Vox MV50 for direct to PA vs Iridium, ASC1 etc or something else?

Activateclint

Tele-Meister
Hey Twangers!
The band has reformed and no one has real instruments anymore haha. Elec kit and Bass DI to desk, their farts are the loudest thing on stage now after my tube amp.
So looking for a direct to PA, clean pedal platform solution that I can plug my pedalboard into. Ive revisited looking at those Vox MV50 amp heads with the Nu-Tube things (probably "Clean" or "Boutique" model) as they can also power a cab when needed or line out with or without a cab sim. Then I could also put an IR loader after it of choice. Maybe id even sell the amp with a baby on the way and needing silent or quiet playing, still have PA speakers to run through.
Anyhow, anyone choosing them over the newer Iridium and ASC1 type digital modelling for a more natural sound?
Surely the Nu-Tube reacts more "amp like" to boost/drive pedals than the digital ones above?
Just after 1 good pedal platform tone that preferably has that analogue (dare I say tube) warmth.

Cheers,
Clint

Activateclint

Tele-Meister
Iridium is my pick. What are you using for monitoring? In ears?
Thanks for the reply! Im sure you can't go wrong with the iridium or ASC1 and happy to go with one of those but just looking for that 1 good sound, like I said maybe they react better to pedals. Have you tried the MV50 series?
I'll have a small powered wedge in front of me :)

Fluddman

Tele-Holic
Sorry haven't used any of the MV50 series.

I take it you trying to keep you current pedal board and run it into 'something' and then into the PA.

I run my pedal board into the iridium and then into the PA. I also use a HX Stomp or a small amp.

So many choices!

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I had the MV50 clean for a short time. For a basic clean amp tone it sounded really, really good. Mine had an issue with shutting itself off and back on again, so I returned it. Based on that experience I decided against trying to gig with one.
I now own a Line 6 HX Stomp and occasionally I study how to use it. I haven't played it very much except for in basic "stomp box" mode so I can't comment too much. But all the basic amps are in there and it would definitely work for a silent stage.

dswo

Tele-Holic
Also to consider: Vox's Valvenergy pedals, which use the same NuTube technology as the MV50. I have the Mystic Edge (stupid name), which is supposed to be an AC-30 in a box. You can run it into amp, or you can switch on the built-in cab sim and run it into a PA. You'd need a second pedal for reverb and trem (if you use those things). There's also a clean (Fender?) version of the pedal, a Dumble version, and a Marshall version.

Togman

Tele-Afflicted
I found myself in the same position as the OP about 3 years ago. I ended up getting a Helix floor. After the initial few weeks of getting to know how to use and tweak it, I've never looked back. I've since sold my tube amp and all of my individual pedals.

I appreciate that this set-up will not appeal to all - but it works well for me.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Ive revisited looking at those Vox MV50 amp heads with the Nu-Tube things (probably "Clean" or "Boutique" model) as they can also power a cab when needed or line out with or without a cab sim. Then I could also put an IR loader after it of choice.

I looked into this option in the past... but IIRC the line out "cab sim" cannot be defeated on the MV. Placing an IR loader in that chain becomes reduntant (cab into cab) and unpredictable. The cab sim included with the MV50 is also a one trick pony with zero control. You like it, or you don't.

If you could run the output into a load box, then into the IR loader it would be fine.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I’ve been tempted to try an MV50 Clean but that laptop-looking proprietary power supply cord seems a lot like the one on my little Behringer mixer...kind of a pain. I wish the MV series would have had internal power supplies, and wonder how much larger and more expensive that would have made them.

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’ve been tempted to try an MV50 Clean but that laptop-looking proprietary power supply cord seems a lot like the one on my little Behringer mixer...kind of a pain. I wish the MV series would have had internal power supplies, and wonder how much larger and more expensive that would have made them.
I can attest to this.
I have an MV50 AC. Great little amp for a 1-trick pony AC30 TB tone but ...
The little plastic surround sleeve on the back of the amp that the tip of the power supply goes into cracked, broke and fell out within in a month of me getting it. I've only used it in my little recording space and have never 'gigged' it.
Thankfully it actually still works fine. I should figure out how to secure it better.
*I got it second hand and cheap so I wasn't gonna bother sending it back.

Activateclint

Tele-Meister
Thanks for all the replies and sorry about my late response!
Because it is a kinda 2nd thing to taking the amp and I rarely play band gigs now, I was looking for something affordable. Would go for probably the ACS1 if I was serious and wanted a heap of options. I really just want 1 good base tone.
dswo: Now that is an even better idea with the Valvenergy (silk drive maybe) as I would probably only use the line out feature. I've just ordered a Sonicake IR loader also as I actually have a Joyo American Sound (there middy I said it haha) that I will try it with. Whats really appealing is those Valvenergy pedals have hopefully that warmer tubeish tone than the fully digital pedals, 100% analogue, 9v power, pedal/preamp/cabsim modes and hopefully takes pedals really well like the MV50 heads. Could they do a headphone out maybe?

dswo

Tele-Holic
I looked into this option in the past... but IIRC the line out "cab sim" cannot be defeated on the MV. Placing an IR loader in that chain becomes reduntant (cab into cab) and unpredictable. The cab sim included with the MV50 is also a one trick pony with zero control. You like it, or you don't.

If you could run the output into a load box, then into the IR loader it would be fine.

A Valvenergy pedal can do this: the 2nd of its 3 modes is for running it into the effects return/power section of an amp.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
I bought a used MV50AC a year or two back as I missed a Vox Night Train head that I'd had before and sold. It certainly does seem to do that 'one trick' AC sound and given it's limited single tone control and gain it doesn't give much to play with. However, I have used mine to record with and can use the recorder's EQ to tweak it further. If you have enough level going into the PA/mixer then you could even use it as a clean amp/pedal platform I guess.

This is a really old recording I did using a Roland D5 drum machine (took ages to program the fills, etc and it sounds a bit 'clunky' listening to it now). I re-recorded the lead and rhythm parts using my MV50AC into my Tascam SD32, adding a bit of reverb in the Tascam.

It doesn't show much in the way of the overdrive sounds it gives, but I'd guess most Youtube demos will do that anyway. It works pretty well into a 1x12 Greenback cab I have as well.

Activateclint

Tele-Meister
I bought a used MV50AC a year or two back as I missed a Vox Night Train head that I'd had before and sold. It certainly does seem to do that 'one trick' AC sound and given it's limited single tone control and gain it doesn't give much to play with. However, I have used mine to record with and can use the recorder's EQ to tweak it further. If you have enough level going into the PA/mixer then you could even use it as a clean amp/pedal platform I guess.

This is a really old recording I did using a Roland D5 drum machine (took ages to program the fills, etc and it sounds a bit 'clunky' listening to it now). I re-recorded the lead and rhythm parts using my MV50AC into my Tascam SD32, adding a bit of reverb in the Tascam.

It doesn't show much in the way of the overdrive sounds it gives, but I'd guess most Youtube demos will do that anyway. It works pretty well into a 1x12 Greenback cab I have as well.

Sounds great :) thanks for posting!
Reminds me of watching the surf film The Endless Summer.
The idea for me is being able to go straight to the mixing desk and leave the amp at home. If I was going to use it as a head with a cab id just bring my amp so looks like the Valvenergy pedals are an ideal solution.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
When I went that route a couple years ago (now I’m back to a JCM 800 til the sound men tell me otherwise!), I went with an Effectrode Blackbird tube pre into a Torpedo CAB for live use instead of the Iridium. Sounded like a Twin through the monitors.

Honestly, wasn’t that impressed with the Iridium when I had it, personally.

scelestus

Tele-Afflicted
I don't own one myself but if that were my situation I'd want to try out a Quilter Superblock. US/UK is up to you.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Joyo American Sound (there middy I said it haha) that I will try it with. Whats really appealing is those Valvenergy pedals have hopefully that warmer tubeish tone than the fully digital pedals, 100% analogue,

Just FYI, the Joyo is 100% analog. It's based on cheap mass production SMD components, but yes, it's all analog SS.

Last edited: