1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Strange...

Never happened to me... I use my Clean once a week in band practice at high volumes, about 10-11 o'clock, through an 2x12 8 ohm cab. We usually play for 3 hours. Amp is always on, no Eco mode.

On thing that have happened a few times though is when im home and using it with the line out for headphone practice. Suddenly some weird clipping happens with hard attack, its not the nutube clipping, its something else... if I then power off and on the amp, its normal again. This has happened a few times.

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Yea, who knows. It was more an annoyance than anything, but would be a problem at gig for sure. I’ve never noticed that at all at 8ohms.

Good idea on the “reset”! I’ll remember that.

the tool likes this.
  3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

There is a problem that Vox acknowledges on a note that comes with the amps where running the MV50 at high volume (near max I believe) into a 16 ohm load, the amp will shut off. I believe this is thermal protection. The amp problem runs much hotter into 16 ohms, especially when cranked.

-Hawk- Your situation is not quite the same as this of course, but might be related. If these amps are not reliable into 16 ohms, that is both unfortunate, and false advertising. I am running at either 8 ohms or 4 ohms, so I don't think it will be a problem I encounter (I hope). But I would recommend you contact Vox Support and see what they say.

As for the rest of your report -- right on ! :)

-Hawk- likes this.
  4. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Crazy thinking...

Would be overly difficult to rehouse a mv50 into a larger (about same size) pedal enclosure?

Make the knobs top mounted, turn the input to the right, use the original enclosure as a guide for the backside stuff. No vu meter. Smaller glass panel closer to the tube....

Just a fantasy... but it might work without doing any harm to the stuff.

A bigbox mxr type of enclosure? I think the volume/eq knob board is connected to the main board with cables, could be turned up maybe...

5. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I know a lot of people want to put these amps on a pedalboard. But for my taste, I’d rather not run a 30 foot speaker cable from my pedalboard to my cabinet. I am very content putting the MV50 in my backpack and setting on top of my cabinet.

But in the interest of full disclosure, I use wireless from my pedalboard to my amp.

the tool likes this.
  6. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Yep, i have mine on the board, a cioks and the adapter is under the board. Long speaker cable. Works great. Each to his own :)

I mostly do this, because I want to be as portable as possible, only carrying guitar and board. At home I can setup fast anywhere I need/want (kids and all) and mostly use headphones.

7. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

Nickadermis likes this.
  8. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

That price is nuts. Although, to be honest, I wouldn't want the Rock head OR the 8" speaker cabinet. Thankfully. Otherwise my GAS would get the better of me. :)

I wonder if they've both been discontinued....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    tce63 likes this.
  9. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

I am still surprised that we haven't seen multi effects pedals with a class D amp built right in. I figured it would be the logical evolution of the species.

10. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

Like bringing back the Tonelab LE that could put out 50 watts at 4ohms

11. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Already done but in a head format:

http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201709221979.html

lareplus likes this.
  12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

What am I supposed to do with 15 watts Class D?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  13. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

I had a brief opportunity to kick the tires of a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 with my Clean and 210 can a couple of nights back. Normally I don’t bother trying out things in the screamer family as I just can’t seem to make them work but this was different, absolutely killed.

14. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I'm using mine as a direct in to the PA tonight as the venue has said no amps, I've used it once before for bass , sounded great .

15. Alonious_Monk

Alonious_Monk Tele-Meister

Was intrigued by this the MV50 series, as with my 2x8 cab it'd be the ultimate portable rig, but my cab is 16ohms so 12.5w isn't going to go very far unfortunately

Durberville likes this.
  16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Replace the speaker in your cabinet. I’m not a fan of 8” speakers but if it works for you, that’s your solution.

17. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I usually practice and gig with my Quilter stuff, but every once in a while I break out the MV50 AC at home into my 4ohm 2x12 and it rocks. It's so simple and dynamic I never want to use pedals with it, but sometimes I wonder how a treble booster would sound with it, maybe get some Rory Gallagher strat type sound going on. I don't have a treble booster though...

Durberville likes this.
  18. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I used my vox mv50 line out only last night at a wedding gig where no amps were allowed on stage , it sounded ok , not as good as the line out on my blues cube hot , which sounds really like a miced amp , it was fine if a little harsh .

19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Is the line out speaker emulated? Even if it is, I am sure its not a good speaker sim, but rather, just a little fixed eq'ing. I have a Mooer Radar IR loader pedal, but I haven't tried it with the MV50 line out yet. Maybe that's the ticket for those times when you can't have a complete amp on stage.

Durberville likes this.
  20. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Yes it is. But Vox doesnt really say anything about it. Ime its passable, but requires some eq tweaking because it doesnt handle dirt very well. For its ok, i mostly use headphones at home with it.

If only that Ox box thing was cheaper....

Durberville likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.