1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Understandable... As I also pointed out... They should have gone "premium" on the cab matter.

A high end 1x12 cab pushing 4 ohm.

To my knowledge, theres nothing really different between the Night Train cabs and the MV cabs. Anyone who know better can correct me.

My 1x12 at home is a Night Train matching cab and it really doesn't look much different from the MV cabs.

They could have continued with the NT cabs, and offered a premium cab with a Texas Heat speaker or Jensen type speaker. If they were Celestion tied, even they have a single 4 ohm speaker.... well well... what to do right?

LGOberean likes this.
  2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

It’s all marketing.

Ignore the marketing, and evaluate the products.

I mostly use an MV50 Clean with an 8 ohm speaker, and it is plenty loud (all this applies to the AC as well, which I also own). I gigged it recently and it performed beautifully for my needs. At the gig, I was using a JBL loaded cabinet, and that JBL is a very loud speaker (high SPL). At rehearsals, I use a Velestion made speaker, and although it doesn’t support as high if an SPL, it is still great for my needs.

I don’t have the Vox cabinets, but I am sure they are great. But they aren’t the only game in town, and I seriously doubt that they were “optimized” for the MV50 (just more ignorable marketing in my opinion).

There aren’t nearly as many good 4 ohm speakers as there are good 8 ohm speakers available to buy. So my advise continues to be get an 8 ohm cabinet with a good SPL, or get an empty cab and buy the 8 ohm speaker of your choice. This will result in a great sounding rig with tons of volume. But if having a Vox cabinet is important to you for the looks of it, then get the one they sell now with hat 150 watt Celestion (Red Back?). If will be great too.

Don’t overthink this. The MV50 will be plenty loud and very good sounding thru almost any 8 ohm cabinet.

con brio likes this.
  3. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Thats interesting! Never knew that there are few good 4 ohm speakers... thought they’re like equally good just for different setups...

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I don’t think I would say that 8 ohm speakers are BETTER than 4 ohm speakers. It’s just that there are so many more choices for 8 ohms. And because of the choices, you can get some excellent speakers in 8 ohms that just aren’t available in 4 ohms.

the tool likes this.
  5. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

There is a theory among some amp geeks of which I count myself (a little) that if your tube amp has 16, 8 and 4 ohm settings, that the best tone will be achieved when using the 16 ohm setting because you are using all of the wire in the transformer winding, where as 8 ohms uses far less of the winding, and 4 ohms even less. Of course this is only relevant in tube amps. So tube amp guys might say that 16 ohm speaker loads are "best". YMMV.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  6. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Today i plugged in Mooer Black Secret (RAT clone) into MV50 and it sounded awesome. I already read about Black Secret pedal a lot on forums and it really sounds like RAT!

But the best part is that the MV50 Clean really handled it well. I'm guessing more that this amp is Fender voiced due to its compatibility with classic pedals like RAT, TS etc which compensates amp's midrange frequencies.

the tool likes this.
  7. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Yep, Rat sounds great with mv clean. For me it has been the best sounding distortion of the ones Ive tried with it.

8. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Looking for a cheap 1x12 cab to use with my MV50 clean. So far i have Harley Benton Vintage 1x12 and Blackstar HT 1x12 in my radar. Any suggestions?

9. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Those are cheap cabs, try them... its V30 in the HB cab, You need to get the Blackstar HTV 1x12 to get the V30 there, otherwise its the Bluebird speaker (might be ok).
    I think V30's Ok, they're not the best and they're not the worst.

One thing to consider... If the Blackstar cab with Bluebird is better built, it may sound better than the HB with V30.

I actually bought a 2x12 Vintage HB cab and installed the speakers in a old Vox 2x12 cab that had broken speakers....

Imho.. the HB cabs are OK, from a prize vs quality matter.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    ozan likes this.
  10. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

Take a look at Thomann on the Palmers Cab

Great quality, and great price, this one with Greenback

https://www.thomann.de/se/palmer_pcab112gbk.htm

the tool likes this.
  11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Egnater Tweaker and VHT Special 6 cabs are both affordable and well built.

MF has a sale right now and you could probably score a deal on either.

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I have been considering 1x12" cabs for some time now. I haven't decided yet, in part because I'm new to the cab thing (all my amps to this point have been combos). Of course, Vox has a couple in their Black Cabinet series that seems to be designed for the MV50s. They first came out with the BC112, with a Celestion V-type 12" 8 ohm speaker, rated power handling 70 watts RMS. Priced at $300.

More recently, Vox came out with the BC112-150, loaded with a Celestion G12H-150 Redback 12" 4 ohm speaker, rated power handling 1500 watts RMS. This cab seems to be designed for their MVX150 amps, but it would certainly work for an MV50 as well. $400.

But since you said "cheap," these may not be what you're looking for. A 1x12" cab that I've considered is the Bugera 112TS. Turbosound 12" 8 ohm speaker, rated for 80 watts. The cabinet construction is described as "Multi-ply Hardwood." FYI, it's a closed back construction cab, not open or semi-open like the Vox cabs. But it has received very favorable reviews, and the price is right at $160.

Just noticed you're in Istanbul. I'm not sure how these prices in American dollars compare to Turkish lira. I'm sure you are more familiar with those exchange rates. And I'm sure you're also more familiar with availability of such products in your country.

ozan likes this.
  13. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Many thanks for the suggestions. Yes currently we have an economic crisis here and 1 USD is almost 7 Turkish Liras which kinda sucks. That’s the main reason i’m looking for cheaper alternatives like Harley Benton etc.

Today i tried Bc112 model priced at 300$. Sounds really cool but i found it’s a bit heavy and over the budget. Maybe i should consider lighter alternatives like 10’ ones.

14. LGOberean

Hmm...according to Vox, the BC112 weighs 13.6 kg/29.98 lbs. According to the manual, the Bugera 112TS cab that I mentioned earlier weighs 13.3 kg/29.3 lbs. So it's not significantly lighter in weight.

However, it is significantly cheaper in price, by almost half: $160 vs. $300. And yet it gets very good reviews: 5 star rating (out of more than 20 reviews) on Sweetwater page; 4.8 stars (out of 5 reviews) on the Guitar Center page; 4.7 stars out of 22 reviews on Amazon; 4.4 stars (7 reviews) on Musician's Friend; etc. Again, it has closed back design, so it might sound different than the BC112 you tried, more directional/less ambient, perhaps tighter bass, etc.

Wow! A 1 to 7 exchange rate?!? I can see why you're looking for cheaper alternatives. Well, again, the Bugera falls into that category.

Durberville likes this.
  15. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

I think I've already posted this somewhere upthread, but if you can buy or make a 2x10 box, two Eminence Ragin Cajuns in parallel give you a 4 ohm load that draws the full 50 watts, is a manageable size, delivers sensitivity of 100.5dB and sounds really good. Highly recommended for the MV50.

Durberville, the tool and con brio like this.
  16. LGOberean

I remember you posting about that rig, albeit in a different thread...

BTW, can I ask you what that cab weighs?

17. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

I just weighed it, and it's 33.4 pounds. It's a pine box with a 1/2" plywood baffle and a half-closed back. It's finished in Duratex. It could have been a smidgen lighter, considering I used 2x2 pine boards along the long sides for baffle cleats. (It's a floating baffle with a 1/8" gap around the edges.)

I'm planning to rewire it this weekend to remove the switch. I'll just hard wire it at 4 ohms and do a cleaner job of it.

LGOberean and Durberville like this.
  18. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

If weight is an issue (I'm 65 also and can't do 50lb amps any longer), I suggest you try a cab fitted with a neodymium speaker(s). They are very light and, and I have seen a 1x12 neo cabinet advertised at 15lbs. Be warned though, they aren't cheap!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  19. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

Here's the most recent cab I built for the MV50AC. A Carvin VL10 on the bottom that is open backed and a Eminence Alpha 8A on top that is a sealed enclosure. Added the Earth name plate and Jack plate cause they have been hanging around for years. You can see it in action at a recent gig plenty loud enough ,didn't even have to mic it
    IMG_20180904_160403_hdr_kindlephoto-20720632.jpg IMG_20180904_160403_hdr_kindlephoto-20720632.jpg 35026565_2229901517023930_2687003777432551424_n.jpg

Attached Files:

20. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

A few notes on the MV50 Clean after a lot of home practice and a band rehearsal. One issue has come up that I’ll post about towards the end of this.

At home I’ve got it running through two 16ohm 1x12 cabinets for an 8ohm load. I think it sounds fantastic this way. It’s very loud and sounds better the louder it gets (I can’t go much past 11-12 o’clock without it being overkill).

Takes pedals extremely well, including reverb and delay. For drive I’m using a Mythical Overdrive and Karma Suture Silicon. The MO is just super - pushes all the right buttons for a classic crunch sound, especially with my Les Paul. The KS I use for heavier rhythms and singing lead sounds. For those that aren’t familiar with it, it’s a pretty unique pedal that can be a mild OD or exploding fuzz full or harmonics (which is how I usually run it). Lots of low end in that pedal, but I can keep it tight enough for what I am doing.

Bottom line is: at 8ohms it’s a great sound and a valuable practice amp. Keeps me from burning up tubes in my gigging amps I figure.

I took it to band practice last night, along with one 16ohm 1x12 cabinet. A few weeks back I noted that I felt like I had plenty of volume for that purpose and still stand by that (for my personal situation of course).

The problem I mentioned slowly came forward as the night went on, probably 90-100 minutes into practice, after the amp had been on for two hours or so (I set up before all others arrived).

I’d been running volume around 10-11 o’clock.

All of a sudden, the very big, but manageable low end from the Karma Suture just broke down into flubby, spitty crap. I adjusted the bass slider and knob, but it still sounded pretty terrible. Upper registers were fine however. The Mythical Overdrive was still good to go, but it seems to cut some low end anyway. Obviously I’ll check the pedal today, but my perception was that it was an amp problem and maybe I was cooking the preamp? I’m not an electronics wizard, so who knows.

Anyway, I probably won’t play it at 16ohms again. Bummer, because carrying my pedal case and a small cab is a treat compared to lugging my full rig.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.