1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vox MV50 Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sluglas, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

I believe thats the speaker used in the new Marshall Dsl 40 series which many rave about

2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

So that would mean that the new AC10 has a 12" speaker. Previously, it had a 10" Vox VX-10.

3. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

No, it's still a 10".

http://www.voxamps.com/AC10C1VSLtd

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

So it sounds good to me. But what I'd like to know is if anyone here has one. I'll take what input I can get. It'd be great if you have a demo of your playing, but I'd at least like to hear what you think of it. Or even other video recommendations, if you have any.[/QUOTE]

Returning to MV50 discussion, I'm still wondering if anybody here has snagged the Boutique and has any input on it. The first amp I want to pick up now is the Mini Super Beetle, so I'm no longer GASing for the MV50 AC. But for an additional/backup amp, the Boutique sounds good in the various video demos I've seen.

The Boutique's supposed to be clone the Dumble Overdrive Special sounds, right? At least, that's what "BTQ" refers to on other Vox amp offerings like the Adio Air GT/Adio GT modeling amp and the VT series.

To tell the truth, I'm not well versed on Dumble amps. I know that they're "boutique" in the sense of a one guy building only one at a time. I know that some guitar greats swear by 'em, like Robben Ford, and (I think) Larry Carlton. So I'm sure I've heard the amps in some famous recordings. I've listened to YouTube videos of Dumble amps, but frankly, while they sound good, to my ears they don't sound $50K plus worth of good.

So I'm not looking for an MV50 model that sounds just like a Dumble, since I don't really even know what that would sound like. Based on the video demos I've watched of the MV50 Boutique, the amp sounds good to me in its own right. It has a warmth and sweetness to the cleans, and seems to stay pretty clean even with the Gain set well past noon, and yet has a nice crunch when called for. Anyone care to comment on that assessment that owns one?

savofenno likes this.
  5. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure a Vox rep at a NAMM said that the Boutique is based off an amp that rhymes with 'fumble' so Dumble i guess.

From what I understand, the price is based on name: dumble apparently tweaks each amp for the specific player or studio that orders it, and he sells them for the price they go for on the second hand market to disuade flippers. So not only are you paying for the Dumble name, you are paying for the big name artist who it was made for (SRV, Ford, Mayer etc).

1000 foot view of the tone is that they are that souped up cascading preamp gain thing that you might associate with say a Mesa Mk series amp, but generally voiced smoother and not actually targeted at the high gain sound? When they are clean the seem to be fairly fendery with maybe a bit more compression available?

6. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Let’s get real. A Dumble is a modified Fender, but the mods make the amp rather different. No pedal, and no solid state or hybrid amp will achieve exactly the Dumble tone, and as much as I like my MV50 AC, it doesn’t achieve exactly the AC30 or AC15 tone either.

The MV50 Boutique, from what I have heard in some videos, has the potential (in the right hands) to get in the ballpark of those smooth, gainey without being grainy sounds that are common among jazz players. Do some of them use Dumbles....yes. Does it sound like a Dumble....not so much, but in the ballpark. But the guy who did those demos (Gregor?) has amazing hands. His touch is more important than the amp in those videos. That is my opinion of most Pete Thorn videos as well - I will never sound like that even with identical equipment. So be careful when purchasing based on videos. I use Amazon as a way of ensuring an easy return if I am not happy.

Just look at these MV50 amps for what they are: there is a clean one, a Voxy voiced one, a Marshall voiced one, a Metal voiced one, and a cleanish low gain voiced one. If you like how they sound, DING DING DING....we have a winner. If you don’t, move on.

I like them. :)

7. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Given the proported variance between Dumbles of a given nominal model, trying to nail down exactly what a Dumble amp
    sounds like seems to be a fools errand, even compared to other families of amps. Seems like using that diffuse range as a reference point for ballpark tone they are going for is as good as anything. I don’t personally see much point worrying if it accurate or not reproduces the sounds of a series of amps I’ll never get to play either. If it sounds good it ultimately doesn’t matter what they were trying to hit

8. LGOberean

sliberty, con brio, I agree. I'm not looking for a mini Dumble amp for $220. While I might have heard recordings of some famous players playing through them, I've never heard a Dumble amp in person, to my knowledge, much less played through one myself. So my preoccupation with the Dumble details behind the MV50 Boutique is just...well, my preoccupation with details, I guess. My youngest daughter says I put the "anal" in analytical. :oops:

I'd like to have the Mini Super Beetle and maybe also one of the MV50 models (other than the AC version, since that would be redundant), and for me the one that makes the most sense is the Dumble...er, "Boutique." Like I said, it sounds good to me in its own right, never mind what it was patterned after.

And sliberty, I also agree about Gregor Hilden's tone being more about his hands than the amp. I've watched countless demo videos of Gregor's over the years, and he tends to sound pretty much the same no matter what he's playing or playing through. I don't mean that as an insult; it's just his touch gives him a distinctive tone, like you said. You can pick up on nuances of difference between his playing a Tele or a Strat or a Paul, and on the differences between his playing through his '63 Vibroverb or say, the MV50 AC or MV50 Boutique. But through it all he still sounds like Gregor.

9. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

@LGOberean

Any time my friend tells me I sound the same no matter what guitar / amp I play, I consider that a compliment. I interpret that to mean that I have a sound of my own. Maybe its just wishful thinking :) But with more talented players, like Gregor, I think it is very true that their hands/head/heart are the major contributors to their tone.

Since I haven't played through the Rock, Super Beetle Mini, High Gain or the Boutique, my impressions of those are from videos. They all sound really good to my ears. But overall, here is how I would describe each model (your ears may differ - mine are pretty shot):

Clean - clean most of the way up the dial. Eventually gets a little compressed and a little overdriven, but not that much.
    AC - clean when gain is set low. Cleanish until almost noon. Beyond noon, it starts to be very overdriven. Can get bright, a little buzzy, and a little thinner way up the dial.
    Rock - I have no info to offer
    Boutique - clean when gain is set low. Cleanish until ????. Eventually gets fairly compressed and pretty overdriven. Might be about as gainy as the AC but sounds different. Voiced differently from the Super Beetle Mini too.
    High Gain - the name says it all, but there is some clean with the gain set low.
    Super Beetle Mini - clean when gain is set low. Cleanish until ????. Eventually gets a bit more compressed and somewhat overdriven. Not as gainy as the AC, but not as clean as the Clean

If any of you have experience with the models I do not, please feel free to correct me. If you disagree with me on the Clean or the AC, well you just are wrong :) Only kidding. But since I own both of those, I guess it would come down to how hot your pickups are, and your playing style as well as any pedals you are hitting the amp with. And of course, opinions can differ regardless of any other similarities in rigs.

10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I couldn’t pass up on a deal yesterday and now have an MV50 Clean on the way. With an EBay discount code and a sale at the seller’s store I ended up paying $155 for a brand new one.

I’m mainly looking to use it as a clean pedal platform for rehearsals and as a gig backup. It’ll save me from lugging a heavier amp to practice all the time and I can stuff it in my bag for emergencies at gigs.

11. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Be careful - you may find that you end up using it for your main gigging amp too :)

Great deal. I love my Clean as a pedal platform.

Durberville likes this.
  12. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

That wouldn’t bother me at all!

Durberville likes this.
  13. LGOberean

To clarify my position/situation, I do not own the Clean or AC or any of the MV50 versions, yet, let alone the Mini Super Beetle. What's been holding me back to this point has been the lack of a cab to run it through, so the $200 price tag, as appealing as that is, isn't the only expense for me. So to this point, all of my impressions are from videos.

The MSB25 stack, with its accompanying cab with a 10" speaker, has answered the cabinet issue for me in an affordable package. (I wish they'd done a 1x12", though, but then again with the 1x10" the stack weighs less than 20 lbs., so that's good.) So I figure that down the road I could get a second NuTube amp from the MV50 series, and if I don't have a second cab by then, I'd just run it through the cab of the MSB25. And as I've said, I'm not a pedal guy or a hard rocker, so neither the Clean nor the Rock or High Gain models will suit me. So I'm looking hard at the Boutique.

Oh, and as for ears being shot, I "hear" you on that. :rolleyes: Mine are not what they once were, for three reasons: (1) they're nearly 65 years old; (2) I used to drive a bulk oil tanker, delivering to refineries and the like, not the quietest of environments; (3) tinnitus from an overdose of quinine (long story there).

14. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

In my case its Tinnitus from an overdose of HiWatt :(

Actually, although I did use a HiWatt Custom 100 through a Marshall 4x12 and a Univox 2 tone blue 2x12, the real damage was done by my friend's Bruce amp. I was sitting 5 feet away when one of the "older kids" from the neighborhood grabbed my Tele, exclaimed "wow, a real Fender", and proceeded to copy Hendrix riffs with the Bruce amp on 11. My ears were ringing on the way home that day, and have been ringing ever since (that was about 45 years ago).

But my HiWatt didn't help matters....although its an amp like no other.

LGOberean likes this.
  15. LGOberean

Wow! Instantaneous, permanent damage?!? :eek: Sorry, man!

I contracted malaria when living Papua New Guinea in the mid-1980s. I made a trip up and back on the Sepik River in a dugout canoe (30' long felled tree, hollowed out) to retrieve a sick man from a village on the banks of the river. At dusk on the return trip, mosquitoes rolled in along the water's surface like a fog bank. I was the only Caucasian in the canoe, and just before the skeeters engulfed us, the daughter of the sick man turned to me and said, "Ol bai kaikaim yu planti!" Which roughly translates to the more Texas expression, "They're gonna eat you alive!" And she wasn't wrong; those skeeters loved white meat. :( When I got home, I had so many bites I looked like I had the measles. In short order, I had an outbreak of malaria parasites in my bloodstream.

Back in Texas six months later, I had another malaria outbreak, and the doctor's couldn't definitively diagnose it, and they couldn't accept my diagnosis. Oh, they believed me, but of course for liability reasons they couldn't let me self-diagnose. So the process of drawing my blood just after a fevered attack, or even during the throes of an attack, went on for 6 days. I called it my six day war. One day I would have a fever of 104°F, the next day my temp would drop to below normal. It was a hellish roller coaster.

They finally got a doc from a center for infectious diseases in San Antonio to make the diagnosis. It was my own "MV40": Malaria (disease); Vivax (species of parasites); 40°C (my high temps). They then prescribed large doses of straight quinine for ten days. Too strong a dosage, as it turns out. One of the potential side effects of quinine can be peripheral nerve damage, often involving the ears and resulting in tinnitus, as in my case. So I've lived with the ringing/hissing sound for 31 years.

I told you it was a long story! :oops:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    tce63 and Bristlehound like this.
  16. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I blame Geezer Butler for my tinnitus. I was right in front of him and the speaker stack in 1978 after Van Halen were the support band. Coventry Odeon if I remember!

Geez - they were loud!

17. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

if you're sooo DUmbler fan, try Dumbler pedal (not my intention to steel the thread, sorry)

18. LGOberean

You didn't quote everything I wrote. I outright said that "I'm not well versed on Dumble amps...So I'm not looking for an MV50 model that sounds just like a Dumble, since I don't really even know what that would sound like. Based on the video demos I've watched of the MV50 Boutique, the amp sounds good to me in its own right."

If you were trying to steer me in the direction of a cheaper alternative via pedals to achieve Dumble tone, I appreciate the thought, but that's not what I'm after. I was thinking that in addition to the Mini Super Beetle, which I'm GASing for big time, I'd like a backup MV50 that I could run through the cabinet. The AC version would be redundant, the High Gain and Rock versions are not for me since I don't do hard rock or high gain stuff, and I'm not really a pedal guy, so the Clean is not what I'm after either. Hence I'm looking at the "Boutique." Whether it sounds anything like any of the Dumbles out there is irrelevant.

guitarmikey, Durberville and tce63 like this.
  19. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

The attenuator bringing the Clean model down to 1/4 watt has been a life saver for me getting practice in during the evenings while the under one kiddo is sleeping. It may not sound great but it’s workable and that’s better than the other amps I have. The two band EQ helps too. Very happy I got this amp

20. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A comparison of all the MV models in one place.

They all sound quite good to me!

Durberville likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.