1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Am I the only one go use the vox bc112 cabinet with my mv50? It's voiced specifically for it and although it's 8ohm, it's easily loud enough for anything I use it for , I've only ever got it up to half volume.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

You're talking about the 2017 Vox BC112 with the 12” Celestion V-Type speaker rated for 70 watts and an 8 ohm load, right? Not the 2018 version BC112-150, with a 12" Celestion G12H-150 Redback rated for 150 watts handling and 4 ohms?

The BC112s didn't seem to be available for very long. I could base that on what was in my local GC, but that's not necessarily a fair comparison. The local GC store typically is poorly stocked. But the BC112 soon were out of stock on the GC, MF and Sweetwater websites, and they didn't seem to ever get re-stocked.

Durberville likes this.
  3. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

It’s a great cab for sure, but for those of us who already have suitable cabs it’s a lot of extra money – and space – over the head by itself. The amps sound great through any suitable cab with good speakers too.

Durberville likes this.
  4. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Yes it was the 70w I was talking about , great speaker, and the way the cab is designed brings out the best of the speaker, I've tried a few other amps thru it too they all sound great

5. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Is that the same speaker Vox has been putting in the AC4C1-12 and the AC10C1 (yes I know that One is 10”, but same series anyway)? I had no complaints at all with those speakers, but many felt the need to,replace them with a Blue that cost almost as much as the amps themselves. Speaker zealots :)

6. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I've no idea, but I think it's a specially designed one , Could be wrong tho (I usually am [emoji23])

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I had gotten the same impression, that the speaker in the BC112 was "specifically designed" for the cabinet, but I'm not finding anything that actually says that. I checked the Overview and Specs statements for the BC112 on the Vox website, which simply says that "the BC112 is loaded with a 12" Celestion V-Type for a well-balanced sound."

When I checked the manual for the BC108 AND BC112, it says that "This cabinet has been specially voiced and designed to get the most out of your VOX MV50." Notice in that sentence that the "specially voiced and designed" aspect is attributed to the "cabinet."

So I went back and listened to some of Winter NAMM 2017 videos showcasing the MV50 series and the accompanying BC cabs. In those videos, Corey Witt, Product Marketing Manager from Korg, representing Vox, said that the two cabs available in the BC series (at the time, January 2017, BC108 & BC112) "...have been custom-voiced to work with the MV50 amplifiers."

So what does "custom-voiced" mean? Is that referring to just the cabinet material? The semi-open back/oval port design? The speaker itself? All of the above? I realize I have not shared any authoritative statements that give a definitive answer, but that's largely my point. In my search, I haven't read or heard anything that answers the question.

Durberville likes this.
  8. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

My understanding is that it applies to all the factors: size, open/closed ratio and shape, material selection (pine, ply, mdf), speaker selection, and any special requests to the speaker manufacture for the speaker run (such as any tweaks they want to say the doping†). They all impact the voice of the speaker to various degrees. Basically I think they are saying the designed a cab for the MV50 line rather than just using a cab they already had designed for a different product.

† From what I gather is pretty common for a amp/cab manufacturer to make requests of speaker manufacturers, and it depends how much of a divergence from the stock product it is, as well as the manufacturers own labeling practices, whether it gets relabeled as a custom speaker model, or just ignored.

Durberville and LGOberean like this.
  9. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

The AC4C1-12 comes with a speaker labeled as a VX12. I suspect if the BC112 comes with a speaker labels V-Type, they might be different.

Durberville likes this.
  10. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

Yes it says 'v type'

11. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

12. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Oh... missed this thread! Been a MV50 Clean owner since first day the came out.

I have a question about powering for you guys.

I have an idea about using the AC adapter with a Cioks Link power supply. The Cioks has a mains out, and a "link cable" cable that will fit the Vox adapter.

Now, heres the part I don't understand. The MV50 has a current consumption of 3.43A. But the adapter say "Input 1.5A".
    So does that mean that the adapter "takes" 1.5A and transforms it into 3.43A for the MV50? Or does the adapter also draws 3.43A from the source of power?

The Cioks power supply har max output 2A on the "mains out".

Is it possible to connect the adapter to the Cioks safely?

13. luckett

luckett Banned

The adapter will draw 1.5A just like it says on the adapter.

the tool likes this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

You certainly can. Just back off the "mix" knob. The overdrive will magnify the reverb, so you need to dial it back. It works just fine doing it that way.

15. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Ah. Thanks.

16. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Any information on which amp the MV50 Clean is voiced after? We know the Rock version simulates marshall, Boutiqe resembles Dumble etc. But i have no info on Clean version.

It’s obviously Fender but which one? Blues Deluxe? DRRI? Twin Reverb? Or any other?

I will be choosing drive pedals depending upon this so this information is critical for me.

17. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

It really isn’t relevant how much current the adapter will draw if you aren’t planning on using the adapter.

What you need to consider is the power that the adapter SUPPLIES to your pedal. And that is 3.43a at 19v. It seems unlikely that you will find a pedalboard power supply that will provide this voltage at this amount of current since they are geared towards 9v and 18v (and sometimes 12v) pedals which draw between 5ma and perhaps. 500ma.

If your goal is to replace this power supply, you’ll need one that can produce its output specs. BUT if your goal is to use this power supply in the AC utility outlet of your pedalboard power supply, then the input specs are what matter.

18. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

I think i’ve read a few comments here and there (forums and reviews) that its sound ”Blackface”. I wouldnt now, as i am not experienced with amp voicings. Bit thats what i’ve read.

ozan likes this.
  19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I don’t think Vox ever got that specific,and to my ear it is fairly generic. Clearly not a Tweed or Blonde era tone. Could be BF, but could also be more current model oriented. I’d recommend getting the Clean first, and then deciding for yourself what will work best.

20. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

This ^

To clarify, i will use the AC adapter, plug it in into the AC mains out on the Cioks unit. Its good because cioks have a short cable that is C14 to C5 that is normalt used to ”Link” more power supplies, and the Vox AC adapter has C5 in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.