly asked "Did your order it?" She knew I've been interested in them, and 45% price reduction sounded good to her. I explained to her that I didn't, because it wasn't the version of the MV50 I had previously been GASing for, and because I still don't have a cab to run it through (or even a pair of headphones, at present).

But the sale did make me want to research again its tones, to see if it might possibly give me enough clean headroom to be usable for my purposes. They MV50s are still not available locally, so I have yet to actually try one. So, I revisited various YouTube videos to see how much headroom could be had. Of course, the player's touch will have a lot to do with how much pretty and how much gritty can be coaxed out of this little amp. And controlling volume from the guitar plays a part (pun intended). But ultimately, from what I can gather from videos, Gain has to be kept at 9 o'clock or under, and Volume no more than noon to stay clean. So I let the temptation on that deal pass. I passed GAS, I guess you could say. :rolleyes:

But this has made me think again of the MV50 line. And although I don't have a cab to run one into, I do have a powered speaker (Alto TS310) I use for a PA system. So without buying a cab right away, I could run out from the MV50's "Phones/Line" out to the powered speaker.

I've been following this thread since day one, and I remember at times people chiming in about this "Phones/Line" feature on the rear panel. IIRC, the comments generally haven't been favorable. But maybe it's less negative than I'm remembering, and more of a mixed review. I could use the search feature and go back through the comments here again.

Maybe I'll do that eventually, but for now I'll just ask again what your individual impressions/observations are about using the Line out to a PA, not only for gigging purposes, but just at home as well, since that mode would be all I have available to me, at least initially.

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

If you are in the market for a Clean, and if you don't mind used gear, the Guitar Center in East Brunswick NJ (where I live) has a used MV50 Clean for $119. I tried to get them down to $100, but they told me to go jump (nicely). I really don't need it anyway as I already have a Clean, although for $100, a spare would have been cool. Anyway, if you don't live locally, you'll have to pay shipping, but $119 plus shipping is still a good deal if you are in the market for one. You can buy it on the GC website in the used section. Search for MV50 (don't type Clean because the ad is incorrectly titled "Rock"). But I have seen and played the amp - it is a Clean, and the photo shows that too.

Hopefully one of you will grab it.

Durberville and tce63 like this.
  5. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

I am not with my MV50 AC right now but does the line/headphone out work without cutting the speaker output?. So if I am onstage I can send a signal to the mixer but still have my 1x10 - 1x8 cab working?

6. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

My brother picked up a MV50 Rock on stupid deal of the day, I was a bit surprised cause he generally likes clean amps, but he's been using it on some gigs and he says with the gain almost all the way down + vol at 11:00 it's just like using a pro Jr. We both used pro Jrs for years not the cleanest amp but great for bar gigs

7. TheFifth

TheFifth Tele-Meister

My lovely wife bought me an MV50AC for my birthday today, so I’m joining the club!

Only tried it briefly at home through an 8ohm 1x12 Marshall cab and I have to say it’s really loud! Couldn’t crank it as we have neighbours to worry about, but I turned the master up to 3 o’clock and the gain to 12 o’clock briefly and hit a couple of chords. Nearly blew my head off! Sounded great too. When playing live we always mic the cabs and try to keep the stage volume down, so I can’t see that I’d need anything more than the 25 watts at 8ohms. I’ll take it to practice next week and give it a proper run.

Not sure it’ll replace my blues junior as my regular gigging amp, but for a stereo rig or a backup, first impressions are excellent. I’m impressed!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Durberville likes this.
  8. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic

Picked up the MV50AC along with the bc112-150. WOW. It's quickly becoming my fav amp

tce63 likes this.
  9. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Any second impressions? How did your AC perform at practice?

10. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I picked up the clean at the w/e. I'm finding it loves single coils but with HBs it's a bit muffled, even with the treble maxed out. Anyone else get this?

11. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I almost never use a totally clean amp without any pedals, so that might be why, but I am not experienced a muffled tone. In fact, I just came back from the weekly blues jam, and the tone I got from my Clean through a 1x12 open back loaded with a Texas Heat, pushed by a Mosky Amp Turbo was just stellar. I was using clean-ish rhythm tones from the overdrive (Timmy) side, and pushing that with the boost side for solos. Was playing an Epi LP Standard Plus Top Pro with Probuckers.

Mr Scallywag likes this.
  12. JSimon

JSimon TDPRI Member

First Post on the forum but I've been a lingerer for a while.

Gonna get one of these MVs very soon, hopefully some black Friday deals will surface.

Wondering if anyone with experience/knowledge could help me out with some opinions. I like to play clean most of the time, currently I use my ac15 (miced) for my clean sound as I love the vox cleans. And I have a champ clone for some growl, which I sometimes stereo with the ac15.
    I'm getting really tired of lugging the ac15 around to gigs though, so I am looking for the Mv50 that can get me the best (for me) clean sound. I've ruled out the clean version as it's got more of the fender clean sound, which I don't want.

I've tried them all out and I'm torn between the AC and the boutique. The AC will probably get me closest to my ac15 clean sound, but the boutique clean sounds so good!

Opinions please. (At first both will be run through my champs 8inch speaker, then will eventually get the bc 108,( I love the sound of 8s))

13. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to the forum :)

14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

AC doesn't have much clean headroom. But if you are micing up, maybe that doesn't matter to you. Personally I love the MV50 Clean with a very mild (clean-ish) overdrive. I use the Timmy or the Emerson Paramount depending on my mood. I can get that nice chimey clean that reminds me of my (sold) AC15 and (sold) AC10. The boutique is unlikely to sound very Voxy as it is Fender/Dumble inspired. It sounds great in the videos I've seen, but not Voxy to my ears.

15. JSimon

JSimon TDPRI Member

I too have been pondering selling the ac15, but I won't as its still the king and very useful at times.
    The boutique isn't entirely voxy in its cleans or dirt you're right. But when I tried one out it had that mid/high end "sparkle" that I look for in cleans. Not exactly the vox chime jangle but similar in some ways and very nice.

16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I am sure you know this already, but keep in mind that the Clean is the only one with a Bass pot. The AC, and the Super Beetle are both fairly light on bottom end (can't speak for the Boutique - the stores near me haven't gotten one in stock). The Bass pot is very useful and very usable, and in my book, a big advantage of the Clean over the rest. But as always, it really depends on what your needs are.

dswo likes this.
  17. JSimon

JSimon TDPRI Member

The bass dial on the clean can be useful, obviously depending on the tone you want. Have that control is not essential to me as a lot of the time when playing clean, I'm fighting to get rid of low end. Don't know if anyone else has this problem, but often I struggle to get the low end to sit nicely in the mix (the mix here being overall tone)

I will wait a week and see if any deals come up and then report my experience with the mv50 I chose.

18. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

BTW - there is currently a used AC on eBay for $133 + $6 shipping. You snooze, you lose.

19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Evertime I play through my MV50 Clean.......I look over at and shake my head. Such power and excellent tone from this tiny thing just blows my mind.

20. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

It's not a deal breaker but it's definitely there for me. I even tried single coils with a push/pull and it does the same thing when switched, slicing a sliver of top end off, more pronounced on the bass strings. There's still a lot to like about this little guy, but I still feel like the size and tech is a major selling point, and I'm trying to not let that distract too much from the tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.