1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Henning is so adamant about the whole “can’t use reverb or delay in front of an overdriven amp” thing. Any opinions on that debate?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Durberville likes this.
  2. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Personally I don’t mind some delay into the front of the amp. Obviously you have to adapt the delay mix to the extra compression. I’m not a huge reverb fan in general and putting it into the front exaggerated the stuff I like least about it.

3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I use a little delay into my reverb. Actually, the delay is set for just 1 repeat - I copied the way Matt Schofield uses his main delay, and liked the results. I like my reverb to be "not too wet". So maybe my settings are gentle enough to work even in front of a driven amp. But the truth is I rarely set me amp very driven anyway. I like to have the option of cleaning things up by stepping on a pedal. So my amp is usually clean-ish, or a little driven, and I get the rest from my pedals. So maybe the way I set my amps has a lot to do with why it doesn't bother me that there is no loop.

con brio likes this.
  4. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

That all makes sense. I like to have a range of different dirt sounds available to me, which pushes any amp that could do what I want out of my price range, so I’m basically all pedal dirt into either a complete clean or basically clean amp (the Greta doesn’t really do clean though).

5. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

1532962566062.jpg
    I've been using this mooer red truck multi fx with my mv50 clean, only got it Friday and I used it for 3 gigs over the weekend , I'm using the overdrive as a dirty channel and the distortion as lead solos , the reverb is perfect as is the delay .
    Best of all it fits into the back of my vox bc112 cab.

6. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Very cool. The convenience factor is enticing. But I don't think I could give up my pedalboard for one of these types of all-in-one pedal platforms.

Durberville likes this.
  7. Durberville

Durberville Tele-Meister

I often only have 30 min to set up and sound check as well as running the sound , setting up drums etc , so the convenience really works for me plus it sounds so good.

8. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Well, he’s wrong.

It’s more difficult and prone to fussiness, but you certainly can and it can sound good.

I use a Catalinbread Talisman for reverb in front of an amp. It’s got a set of controls that allow it to be useful with an overdriven amp. Many delays can be tweaked as well, but it’s a different sound than the standard crystal clear repeats.

Durberville likes this.
  9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I’ve had a chance to use the MV50 Clean a few times since I got it.

The good:

Sounds nice and allows for some dynamics when I push it with a Klone or the SPC control (mid boost) on my guitar.

Other than that, very clean.

Pretty loud at 25W. I run it into two 16ohm 1x12 cabinets for 8ohm total.

Not too spiky or harsh, which was a concern.

Works well with my pedal board.

It’s teeny tiny and will be perfect for what I bought it for.

Potential concerns:

The chicken head knobs and pots feel really cheap. Can’t imagine them standing up to much abuse.

I don’t like the slider switches on the back. Again, they feel cheap and I worry about their durability.

In all, considering it cost as much as a pedal and covers my wants as far as sound and portability go, I’d say it’s a winner for me. I will just have to be extra careful with it.

radiocaster and Durberville like this.
  10. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

To answer LGOberean's question,
    I don't know if there is a 112 4 ohm guitar cab available, there could be but I usually use two 8 ohm cabinets if I want to push 50 watts. I recently built a 4ohm cab with a 10" on the bottom and an 8" on top. The bottom half of the cab is open backed and the top half is closed . Works very well.
    So you need to use two 8 ohm cab or a 210 or 212 cab wired in parallel to get your 4 ohms.
    Didn't mean to be away from this forum so long but I had totally forgotten I started it!
    Lot's to catch up on,lol

Durberville likes this.
  11. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

I have had the MV50AC for a year now and it is my main gigging amp. Volume is not an issue . I use my aforementioned custom made 4ohm cab with a 10" and an 8". I always had the deep switch on . My last gig I used my zoom g1on to add a tiny bit of compression, reverb and EQ and just used the volume knob on my strat to clean and dirty my sound.
    Great sound!

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for addressing my concerns. As for a 4 ohm 1x12" cab, if there's one out there, I haven't found it. And I have neither the tools nor the skills to custom make my own cab.

But things are a bit different now. All of my amps are combos, so I don't have a cab to use with an MV50, thus adding to the expense of an MV50 rig, significantly so if I opt for anything beyond the little BC08 cab. I was focused on the AC version of the MV50, but now that they've come out with essentially that amp in the Mini Super Beetle, I've got my sights set on that. The accompanying cab is loaded with an 8 ohm, 10" Celestion speaker, so 25 watt output (hence the designation MSB25). The rear panel has two speaker outputs, so connecting a second 8 ohm cab (like the BC112) would yield the full 50 watt capability. I'm currently only gigging at one venue where I think I might need more than 25 watts, so this little rig would be giggable for me. So high on my list is the Mini Super Beetle, then maybe a second cab, then maybe the Boutique version of the MV50 to play through said cab(s).

13. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

The skills required to make a cab are easy to learn. I made a 2x10 open back from scratch as a first woodworking project. While I went to the hard end and hand cut dovetails and covered it in vinyl, you can scale that right back to butt joints and screw and glue if you want a less challenging first project.

For tools I took an 8 week evening class at a local highschool to be able to use their tools and have access to a tutor to help me. It’s worth seeing what is available in your area.

14. LGOberean

Hmmm...that approach hadn't occurred to me. I've never tinkered with electronics or done woodworking as a hobby. Now I'm pushing 65 and have neither the tools nor the skills, and I've been pessimistic to even consider it at this stage in the game. But if I found a local situation that taught a class and gave me the access to the tools I needed, maybe... For a cab that I was going to gig with, I would want to go "to the hard end" as well, as in dovetail joints. Also, I've got some leftover salvaged lumber from a house fire 8 years ago that I'd want to use for the cab, and I wouldn't want to hide it under vinyl/tolex covering.

15. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

If you’ve got good solid wood, rather than cheap pine leaving it uncovered would be the nicer option for sure. Its extremely hard to come by nice wood down here in NZ; we are a pine producing country and all the native timber was logged out decades ago.

If it’s any use I wrote up my build project with some pictures of the progress and links to useful resources I used when I was building it: https://brehaut.net/blog/2017/speaker_cab_build_report

16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I have no woodworking skills or tools. So I simply go out looking for cheap empty cabinets. Twice I've managed to pick up 1x12 combo cabinets really cheap ($25 or less). I closed up the chassis cutout in front with some wood (that doesn't require much skill), and installed a speaker of my choosing (Eminence sells a 4 ohm Texas Heat BTW). It turned out to be a cheap and low stress way to go. I use both of these cabinets with my MV50.

I've also gotten empty Blues Junior cabinets, but not as cheap (closer to $100). My needs were different there though. I was building a combo (I do the electronics only), so I used these BJ cabinets as the starting points.

con brio likes this.
  17. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I'm told that the 'super' boxes in bee-hives are good for speaker cabs. Often they come flat-packed with dovetailed joints.

[​IMG]

Nickadermis and con brio like this.
  18. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

That’s looks like a good hack. The only thing I’d want to be careful about is knots. By the look of that it doesn’t matter for beehives, but it may for a cab: as the wood dries out the knots can separate from the test of the wood and start to cause a buzz.

19. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I've got a question: The only cab I have at the moment is one containing a 16-ohm Fane AXA12. Has anybody played one of the MV amps through a 16-ohm load? I'm curious if it would give me any volume at all.

20. LGOberean

Thanks for the link to your write up of your build project. I haven't read every word yet, but it looks like it might be helpful, even for me.

As far as the wood I have is concerned, like I said it was salvaged (by me) from our house fire in May 2010. Our house was built by a family member in 1935-36. The exterior and interior walls were ship-lap construction, using long planks of old growth, construction grade Long Leaf Pine. So it's 82-83 year old lumber, thoroughly dried out. The planks have a nice grain, but there are knots and blemishes. However, that is exactly what I would want to show. I'd want to do a poly coating to the wood and let the nail holes, the marks from hammer blows, etc. show, so that the very look of the amp cabinet would tell its own story.

Lumber for Logan Custom Firecasters - 2.jpg

BTW, I've already utilized some of this lumber for a tele style guitar custom made for me by Bob Logan of Logan Custom Guitars. And of course I call it my "Firecaster" (tele style, fire salvaged wood). So I've long thought about having an amp cabinet made, what a great rig for gigs THAT would be! I just didn't consider doing it myself.

My Logan Custom Firecaster 01.jpg My Logan Custom Firecaster 02.jpg My Logan Custom Firecaster 03.jpg My Logan Custom Firecaster, lower bout - 1.jpg

con brio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.