Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Yea, a lot cheaper. It's not meant for guys like me (music is a passion, not a career). I can spend that kind of money to mess around at home or to gig at a dive bar (don't get me wrong, I like dive bars).

My limit for a device like that would be maybe $300. But $1400 ain't happening. That's why I have the Radar. It's not the same, or nearly as good, but it's ok for my needs.

2. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Understandable... im like you. Thats why im so greatfull for the mv50. Even though it is, not a 100% perfect product, i hope Vox release a v.2 series that still is small but with more/better features.

I tried a few ”real” tube amps, mostly mini types in the 10-20 watt range, but it was still to expensive and to big for me.

Say... do you use the mooer radar on the line out or on the input of the mv50? What im thinking is that the mooer will have to process an IR from the line out because we cant turn of the IR... and infront the mooer will go into the eq section of the amp wich is not ideal either.... i think...

Durberville likes this.
  3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I really didn’t get the Mooer to use it with the MV50. My plan was to use it into the PA. But, I did try it coming off of the MV50 line out and it sounded good. I’d probably want to try some new IRs though.

I wouldn’t think it would make sense going into the front of a guitar amp. A power amp, sure.

Durberville and the tool like this.
  4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I went to visit my local guitar center today, and was shocked to find that the Mini Super Beetle was on the showroom floor. I grabbed a nice Blackguard Tele, and plugged her in. I liked the reverb, I liked the separate Bass and Treble controls, I liked the gain levels, I liked the Trem. What I didn't like is the lack of a footswitch jack, the teeny-tiny power switch (marked standby), and most importantly, I didn't like the cabinet. The bass response really just wasn't sufficient. Shame. Its so cute. I'll stick to my 1x12 cabinet and my MV50 Clean or my MV50 AC.

Durberville likes this.
  5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

A couple of days ago, on my way home from an afternoon gig, I stopped by the local GC. I was specifically looking for either the Mini Super Beetle or an MV50. No such luck. As I was told some time back, they got in an MV50 when they first came out, sold it almost immediately, and haven't had them in since. The kid I asked about the MSB25 didn't even know it existed. :(

As for your experience with the MSB, the lack of a footswitch jack is disappointing to me as well, but I could live with that. It's more disappointing to hear that you found the bass response on the MSB cab insufficient. Do you prefer 1x12" cabs to 1x10" in general? Might this reaction be a matter of the 1x10" MSB cab suffering in comparison to your usual rig? Vox didn't consult me on their choice of speakers :rolleyes:, but if they had, I would have opted for a 1x12".

6. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

hi sliberty,
    I'm a happy owner of the MV50 Clean too! I'd like to couple it with the AC version, but this Mini Beetle sounds interesting. How do they compare in your opinion (mv50 ac and mini beetle)?
    I don't need trem or reverb, I'm curious about the "core" sound of the amps!

bye

Durberville likes this.
  7. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

While I do prefer 12's to 10's, I don't think that is issue. I used to own an AC10, and it more than enough bass for my taste. I suspect that the 10" speaker in the AC10 is the same as the one in the Super Beetle, although I am not positive of this. I think it had more to do with the cabinet than my preference for 12's or the specific speaker installed.

8. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I find the AC to be lacking some bass. The fact that it has just a single tone control, as compared with the separate bass and treble of the Clean, you just don't have the direct control that I would prefer. The MSB does have the separate bass and treble, but due to the cabinet (I think) even cranking up the bass pot leaves me wanting more.

Frankly if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't buy the MV50 AC. The Clean gives me everything I want, and the AC is a little less aligned with my needs. Very nice amp, but I am in a "use pedals for my tone" place these days, and the AC isn't as good at that.

Durberville likes this.
  9. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Thx for the feedback, I'll stick to my ac15cc1 to record my overdriven stuff for a bit longer!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

You might like the Boutique....I think it is voiced a little "rounder" than the AC is. I haven't played one yet, but the YouTube videos from Greg'sGuitars on this amp sound really good. Of course, he has an amazing touch, so it might be more him than the amp :)

Here is one example, but there are more:

Note, I think that is a 2x12 Vox cabinet with Celestion Blues.

Durberville likes this.
  11. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

Has anyone tried their MV50 AC with a 4ohm Patriot Texas Heat?, sounds like a good match!

12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I have bought a 4 ohm Texas Heat specifically to use with my MV50's. It is a good sounding speaker, and works well in this application. Full stop.

However, I prefer my 8 ohm JBL K120, and even my 8 ohm Celestion / Line 6 G12H90 speaker. The sensitivity rating on the Texas Heat is lower than the JBL (99dB vs. 101dB), and so even though I am getting 50 watts with the TH in theory, it seems louder through the 8 ohm JBL at 25 watts.

And all of the speakers leave me feeling like I wish the MV50 AC has separate bass and treble controls.

If you are thinking about the Texas Heat because you can get it in 4 ohms, consider looking at some nice 8 ohm speakers with higher sensitivity ratings instead. It will open up more options for you to choose from, and you really won't lose any volume. It might even be louder.

Remember 3dB is twice as loud (perceived). Twice the wattage is NOT anywhere near twice as loud. So I'd rather add 2dB than add 25 watts in this case.

13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

MV50 Rock is MF SDOTD today at $119.

14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Probably because this is the least popular model. Good price though.

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, last month MF had a special on the Rock version + the BC108 for $149.99.

16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I took my MV50 Clean to the blues jam tonight. In the past, I've been bringing my MV50 AC, and the CLean was getting used mainly with my band, But this time, the Clean got a workout at the blues jam, and all I can say is that for me, the Clean does it all. If anyone has interest in an almost new AC, please private msg me for a good deal.

I may just buy a second Clean as a backup. Love this amp.

con brio likes this.
  17. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

I thought it was the mini cabinet at first. If that was the case your singer would have to be doll-sized.

Durberville likes this.
  18. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

New owner here - MV50 Clean version. I bought it after playing it in the store just briefly and I like it at home through my own stuff even better. Wow, I really really like it! I won't say it sounds "just like" a nice Twin or get into whether it's "really" a tube amp or not because I don't much care. I love love love how it sounds, how it works with my guitars and pedals, the size weight and price are just bonuses.
    I have no doubt I'll end up gigging with it, I just don't know what cab I want for it or what speakers.

Durberville likes this.
  19. tfarny

This is really interesting and has got me thinking about what kind of cabinet / speakers will work best.
    I am going to build an open back cab and house a C Rex I am not currently using. I will probably size the cab so it could fit a 210 config though. I am wondering if 2 8 ohm 10" Emi Legends wired for 4 / 16 ohm switchable would get me where I want - a big Vintage Fendery sound, plenty of volume, inexpensive, still very light weight. 2 10" speakers have about 50% more cone volume than a 112, PLUS the amp is theoretically putting 50 watts into them instead of 25 into a more-efficient C rex. "gig volume" for me means dead clean, not miked, medium-powered drummer, small / medium bar settings. I'm sure this little guy can do that much into any decent speaker combo.

20. tfarny

Also want to add that I like it as an acoustic guitar amp better than the acoustic setting on the Katana. Acceptable sound with the right DI pedal, we'll see how it does at higher volumes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.